IF the NFL Cancels 2020 Season - What would it look like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
As the COVID-19 situation continues to unfold, the possibility of the NCAA and the NFL having to cancel their upcoming Football seasons grows larger each day. While I am not saying that this will happen and I would like to stay optimistic, I am curious how it would play out in regards to the NCAA, the NFL , Free Agency and the 2021 Draft.

I do think if the NCAA cancels, unless something epic changes after that, the NFL will almost have to follow in kind or risk looking like a greedy business that cares more about profit then the health of humans. I also don't think "playing games" without fans physically in the stadiums is an option either. The NCAA thought about that for basketball and then they realized that the players, game personnel and anyone else involved are still at risk. Further, by doing so, it totally flies in the face of what everyone else is being told to do, maintain social distancing.

So for argument sake, lets pretend the 2020 season is cancelled for everyone. My questions are:
  • Are any of the players paid their salaries including newly signed rookies?
  • If a players contract expires at the end of the 2020 season, will the cancelled season effect that or just like any year, they become a free agent next March? I assume yes.
  • With the NCAA cancelling, how will that effect eligibility of players? Would most get that season back? How does that effect the draft pool?
  • Would knowing that there wasn't going to be a 2020 season or a good possibility of it, change your approach to the upcoming draft?
Even if both the NFL and college programs are able to hold their seasons, when will they be able to start practicing again? How will the layoff effect injuries and play?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Edited title

You afraid that I might have created a panic in here by not using the word "IF"? ;)

I'm never going to be a trashy media reporter if you don't allow me to put up a good click bait title! :D

Last edited:
I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Sadly this.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

And that would be a shame.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Sadly this.

And that would be a shame.

I will take that image over this one and I know you would too Mate.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have no doubt that the billionaires and millionaires will continue to somehow reap obscene compensation, this time from doing nothing at all instead of just providing entertainment - while countless Joe Sixpacks are unable to work or have to expose themselves to danger for a pittance.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No idea, but at this point without a complete 180 in approach and attitude towards this there will be no season. I'm not even fooling myself at this point to think there will be.

I think people are being a little dramatic with the caskets. Let's get serious here. We lose 8-9 thousand people every single day in this country. We are losing about 500 per day across the globe of 7.5 BILLION people from Corona. Even if all 500 per day were in this country every day we're not going to run out of caskets. we lose double that to HD every single day and I see more people *****ing about Fast food workers not changing gloves between customers these days than give 2 ***** about what they put in their mouths every day.

I

No idea, but at this point without a complete 180 in approach and attitude towards this there will be no season. I'm not even fooling myself at this point to think there will be.

I think people are being a little dramatic with the caskets. Let's get serious here. We lose 8-9 thousand people every single day in this country. We are losing about 500 per day across the globe of 7.5 BILLION people from Corona. Even if all 500 per day were in this country every day we're not going to run out of caskets. we lose double that to HD every single day and I see more people *****ing about Fast food workers not changing gloves between customers these days than give 2 ***** about what they put in their mouths every day.

For pity sake mate, there is nothing dramatic about the caskets..We, the UK just lost over 680 plus people to this virus. Two the other day were 13 and 17 with no underlying illness......This **** is for real. Three people I know personally have lost relatives to this thing. It is seriously scaring the **** out of me now !

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Healthy people are dying now.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For pity sake mate, there is nothing dramatic about the caskets..We, the UK just lost over 680 plus people to this virus. Two the other day were 13 and 17 with no underlying illness......This **** is for real. Three people I know personally have lost relatives to this thing. It is seriously scaring the **** out of me now !
500 per day in a world of 7.5 billion. you can think of me whatever you will. even if all 500 a day were in the US, it would hardly bump the death rate.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
If the NFL cancels the 2020 season, I think football will be the last thing on people's minds to be honest. For the NFL to lose out on millions (maybe a billion) dollars, that means that the rest of the country is likely still out of work, struggling to pay bills, buy food, etc.

If life is back to normal with the exception of NFL season being cancelled and for some reason the NCAA is still BAU, then there will be a TON of bandwagon Clemson, LSU and Alabama fans out there. Prices to college games would sky rocket and the NCAA would prosper.

NFL players would be out of jobs and complaining, but hopefully all working on their degrees had they not finished college.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
500 per day in a world of 7.5 billion. you can think of me whatever you will. even if all 500 a day were in the US, it would hardly bump the death rate.

read this on a fb post

While it’s not the only disease in circulation, it’s the only disease cause massive economical hardships to many people and businesses. If people cared more about their community and how their behavior affects others, we could get a handle on this disease. Unfortunately, this country has turned into a “it doesn’t affect me so I don’t care” mentality.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
we're not going to run out of caskets

While you are entitled to your opinion, my concern isn't running out of caskets. My concern is putting people in them needlessly, simply because selfish individuals didn't see this for what it actually is and continues to be.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ahhh yes, First off, don't pretend to think you know me or my daily life. asking questions isn't selfish.

2nd, it's completely selfish to think about physiology, immunology run the numbers and think about a situation. It's completely normal and selfless to think society must shut down because you're afraid. Got it.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
ahhh yes, First off, don't pretend to think you know me or my daily life. asking questions isn't selfish.

Tell me where you are asking questions with the post below? Frame your opinion in any which way that makes you feel comfortable and project the image that you want, but those are not questions, nor were most of your previous posts. You are making bold statements.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ahhh yes, all my thoughts and question need to be repeated into every single post I make. You pay attention correct? you've probably read some of my questions

and yes, you're being a little dramatic with the caskets. 500 people a day across 7.5 Billion. Do the math. We could quadruple it today and it still wouldn't bump the death rate to any appreciable level. Life and death happen, every single day. call it bold if you must.

hey, you have it, now go home to your family.

Media interpretation, if you get really sick and they eventually take you back to the hospital, it's so infectious and deadly you must die alone

Bold statement. Should make you ask questions.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
ahhh yes, all my thoughts and question need to be repeated into every single post I make. You pay attention correct? you've probably read some of my questions

and yes, you're being a little dramatic with the caskets. 500 people a day across 7.5 Billion. Do the math. We could quadruple it today and it still wouldn't bump the death rate to any appreciable level. Life and death happen, every single day. call it bold if you must.

hey, you have it, now go home to your family.

Media interpretation, if you get really sick and they eventually take you back to the hospital, it's so infectious and deadly you must die alone

Bold statement. Should make you ask questions.

You really seem to not care..that might be why some have issues with your statement.

While other diseases are as important, this virus can be stopped to a certain degree by people doing their part.

That's the prob. people think it isn't a huge deal can pass this to someone who can be killed

If you don't care that's your opinion, but some people don't want to die because others felt it shouldn't be taken seriously

I

I hope when this is all over, I sincerely hope, and I do mean that, that you and I will still be around to have a chat about the Packers chances of winning a Superbowl, and what the new signings are doing to improve the team ;).

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How long would your "500 a day" stay "500 a day" if we were to resume normal activity? Not a difficult thought exercise there.

And fyi, it's not 500. It's currently ~5,000 per day. It was 500 a day a little over 2 weeks ago.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You really seem to not care..that might be why some have issues with your statement.

While other diseases are as important, this virus can be stopped to a certain degree by people doing their part.

That's the prob. people think it isn't a huge deal can pass this to someone who can be killed

If you don't care that's your opinion, but some people don't want to die because others felt it shouldn't be taken seriously
why do you think it's going to be stopped? it can be slowed with drastic measures, BUT NOBODY is self sufficient. NOBODY any more. Society hasn't functioned remotely in that function for a long time now. Even the little we've done so far is going to impact people for a long time. Lives will be ruined. If this runs into fall? oh man, society has a very good chance of collapsing completely across the globe. What do you think those implications are? people are free to take whatever precautions they feel necessary. If I felt that at risk, i wouldn't be going thru a drive thru with my dog to get ice cream and then ***** about the servers not changing gloves. and yes, i've seen it. The amount of idiocy and hypocrisy I see right now makes me embarrassed sometimes.

I happen to think much could be changed. Testing, Isolating, and some societal measures, yes. Instead of No testing, send home, treat only very sick that 1 place I read if you get ventilated your 80% good as gone. But then who's numbers do I believe at this point? I happen to think there are a lot of things that SHOULD have gone differently, but everyone was too busy making money. The experts and the leaders and now their only hope is convince all of us this is the only way. Fear equals compliance.

50% of the people I drive by every day were staring at their ****ing phones and NOW they're concerned about lives. despite everyone supposedly staying home, we have 82 deaths on just WI roadways this year already.

Yeah, I am a bit callous in all of this. I'm disgusted by most of America right now. NOW suddenly they care so much about their health LOL. Your average American is a walking disease themselves because of the choices they make willingly every single day of their lives without a single regret. I saw a guy tryin to publicly shame anyone still going to restaurants and putting all ,those workers and his family and everyone at risk because they're so selfish to think they were entitled to a served meal. Meanwhile I bust that blowhard at Woodman's buying a case of wine for his quarantine LOL Spare me the concern.

I do think it should be taken seriously, I also think the ramifications of what we're making society do should be taken seriously as well. So far nobody seems to be too much. they had 600 ventilators on stand by for crisis intervention that were flooded in LaX a couple years ago and left to sit. NOW they're concerned with having enough. Nobody was concerned when they were flooded, still cashing checks and putting it in their pockets. "health care managers" still taking in 6 figure salaries for moving money around and saving nobody.

The average American doesn't know what mask or how to use it effectively yet they want to demand we have more and everyone wear them everywhere. Gloves become nothing more than an extension of their hands. They're pissed the fast food worker serving their food didn't change between customers yet their sitting in a fast food line expecting food that was prepared and delivered in a sterile environment LOL. by all means, feel free to lambast me for going to Menards to work on a home project.

and you're right, I don't think this is that much different than normal. 500 people more per day in a world of 7.5 billion. Could quadruple right now and it wouldn't push the death rate anywhere. and we don't even know if it is "more" at this point. So far as I can tell, Americans still die between 8-9K per day from something, like always.

when they declare pandemics, things change. Like the need for a serologic diagnosis. It can be diagnosed because they've determined it to be more likely than not, through the last one with H1N1 proved those numbers to be woefully inaccurate when they were all gone over. is that happening now? I don't know. I do know almost all suspected cases are being sent home to families without tests. The same families they then need to keep away so they can die alone in the media accounts. Makes complete sense right? it does when fear=compliance.

I hope when this is all over, I sincerely hope, and I do mean that, that you and I will still be around to have a chat about the Packers chances of winning a Superbowl, and what the new signings are doing to improve the team ;).
as much as I'd never like to see your tiger nipples again, that would be fine with me if I was forced to again in the future :)

How long would your "500 a day" stay "500 a day" if we were to resume normal activity? Not a difficult thought exercise there.

And fyi, it's not 500. It's currently ~5,000 per day. It was 500 a day a little over 2 weeks ago.

60,000 since this started in December. Do the math. in 2 years when the numbers are poured over and I see the death rate in the US jumped to 12K a day for the year and then only returns to "normal". as long as we're between 8-9K like always I don't care what they call the deaths. Label them whatever you want. if we jump to 12 and then go down to 7K a day the following year, don't try and convince me we went thru anything "abnormal" only the names have changed.

another exercise that isn't difficult, how long can you shut down the global economy and not expect serious consequences?

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i don't think there's any convincing you of anything
if we have to sacrifice american lives on the altar of big business during times of crisis
then our system is broken
if tanking our economy convinces people of this
well, i'll take that sacrifice over your preferred sacrifice of american lives
just curious, was 9/11 just a nothing-burger, drop in the bucket to you as well?
or was that a rally around the flag moment?
i'm going to exit thread before i say anything regrettable
this is why we don't have a politics or world affairs sub-forum

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
There is a COVID-19 Thread for everyone to visit and chime in on.

My intention for starting this thread was more to talk about the items listed in my original post about the NFL and College Football. I am curious to know what people think will be happen. I apologize for my part in derailing this thread from the original topic.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I’m making this about the alter of big business vs human lives lol

This is why no serious conversations can ever be had.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I’m making this about the alter of big business vs human lives lol

This is why no serious conversations can ever be had.
I think serious conversations can be had, but these are sensitive times unfortunately, and not a lot of people practice restraint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts