IF the NFL Cancels 2020 Season - What would it look like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It may have been, but it should be a question every single person over the age of 15 should be asking themselves and trying to find the answers for or at least protect themselves and those they are responsible for from what is coming. The serious consequences on a societal level have not even begun to show themselves, though cascade of events has already been set in motion.

I agree that the economical impact of this is going to be crushing and felt for a long time. However, sometimes I get the feeling that you aren't recognizing that that economical impact could have been/would be even more severe if there wasn't an attempt to flatten the curve. "Cull the heard" you said? At what expense? 2.2 M+ American lives and you don't think THAT would have a major economical impact?

Those 2.2 M Americans in the ground and their families, probably wouldn't give a rats *** about having to struggle to economically survive for awhile. Societies have been able to bring back economies and I have every faith that the US economy will do such, bringing back lives....I have never seen that happen, except in the movies.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know full well what it would have meant, if this thing is that infectious and deadly there is not easy way to go thru other than go thru.

and I don’t believe for a second we’re even close to losing an additional 2.2 million people this year in this country from this. The numbers are no where near that with or without drastic quarantine measures.

lots of questions to be answered and so far I’m not so sure we’ve done anything but delay the inevitable at a substantial cost.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
and I don’t believe for a second we’re even close to losing an additional 2.2 million people this year in this country from this. The numbers are no where near that with or without drastic quarantine measures.

Talk to your President. I am quoting #45 with him stating that "had WE not taken these actions, 2.2+ Million Americans may have died." What he is trying to imply is "I saved millions by being a great great president, one of the greatest" and what he is failing to say is "Had I not ignored the experts and had taken quicker action, I could have saved more."

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Talk to your President. I am quoting #45 with him stating that "had WE not taken these actions, 2.2+ Million Americans may have died." What he is trying to imply is "I saved millions by being a great great president, one of the greatest" and what he is failing to say is "Had I not ignored the experts and had taken quicker action, I could have saved more."
Take it up with him, I have nothing to do with what he says. and in case you missed it, I don't get anything from what he says, I haven't heard him say word practically since he was elected. I wouldn't give 2 ***** to listen to the man talk

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Prospective treatments are purely anecdotal and unproven. Anecdotes are worthless. In a double-blind drug trail it is not uncommon for 5 - 10% of those treated with a placebo to show improvement on par with those actually receiving the drug. Giving somebody in one instance or another some unproven drug on a wing and prayer and seeing them recover means nothing, except to that person perhaps. Without a controlled study, which takes a good deal of time, you may kill more people than you save based on those anecdotes.

When I hear, "I'm hearing", it reminds me of somebody's favorite catch phrase, a guy who is currently embarassing himself daily on TV in the face of a situation that resists "alternate facts".

The answer toward moving back to normal is to develop a test for the anti-toxin which will determine which people have had the virus, recovered or never exhibited symptons, and are now a very low risk of contagion. That test does not exist, but Fauci said it could be as soon as a week away. In addition, you could also test people who have not exhibited symptoms to see if they are not carrying the virus and let them return to work under controlled circumstances since they could subsequently pick it up and return to work with it.

Millions of people need to be tested weekly. This Administration needs to get on their horse and get the testing regime blown out big time, or should I say "bigly".

I hope Fauci is right that a test is coming. I know a lot of folks have blasted this administration because we don't have enough testing but developing a test for 330 million people wasn't going to happen over night. I fear we were woefully unprepared for this at ALL levels of government. :( But even if we can test everyone we still need some sort of treatment for this to keep people out of the hospital and the ICU until a vaccine comes and that will take a while. If we stay like this until that vaccine is available our economy and society will take years to recover.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Didn't Dr. Fauci say in January that this virus was not going to be major and Americans didn't have to worry about it? So it wasn't just the President who underestimated this threat. But we can't do anything about that but learn from it and be better prepared for the next outbreak. Finger pointing and blaming people now is counter-productive IMO.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I hope Fauci is right that a test is coming. I know a lot of folks have blasted this administration because we don't have enough testing but it developing a test for 330 million people wasn't going to happen over night. I fear we were woefully unprepared for this at ALL levels of government. :( But even if we can test everyone we still need some sort of treatment for this to keep people out of the hospital and the ICU until a vaccine comes and that will take a while. If we stay like this until that vaccine is available our economy and society will take years to recover.
You are talking about 2 different types if tests. The first, which we do have, is the test to say whether you have COVID-19 or not. The second test, which they are working on, tests if you’ve ever had the virus and whether your body has built an immunity.

The first test (testing for COVID-19) isn't a cure and only changes the game slightly. No matter how many tests we have and administer, it is not feasible to test everyone at the same time. So all you are learning from it, is that you did or did not have the virus when tested. Could you have picked it up after? Can you still get it? Yes, to both. So how often does one get tested, if they are potentially continually exposed to the virus? Where testing is somewhat beneficial is when a patient has enough symptoms to warrant a test and then is willing to immediately isolate, until the results are know. If they are positive, strict isolation needs to be followed. Negative? Then they start the whole cycle again.

The second test could help much more in the battle. A test to show if you have the antibodies, thus had the virus, is already being produced by many companies, but the FDA still needs to approve them and is warning people that right now, some of those tests might not be accurate. Once that is ready and considerably accurate, I think you have a good way to test people to see if they are "safe" to go back to work. That all sounds great, but there are still some issues. Nobody knows exactly yet if these antibodies themselves or at what level, prove you are not contagious or still immune. Also, there is still the whole logistics issue of manufacture, distribution and administration of all these tests.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Didn't Dr. Fauci say in January that this virus was not going to be major and Americans didn't have to worry about it? So it wasn't just the President who underestimated this threat. But we can't do anything about that but learn from it and be better prepared for the next outbreak. Finger pointing and blaming people now is counter-productive IMO.

"No finger pointing and blaming" is usually the response of a person who is on the side of fault or blame. While you may not think talking about mistakes, deception, misinformation, etc. is beneficial to tackling COVID-19, its vital to correcting more mistakes before they happen again. If you are a researcher, you make mistakes. It would be silly to say "I am a perfect researcher, so lets not talk about my mistakes". Actually, mistakes is exactly what you talk about and correcting them is how you perfect things as you move forward.

If you can't see that #45 has been slow to react, then you aren't paying close enough attention. Many experts were warning the administration long before they took it seriously of what could happen.

You probably won't believe the article, but this might help you to understand the timetable a bit better:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/11/us/politics/coronavirus-trump-response.html

Last edited:

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"No finger pointing and blaming" is usually the response of a person who is on the side of fault or blame. While you may not think talking about mistakes, deception, misinformation, etc. is beneficial to tackling COVID-19, its vital to correcting more mistakes before they happen again. If you are a researcher, you make mistakes. It would be silly to say "I am a perfect researcher, so lets not talk about my mistakes". Actually, mistakes is exactly what you talk about and correcting them is how you perfect things as you move forward.

If you can't see that #45 has been slow to react, then you aren't paying close enough attention. Many experts were warning the administration long before they took it seriously of what could happen.

You probably won't believe the article, but this might help you to understand the timetable a bit better:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/11/us/politics/coronavirus-trump-response.html

Yes, Trump should have responded quicker but all I was pointing out is he isn't the only one who screwed it up. We should be focusing on beating this virus so we can get on with our lives. There will be plenty of time to lay blame later.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, Trump should have responded quicker but all I was pointing out is he isn't the only one who screwed it up. We should be focusing on beating this virus so we can get on with our lives. There will be plenty of time to lay blame later.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ny.../politics/coronavirus-trump-response.amp.html
Nobody knew there would be a pandemic or epidemic of this proportion,” President Trump said last month. He has repeatedly said that no one could have seen the effects of the coronavirus coming.Credit...Erin Schaff/The New York Times

Someone was ready in 2014

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cn...-obama-2014-pandemic-comments-sot-ctn-vpx.cnn

Hear what Barack Obama said in 2014 about pandemics
During a 2014 speech, then-President Barack Obama warned about the need for the US to cast aside partisan differences to prepare for an upcoming pandemic.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

If Trump wasn't still in charge, I might agree with you that now is not the time to put too much effort into unwinding this just yet. This will be discussed and dissected for centuries to come and there will be plenty of finger pointing, blame and conspiracy theories. Hollywood won't run out of movie and TV material. However, the fact is, Trump still is in charge and making the decisions. So Yes, it is very important to know if he is making informed decisions or continues to just fly by the seat of his pants. Like it or not, looking at his past decisions, especially in regards to the virus are critical.

If your kid was on a school bus that crashed and the bus driver was drunk, if that driver was allowed to continue to keep driving school buses, would you say "now is not the time to worry about fault and blame"?

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm glad no one is making political statements in these threads :rolleyes:

H

HardRightEdge

Didn't Dr. Fauci say in January that this virus was not going to be major and Americans didn't have to worry about it?
Yes, on January 21, saying reasonable travel precautions should be taken. At that time the Chinese release of the genome was 10 days prior and under study, the Chinese had 500 reported cases, and the US had one case, that guy who flew into Seattle from China.

In the ensuing days and weeks, Trump repeatedly downplayed the severity of the contagion, at the same time proclaiming that the experts were very impressed with his instinctual grasp of the situation while calling for a soon return to normalcy as case counts were going parabolic. By now we should all know that any serious person in Trump's circle has to shine him on in order to nudge him in the right direction. Fauci is, after all, a member of this Administration. A direct expression of truth to power only gets you fired and Fauci has been nudging over that line for the last two months. The most peculiar, and dangerous, predisposition in the mind of Trump is he does not care when somebody says something nice about him whether they are being genuine or not. When nothing is true, anything is possible.

In mid-March, there was the infamous rally speech where he said Democratic urgings for more Federal response was a "hoax" and this wasn't much different that the flu. Sycophatic GOP governors in Florida, Alabama, Texas slow played their response, the Alabama governor's proclamations being especially absurd. Florida and Alabama in particular were no doubt concerned about high season spending and tax revenues. Democrats are not entirely blameless--see Mardi Gras.

Today, after Fauci implied that his recommendation in mid-February for shut downs were ignored until a month later, Trump has retweeted a conservative call for Fauci's firing. So, what's this? A public poll to gauge the value of Fauci as a scapegoat vs. public backlash? If you're going to fire him on the purported "merits" which are in fact political, then get on with it be ready to pay the political price.

As for "bending the curve", we're seeing some of that in New York. But if we excise New York from the national data, with the national case count still going up by 30,000 per day, the case curve is still parabolic outside New York.

Last edited by a moderator:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As the COVID-19 situation continues to unfold, the possibility of the NCAA and the NFL having to cancel their upcoming Football seasons grows larger each day. While I am not saying that this will happen and I would like to stay optimistic, I am curious how it would play out in regards to the NCAA, the NFL , Free Agency and the 2021 Draft.

I do think if the NCAA cancels, unless something epic changes after that, the NFL will almost have to follow in kind or risk looking like a greedy business that cares more about profit then the health of humans. I also don't think "playing games" without fans physically in the stadiums is an option either. The NCAA thought about that for basketball and then they realized that the players, game personnel and anyone else involved are still at risk. Further, by doing so, it totally flies in the face of what everyone else is being told to do, maintain social distancing.

So for argument sake, lets pretend the 2020 season is cancelled for everyone. My questions are:
  • Are any of the players paid their salaries including newly signed rookies?
  • If a players contract expires at the end of the 2020 season, will the cancelled season effect that or just like any year, they become a free agent next March? I assume yes.
  • With the NCAA cancelling, how will that effect eligibility of players? Would most get that season back? How does that effect the draft pool?
  • Would knowing that there wasn't going to be a 2020 season or a good possibility of it, change your approach to the upcoming draft?
Even if both the NFL and college programs are able to hold their seasons, when will they be able to start practicing again? How will the layoff effect injuries and play?
All good questions Poker. Looks like the draft will happen even if the season is later cancelled. I don’t think that fact would change any team’s approach to the draft, but that’s just a hunch.

And Ive read about BB resuming without fans, and yeah, it flies in the face of social distancing. It seems unworkable for any sport to play without fans. I think we have to respect this virus until we have a vaccine, and that’s not likely until 2021. So the short answer is - we need to get used to this style of life for an extended period of time. Bummer, but better than dying.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't really expect there to be an NFL season this year. But wouldn't it be odd if some games had fans, while others did not because those cities were not allowing mass gatherings?

I could be wrong, but I think it will be an all or nothing. If it is not safe to host games in some cities, "fanless games" would make no sense to me. What kind of message is that sending to the general public in those cities? "Your local restaurants can't operate, but damn it we are the NFL, we are still having our football games with the 200 or so players, coaches, trainers, medical staff, refs, cam crews, etc that it takes to have one."

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
\
Your local restaurants can't operate, but damn it we are the NFL, we are still having our football games with the 200 or so players, coaches, trainers, medical staff, refs, cam crews, etc that it takes to have one."
Florida has allowed the WWE to continue to film shows, because they have deemed it "essential business". Nothing against the WWE, but on what planet is pro wrestling essential business? It's mind boggling.

If they started the season, but there was a spike in LA, perhaps there might be a regional closing there. But if that was the case, I doubt if they would let the football players participate unless they have got the testing problem down real tight. So I agree it's unlikely, but you never know.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Florida has allowed the WWE to continue to film shows, because they have deemed it "essential business". Nothing against the WWE, but on what planet is pro wrestling essential business? It's mind boggling.

I don't expect anything different out of the WWE and I am pretty convinced most of their fans wouldn't give a crap about stay at home orders and would pack into their venues to watch "the entertainment". I actually had a quick debate with a WWE blowhard on Social Media. He was trying to tell anyone that would listen, that "WWE is basically supported by its paid attending fans and that TV revenue was very minor for the WWE. LOL.....quick fact check buddy...its completely the other way around, the WWE, much like real sports, survives mainly on TV revenue (over 70% of total revenue). When I pushed him on it he said "Well, I never pay nothing to watch on TV, I know how to pirate the coverage". LOL

H

HardRightEdge

According to Johns Hopkins, 39,000 new cases in the US were reported on 4/21. That's the highest one day number to date. "Bending the curve"? Nope.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
According to Johns Hopkins, 39,000 new cases in the US were reported on 4/21. That's the highest one day number to date. "Bending the curve"? Nope.

Saw that and if I had to guess, we are going to see that number climb as States begin to ease up voluntarily or involuntarily. While there may be an NFL season, unless Therapeutic drugs are ready to roll, I do not see them allowing filled stadiums for 2020.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We'll have to see what the MLB, NHL, and NBA do. I imagine that NFL will follow their lead. I think it's extremely unlikely that fans will be allowed in stadiums this year, and perhaps not until we get a vaccine, which could possibly mean that the 2021 season would be without fans too.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We'll have to see what the MLB, NHL, and NBA do. I imagine that NFL will follow their lead. I think it's extremely unlikely that fans will be allowed in stadiums this year, and perhaps not until we get a vaccine, which could possibly mean that the 2021 season would be without fans too.
NASCAR is ready to get rolling in a few weeks without fans in attendance, so I think that is good news for the stick & ball leagues. I highly doubt any of the seasons will be cancelled this year but I expect no fans in attendance for any sport until September in a best case scenario

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want to bump this thread now that we're through Day 2 of the draft.

I'm just curious, for those of you who think we've wasted our first 3 picks, would your views shift and how if we either have no training camp activities this year? What if there is no 2020 season at all?

Personally, I tend to stay optimistic about this stuff, but I am at least perplexed by our selections thus far. If the FO is expecting no training camp and less or no impact from rookies this year, it makes a little more sense to me that they might ignore current needs. And even more so if there is no 2020 season.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want to bump this thread now that we're through Day 2 of the draft.

I'm just curious, for those of you who think we've wasted our first 3 picks, would your views shift and how if we either have no training camp activities this year? What if there is no 2020 season at all?

Personally, I tend to stay optimistic about this stuff, but I am at least perplexed by our selections thus far. If the FO is expecting no training camp and less or no impact from rookies this year, it makes a little more sense to me that they might ignore current needs. And even more so if there is no 2020 season.
all stuff that "should" be considered, but most can't see past the fact none had the name they wanted in front of the letters "WR" so it's all stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts