If Rodgers is out, how many agree TT made a brilliant move .

angryguy77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packerlifer said:
Zero2Cool said:
Didn't something like a third of the NFL teams have two or more QB's starting for them last season.

Yeah, I think so. This means that not every QB in the NFL will last forever, or even one full season. What Brett has done is being belittled by the comments regarding Rodgers being injury prone. Lets not dwindle the feat that Favre has and IS accomplishing. While in the same breath lets not be so ignorant and think that Favre is a Jet solely because of Ted Thompson. Many more actions and comments played into the role than simply just Ted.

What those carrying a grudge against TT for the Favre detail seem so eager to forget or not mention is that it started with Brett's refusal to make up his mind about playing or retiring, dragging it on for 4 months and then trying to barge his way back in. And his messing around with the Vikings to get back at the Packers.
We need to demythologize the version of the Packers-Favre split. 1)Ted Thompson & Mike McCarthy wanted Favre back for another season. 2) Favre wanted to play yet another offseason of "will he or won't he" with the club. 3) TT & MM decided the long term interests of the club could no longer allow for the annual Favre "hostage" situation and Aaron Rodgers was ready but nearing the end of his contract with the team. 4)Favre retired. 5) There were at least several points where Favre indicated he was wavering and the Packers gave him opening to unretire; but at each one for 4 months the last word from Brett was always "I'm retired." 6) A month before training camp, Favre wants to play again but gets angry and frustrated when he doesn't get his way on his terms of coming back. He shoots his mouth off in the media, he talks to Darrell Bevell and Brad Childress about jumping to the Vikings. He forces his way into the Packers' camp and thru hours and hours of talks with coach McCarthy still can't commit to the club and is persuaded to leave and is consequently traded.

That is IF everything TT and MM said is true. I don't understand why people are so redy to take what they say as the 100% truth. It was not confimed that the conversations with Childress was about playing for them. Bottom line is he gave the pack the best chance to win this year. It's doesn't matter what the futur might be but rather taking your shot while yoiu have it. We had money to spen this year even with Favre salary and TT didn't. With the NFL the way it is today, you have to take the shot while you have it. Injuries, free agency and bad luck can mean that the team you have now might not be as good next year or the year after. Rodgers may come around and be a good QB, but how do you know that we are going to have a good enough team that had the same chance as this one did this year? Nobody can say for sure that is why this was a bad move. A GM's job is to give his team the best chance it has to win. If this team would have gone 8-8 last year I would have been for Favre getting the boot, but we didn't. Favre was the differnce maker on this team and it will become ever more evident as the season wears on.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre said in an interview soon after the trade to the Jets that he wanted to go to the Vikings to stick it to the Packers. So what else do you suppose he was phoning to Bevell & Childress about. They were never cleared; only they didn't leave evidence to convict them the way they did it and no one would talk.

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packerlifer said:
1)Ted Thompson & Mike McCarthy wanted Favre back for another season.
Actions speak louder than words. Announcing the jersey retirement date a month after the press conference tells the true story.
Packerlifer said:
2) Favre wanted to play yet another offseason of "will he or won't he" with the club.
The media took care of that task for him. Fans & anti-fans took the liberty of nauseating the rest of us agonizing over his & GB's future each off-season.
Packerlifer said:
3) TT & MM decided the long term interests of the club could no longer allow for the annual Favre "hostage" situation and Aaron Rodgers was ready but nearing the end of his contract with the team.
Just try to find a quote from TT or MM quantifying the "hostage situation" every year.
Packerlifer said:
4)Favre retired.
Michael Jordan
Packerlifer said:
5) There were at least several points where Favre indicated he was wavering and the Packers gave him opening to unretire...
Prove it
Packerlifer said:
6) A month before training camp, Favre wants to play again but gets angry and frustrated when he doesn't get his way on his terms of coming back.
You're a close companion of his so we should believe you?
Packerlifer said:
He shoots his mouth off in the media, he talks to Darrell Bevell and Brad Childress about jumping to the Vikings.
You forgot the team-supplied cell phone un-truth that the team allowed to fester for 3 days before coming clean.
Packerlifer said:
He forces his way into the Packers' camp and thru hours and hours of talks with coach McCarthy still can't commit to the club and is persuaded to leave and is consequently traded.
You were no more priveleged to those talks than any of us. We all heard the verdict but anyone knows the ends don't always justify the means. The team was deliberately deceptive about getting him to GB, on Family NIght no less, only to paint him as unstable & harboring grudges.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
doughsellz said:
Packerlifer said:
1)Ted Thompson & Mike McCarthy wanted Favre back for another season.
Actions speak louder than words. Announcing the jersey retirement date a month after the press conference tells the true story.
Packerlifer said:
2) Favre wanted to play yet another offseason of "will he or won't he" with the club.
The media took care of that task for him. Fans & anti-fans took the liberty of nauseating the rest of us agonizing over his & GB's future each off-season.
Packerlifer said:
3) TT & MM decided the long term interests of the club could no longer allow for the annual Favre "hostage" situation and Aaron Rodgers was ready but nearing the end of his contract with the team.
Just try to find a quote from TT or MM quantifying the "hostage situation" every year.
Packerlifer said:
4)Favre retired.
Michael Jordan
Packerlifer said:
5) There were at least several points where Favre indicated he was wavering and the Packers gave him opening to unretire...
Prove it
Packerlifer said:
6) A month before training camp, Favre wants to play again but gets angry and frustrated when he doesn't get his way on his terms of coming back.
You're a close companion of his so we should believe you?
Packerlifer said:
He shoots his mouth off in the media, he talks to Darrell Bevell and Brad Childress about jumping to the Vikings.
You forgot the team-supplied cell phone un-truth that the team allowed to fester for 3 days before coming clean.
Packerlifer said:
He forces his way into the Packers' camp and thru hours and hours of talks with coach McCarthy still can't commit to the club and is persuaded to leave and is consequently traded.
You were no more priveleged to those talks than any of us. We all heard the verdict but anyone knows the ends don't always justify the means. The team was deliberately deceptive about getting him to GB, on Family NIght no less, only to paint him as unstable & harboring grudges.

both of you act like yours is the only truth..but knowing a few details that I believe you both do not know, your both missing details of the entire thing..

#5...P/C was planned with about 15 people to fly over to MS to announce he was un-retiring he called and said dont bother coming

** weather or not he wasnt going to un-retire is not the point..You said prove they wanted him back and thats the proof***

#6 I am pretty sure that he was upset and frustrated...I know I would be too..but reading quotes form personal friends in the media sure sounded like he was frustrated.

BF knew they didnt want him back after the conference call they had....So to say they were deceptive in getting him to GB is wrong. He may have felt he was pushing their hand and hoping that they would change their mind by coming up for Family night but he was not decieved. As he knew they didnt want him back

Please do not take this to mean I wanted him gone..I still wish he was the q/b here..

hybriddragonfly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
rogers is too injury prone............ this is just the beginning he has played a total of 5 games, played in 2 for a half so lets give him 6 games

he has been hurt 3 times dude cant handle a hit

by the way we are not in first place anymore and wont be unless some serious stuff changes..... no leadership on this team from the coach down.......

ARod2GJ

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packer98 said:
in the Favre deal? They did say Rodgers was injury prone and apparently he is proving it. 2 good games, 2 bad games and now injuried.
ok, so if we kept favre.. that ruins rodgers' confidence and then favre retires for real following this season and we still have an injury prone QB, but now he also has no confidence

people need to realize that favre wasn't going to be around forever

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ARod2GJ said:
ok, so if we kept favre.. that ruins rodgers' confidence and then favre retires for real following this season and we still have an injury prone QB, but now he also has no confidence

people need to realize that favre wasn't going to be around forever

Rodgers is a grown man. If he's not mature enough to be a part of a professional team sport he shouldn't be here. Ruin his confidence? Give me a break.

Lambow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate being right all the time. I bashed teddy to no end and got hammmered for it and now here we are loosing to the 3rd worse team in the league? Wait wouldnt that make the Pack 2nd worse now? From Superbowl bound to not getting a wild card chance. AWESOME tompson. What a *******. And all the people supporting him are just as bad. Can't believe my team is being run like the browns now. awesome.

GBstock

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lambow said:
I hate being right all the time. I bashed teddy to no end and got hammmered for it and now here we are loosing to the 3rd worse team in the league? Wait wouldnt that make the Pack 2nd worse now? From Superbowl bound to not getting a wild card chance. AWESOME tompson. What a *******. And all the people supporting him are just as bad. Can't believe my team is being run like the browns now. awesome.

Can't disagree with you.

NFL_GEEK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
aaron probably didn't want to play on sunday but had too... he didn't want fans to think he was injury prone just after 4weeks

ElleBlue

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RobJohnson said:
The reason why the Packers didn't make it to the SB is because his team didn't show up that day, and the NY Giants did! Oh yeah, they beat the undefeated Patriots too, but it was all Favre's fault.

This is what is silly, Longtime.

If Ruvell Martin could catch, the Packers would have been in the SB...If Jason Spitz could block, the Packers would be....(well, you get the idea, i hope!)

Couldn't agree with you more, Rob. The Giants played a really great game that day. They became a superbowl team and got hot at the right time (during playoffs). Last year, I had many arguments with people, who wanted to blame Favre.

angryguy77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lambow said:

Its been rough waitng for the time to come and be proven right. BUt as you can see, nobody is really bashing TT yet. Can't figure that out. But I would think that if they do then they are admitting that there is a chance they were wrong in supporting him.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last I checked there were still some winless teams.... Atlanta has at least one win.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts