I don't think Mike and Ted are going anywhere

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another reason why I don't think anyone is going to be fired is because they would have been gone by now.
If the Packers top brass can tolerate playoff after playoff loss year after year, well, they will probably tolerate a bad season and a half as well.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately I believe this to be true. The Packers fancy themselves to be the franchise with the most stability, and sometimes to a fault. It was absolutely shocking to me when NBC put up the graphic stating Capers was the longest tenured DC in the NFL.
They are just way too damn nice.
Perhaps they should switch to figure skating or curling instead.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The story with these guys has gotten old. The Packers are not improving. I think it would be nice to try different people. Virtually every company goes for change in an attempt to turn things around nowadays. Personally, Capers and Thompson. ....I would like to see how different people do. Both the Lions and Vikes have overhauled themselves these past few years. It hasn't turned out badly for them. Maybe the Packer could use a change too.
Right.
What have we got to lose?
Another playoff game?
Pshaw!
We should be used to that by now.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We've been saying that for years.
He has to work with what he has and when key players are injured and out, then what? Is that really all his fault if the back ups are not doing their jobs?
Players do blame themselves and not Dom when they blow assignments.

Sort of, yes ? He's responsible for the entire defensive unit and their performance. If the backups aren't doing their job, he's ultimately accountable for it.

The players blaming themselves is a long held company line. What are they supposed to say? By the way, there have been players, Charles Woodson comes to mind , who have indirectly criticized Capers by incredulously questioning the lack of adjustments to the media.

Look, I'm all about holding players accountable for their mistakes but at some point you just need to move in a different direction. Sometimes, it helps.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For those that want MM or TT gone, there is going to be alot of gnashing of teeth this offseason because I see no way that occurs unless TT steps down or they just implode, the scoring against the D continues and they finish 4-12, then maybe something happens. I thought MM and TT are signed through 2018 so, I don't see the organization paying salaries for 2 coaches and 2 GMs for 2 seasons. Injuries will be trotted out as the primary failure for this season but someone will be sacrificed (probably Capers and a smattering of assistants) and into 2017 we go with the same core. Only major differences will probably be Shields retiring and Peppers moving on. TT will again ignore free agency so he can cobble together his compensation picks and we will be treated to an offseason of MM telling us about execution, making 2nd year jumps and getting guys back.

Myself, I don't have a massive issue with MM coming back. Capers shouldn't and I think TT needs to step aside. TT is a good builder and maintainer, but right now the team needs a GM to revitalize the D which is going to require dipping into free agency to get some veteran bodies rather than waiting for undrafted guys to develop in 4 years.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sort of, yes ? He's responsible for the entire defensive unit and their performance. If the backups aren't doing their job, he's ultimately accountable for it.

The players blaming themselves is a long held company line. What are they supposed to say? By the way, there have been players, Charles Woodson comes to mind , who have indirectly criticized Capers by incredulously questioning the lack of adjustments to the media.

Look, I'm all about holding players accountable for their mistakes but at some point you just need to move in a different direction. Sometimes, it helps.
I'm just saying that players don't blame coaches and coaches don't blame players.

And I don't think it can all be just one's entire fault. Coaches and players all make mistakes.
If you and others want to pin it all on one or the other, fine.
I choose to believe that it cannot all be the fault of one.
Football with all it's factors is not an easy game for a team to win as we are seeing for the first time in a loooong time with our Packers.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
OK but when you own something, your house, your car, your wife, your kids, you have power over them and can control it.
So how can anyone think of themselves as an owner of the Packers when they have no control or say in the matter?
It is blind pride. Not ownership in this case.
Seriously? You own your wife and kids and have complete control over them??? Lol

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope I'm wrong, but I don't believe Ted or Mike are going anywhere, either. Maybe Dom, but that's it.
The powers that be will jump on any reason, real or imagined, to kick the can down the road.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another reason why I don't think anyone is going to be fired is because they would have been gone by now.
If the Packers top brass can tolerate playoff after playoff loss year after year, well, they will probably tolerate a bad season and a half as well.
According to Demovsky at ESPN, when McCarthy fired Bob Sanders in 2008 it was at the end of the season, not after the prime time loss to the Saints when we gave up 51 points. In this circumstance, I would agree. I wouldn't fire Capers immediately. I really don't think that most of this is his fault. If MM wants to fire him at the end of the season, that would make more sense. "Shaking things up" right now makes sense if starters are playing poorly. Backups and the backup's backups playing poorly doesn't really gain anything from a shake up.

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-...hell-broke-loose-may-haunt-packers-dom-capers

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, I'm hearing a lot of whispers too that in the end, our organization might just chalk this year up as "One of those seasons" where if something can go wrong, it went wrong - including injuries.....lots of injuries. So my question is, do we give Ted and Mike a mulligan here? One more year? Hell, who knows. I'm just lost for words honestly.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think someone else should do the play calling.
When McMoron stopped, they did OK. Not spectacular lights out. But OK and certainly better than they are doing now.
They got nuthin else to lose at this point.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think someone else should do the play calling.
When McMoron stopped, they did OK. Not spectacular lights out. But OK and certainly better than they are doing now.
They got nuthin else to lose at this point.
McCarthy took back the play calling specifically because the offense was NOT doing well. I don't know that it improved much when took it back, but it was definitely not better when he wasn't calling the plays.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Murphy is on record as knowing when TT plans to quit, and has "a plan in place". If he covets Wolf, or someone else currently working in the front office who announces his plan to leave the organization it may well be that he would accept TT's resignation in order to keep that person. I don't think that is beyond the realm of possibility. Especially if we wind up 4 and 12--which is a distinct possibility. And I would hope that new GM would demand MM, or whomever he decides will be the HC, would bring in some new personnel as coaches with new ideas in all 3 phases of the game.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy took back the play calling specifically because the offense was NOT doing well. I don't know that it improved much when took it back, but it was definitely not better when he wasn't calling the plays.
I asked in another thread for the record differences and I don't remember the exact numbers but it was like 4-2 without McMoron or I think the losses were two below the wins.
How can anyone think it improved when McMoron took it back when you see how this team is struggling?
Try someone else. Try anything short of cheating. Go for it on every fourth down and only do onside kicks.
Nothing more to lose at this point.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My dad said. You surround yourself with people who have your back no matter what. Because otherwise when you are in the trenches, fighting for your life back to back... And when you look back to see if they are alright. They are gone.....

This season isnt even over yet... We have a decade of great years, and the first time we legitimately stumble, people call for a fall guy!?!?!

Luckily, I dont think the guys running this show in G.B. have that kind of character... They will stand back to back and fight til the end. I highly doubt anyone gets fired. If change is needed, the men involved will step down to make room for new blood.

Me personally. Id like to see McCarthy coach GB another 20 yrs. He is a great coach.