I don't think Mike and Ted are going anywhere

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No chance all 3 are getting fired at the same time. If I were to bet, then Dom Capers might have the hottest seat.
We think he has had the hottest seat for years when in reality it was always ice cold.

Injuries, poor player performance and other things may not factor into it being his fault and so he will stay.

Look at the Favre/Rodgers drama.
Seeing how good Rodgers is, some Pack fans may be wondering just why in heck Favre wasn't let go earlier when he was always wishy-washy about retiring or not.
Getting rid of certain people within the Pack organization, even when we think they should, just does not seem to be in their nature.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I asked in another thread for the record differences and I don't remember the exact numbers but it was like 4-2 without McMoron or I think the losses were two below the wins.
How can anyone think it improved when McMoron took it back when you see how this team is struggling?
Try someone else. Try anything short of cheating. Go for it on every fourth down and only do onside kicks.
Nothing more to lose at this point.
I remember that post as well and you were only focusing on the team records. That doesn't show the true picture. The reality is that the offense was struggling long before the Packers lost to Denver. I could go into detail about each game, but it really isn't necessary. The reason that McCarthy took over play calling was that the offense had been struggling all year. This isn't my opinion it was a known fact at the time. It is debatable whether or not the offense has been any better since he resumed calling the plays, but that was the reason. However, you can't just look at the win loss record to determine the success of the play caller. Last year the Packers started 6-0 with a struggling offense. This year the Packers have lost the last 4 games even though the offense has scored 25 plus points in each.

D

Deleted member 6794

This season isnt even over yet... We have a decade of great years, and the first time we legitimately stumble, people call for a fall guy!?!?!

Unfortunately it's not only this season as the Packers are 9-13 over the last 22 games starting a future Hall of Fame quarterback. If the team isn't able to turn it around this season, and there's no reason to believe they're capable of doing so, both Thompson and McCarthy should be gone.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM is not having a great year but its only 1 year for him. The reason this team sucks is because of a lack of depth and lack of impact players. That is on TT and his body of work from the last 4 or 5 years. At least he has addressed the CB position this week after Goodson went down for the season....oh wait....he hasn't,,,he will just promote that whitehead guy from the PS that he cut a few weeks ago.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm in the minority here, but I don't see a reason to change. We really are a bunch of spoiled kids here, who after 20 some years of constant success want to see heads roll. I think it's all ridiculous talk. The trio of TT, McCarthy, and Capers has been fantastic over the years. I don't think that they've lost their touch at all. TT continues to draft solid players but what he hasn't hit since Clay Matthews is a difference maker. He also doesn't utilize FA as much as he could. McCarthy continues to do a pretty good job calling the offense, but hasn't gotten super creative. That's unfortunately not his style, but his consistency can't be ignored either. When Capers has the horses, he calls good game plans. When he doesn't have the horses, I don't think that he adjusts as well as he could. So they all have flaws for sure, but put together this has been and remains to be one of the better trios in the league. Who's better? Belichek - who will likely go down as one of the greatest coaches of all time. Pete Carroll - he hasn't done it consistently for as long, but is getting there.

Yes this has been a long rough patch, but I don't share the "win now or else" attitude of most fans. I'm not happy with losing either, but I recognize what we have here now. We have a good GM, coach, and DC. We have a lot of injuries and we went through an offensive funk followed by a defensive funk. I don't like throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm in the minority here, but I don't see a reason to change. We really are a bunch of spoiled kids here, who after 20 some years of constant success want to see heads roll. I think it's all ridiculous talk. The trio of TT, McCarthy, and Capers has been fantastic over the years. I don't think that they've lost their touch at all. TT continues to draft solid players but what he hasn't hit since Clay Matthews is a difference maker. He also doesn't utilize FA as much as he could. McCarthy continues to do a pretty good job calling the offense, but hasn't gotten super creative. That's unfortunately not his style, but his consistency can't be ignored either. When Capers has the horses, he calls good game plans. When he doesn't have the horses, I don't think that he adjusts as well as he could. So they all have flaws for sure, but put together this has been and remains to be one of the better trios in the league. Who's better? Belichek - who will likely go down as one of the greatest coaches of all time. Pete Carroll - he hasn't done it consistently for as long, but is getting there.

Yes this has been a long rough patch, but I don't share the "win now or else" attitude of most fans. I'm not happy with losing either, but I recognize what we have here now. We have a good GM, coach, and DC. We have a lot of injuries and we went through an offensive funk followed by a defensive funk. I don't like throwing out the baby with the bathwater.
I am mostly in agreement with you, but I do think it may be time for Thompson to retire. I think he has done a pretty good job of building and maintaining a core team, but his overly conservative approach has yielded a team with no depth, and no (as you pointed out) " no difference makers". I think the Packers need a GM that will occasionally roll the dice and go get that guy.

D

Deleted member 6794

Who's better? Belichek - who will likely go down as one of the greatest coaches of all time. Pete Carroll - he hasn't done it consistently for as long, but is getting there.

Unfortunately currently only the Bears and Niners have worse records than the Packers in the NFC. While Thompson, McCarthy and Capers have done a great job putting together a successful team over a long period the current state of the Packers is sad and they should get another six games to turn it around. Otherwise it's time to move on.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My dad said. You surround yourself with people who have your back no matter what. Because otherwise when you are in the trenches, fighting for your life back to back... And when you look back to see if they are alright. They are gone.....

This season isnt even over yet... We have a decade of great years, and the first time we legitimately stumble, people call for a fall guy!?!?!

Luckily, I dont think the guys running this show in G.B. have that kind of character... They will stand back to back and fight til the end. I highly doubt anyone gets fired. If change is needed, the men involved will step down to make room for new blood.

Me personally. Id like to see McCarthy coach GB another 20 yrs. He is a great coach.

Always hate to see sports compared to combat, but if we're going in that direction, I don't want a guy behind me who can't keep the enemy from advancing. If the bad guys keep winning, I look for a new guy to cover my rear.

Remember, there is a substantial group of folks who believe we've had one 'great' year - 2010. Most of the rest have been anywhere from disappointing to heartbreaking.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I am mostly in agreement with you, but I do think it may be time for Thompson to retire. I think he has done a pretty good job of building and maintaining a core team, but his overly conservative approach has yielded a team with no depth, and no (as you pointed out) " no difference makers". I think the Packers need a GM that will occasionally roll the dice and go get that guy.
Woodson, Matthews & Peppers.
You can't expect #4 & #5 CB's to hold down the fort for 6-7 games with an inconsistent pass rush to help them. No team can realistically pay veteran salaries to fill the bottom third of the roster all the time when your QB is capping at 20M. Every GM has to take some roster gambles and it hasn't worked out this year. Oh well, the vagaries of fate.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the other hand, we have been in this offensive funk for going on 3 years now. 3 years is more then enough time to figure out what the deal is and fix it. So who can you blame? MM? Personnel decisions? Lack of talent? What?

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember that post as well and you were only focusing on the team records. That doesn't show the true picture. The reality is that the offense was struggling long before the Packers lost to Denver. I could go into detail about each game, but it really isn't necessary. The reason that McCarthy took over play calling was that the offense had been struggling all year. This isn't my opinion it was a known fact at the time. It is debatable whether or not the offense has been any better since he resumed calling the plays, but that was the reason. However, you can't just look at the win loss record to determine the success of the play caller. Last year the Packers started 6-0 with a struggling offense. This year the Packers have lost the last 4 games even though the offense has scored 25 plus points in each.
Fair enough.
You have your opinions and thoughts and I have mine.
To me, what matters the most is the win-loss record at the end of the day.
It doesn't go over all the details but it is enough of a reflection to gauge.

I'll just leave it up to them because maybe they know what's best even though it may not seem like it to us at times.
Who really knows what is best and how to get them back to winning ways.
But I think they should try radical things because the conservative or the same old ways just ain't working anymore at this time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the other hand, we have been in this offensive funk for going on 3 years now. 3 years is more then enough time to figure out what the deal is and fix it. So who can you blame? MM? Personnel decisions? Lack of talent? What?
Since football is a team sport I think it's based on a lot of factors and not on just one thing.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Woodson, Matthews & Peppers.
You can't expect #4 & #5 CB's to hold down the fort for 6-7 games with an inconsistent pass rush to help them. No team can realistically pay veteran salaries to fill the bottom third of the roster all the time when your QB is capping at 20M. Every GM has to take some roster gambles and it hasn't worked out this year. Oh well, the vagaries of fate.

Are you talking notable free agent signings?
That's three in twelve years. Matthews (my bad) was a draft pick, so that's two. And Woodson he had to be talked into by Schneider.
Peppers did not have people beating down his door when he was released.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers led the league in scoring in 2014, pretty sure the offense didn't struggle that season.

H

HardRightEdge

Barring some miraculous turnaround, some head or heads will roll.

I'll be disappointed if the assistant coaches take the brunt with the top dogs unscathed.

H

HardRightEdge

Ted may step down
Voluntarily, of his own volition? Would his ego allow him to leave on a sour note? I'd think if it was up to him alone he'd like to stick around for at least another year to try to turn it around.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can we please stop with the myth that TT is just some kind of genius unearthing late round and undrafted gems? He has had one significant UDFA in 11 years, Sam Shields. No one else that isn't either a subpar/ST only player or fizzled out quickly .

Look at these drafts: http://www.packers.com/history/draft-history.html

Anything worth a damn in the 6th/7th rounds that goes beyond your run of the mill backup or special teamer? I'd say maybe Desmond Bishop . That's IT.

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted may step down

I'm hoping they are letting him finish out the season to save face and then making him retire at the end of the season. His time is up and he is getting older. It's time for new blood to step up and take us to the promised land while Rodgers is still in his prime. MM, I'm not really convinced at this point that this is any of his fault. Is he an idiot that makes bad decisions? Yes, but he's still a good coach and his job is secure. Capers is the one who honestly is on the hot seat because even with injuries, good DCs find ways to get the best out of their units. Capers' schemes are the literal definition of insanity and it's time to flush him out.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aren't TT and MM signed through 2018? Anyway I'm sure we'll see both of them back after this season, but I'm not 100% sure about Capers. This team has had numerous pitiful defensive performances over the years and yet Dom has always returned. If we go into next season the same way we came into this one, and by that I mean banking on a bunch of young guys to fill holes and avoiding FA's, then Dom has to go - his scheme is better suited for a more seasoned defensive unit.

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aren't TT and MM signed through 2018? Anyway I'm sure we'll see both of them back after this season, but I'm not 100% sure about Capers. This team has had numerous pitiful defensive performances over the years and yet Dom has always returned. If we go into next season the same way we came into this one, and by that I mean banking on a bunch of young guys to fill holes and avoiding FA's, then Dom has to go - his scheme is better suited for a more seasoned defensive unit.

The real question though is who could they honestly bring in to replace him? Whoever you bring in is not going to make an impact immediately. It'll take a few years before the defensive schemes start to take root.

D

Deleted member 6794

Can we please stop with the myth that TT is just some kind of genius unearthing late round and undrafted gems? He has had one significant UDFA in 11 years, Sam Shields. No one else that isn't either a subpar/ST only player or fizzled out quickly .

Look at these drafts: http://www.packers.com/history/draft-history.html

Anything worth a damn in the 6th/7th rounds that goes beyond your run of the mill backup or special teamer? I'd say maybe Desmond Bishop . That's IT.

Thompson has been pretty successful at drafting players over his tenure. It's a myth that he has found a ton of undrafted gems though.

The real question though is who could they honestly bring in to replace him? Whoever you bring in is not going to make an impact immediately. It'll take a few years before the defensive schemes start to take root.

A great defensive coordinator is able to turn around a unit within an offseason.

H

HardRightEdge

Scapegoat time; none of the head honchos will pay.
Reading the following, I think I'd have to agree:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...d-thompson-disappointed-but-wont-start-firing

Realistically, it's the way it often comes down in the NFL.

Tomlin won a SB in 2008, lost one in 2010, made the playoffs in 3 of 5 of the following years, has not gotten back to the AFC Championship game, and posted two 8-8 seasons. At 5-5 this season, he may have another miss on his hands. And he has one of those Hall of Fame QBs too. (Yes, Dorothy, he will go to the HOF, unsavory off-field incidents notwithstanding.)

Same thing in New Orleans since 2009, with some actual losing seasons and the coach suspended for a year over Bountygate. Another HOF QB aging on the vine.

Perhaps, however, Murphy should take a close look at what he's been spending on this defense relative to the returns since 2010. Can we ask that much?

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fair enough.
You have your opinions and thoughts and I have mine.
To me, what matters the most is the win-loss record at the end of the day.
It doesn't go over all the details but it is enough of a reflection to gauge.

I'll just leave it up to them because maybe they know what's best even though it may not seem like it to us at times.
Who really knows what is best and how to get them back to winning ways.
But I think they should try radical things because the conservative or the same old ways just ain't working anymore at this time.
The win loss record is what matters ... it just isn't a measuring stick to judge a specific thing like like play calling. I'm not even disagreeing with you that maybe Mike should give up the play calling and allow a true offensive coordinator to do it. I was just pointing out that things did not get worse when he resumed calling the plays himself. The offense had serious problems all last year and McCarthy eventually took back the play calling duties specifically because of this. This part is not my opinion it is factual history. Now going forward... I'm not sure that McCarthy has made it any better, however I will point out that the offense has shown some life lately scoring a fair number of points in many games this season. Unfortunately the defense has been non existent

Members online

Latest posts