Hunter Henry: Potential First Round Pick.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Where do the Steelers pick? I don't know that the Pack will get a sniff of this guy at #27.

D

Deleted member 6794

Where do the Steelers pick? I don't know that the Pack will get a sniff of this guy at #27.

The Steelers pick 25th. As I don't see Henry as a perfect fit for the Packers I wouldn't mind him being off the board by our pick.

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Steelers pick 25th. As I don't see Henry as a perfect fit for the Packers I wouldn't mind him being off the board by our pick.

Afterseeing Henry go through drills, I'm going to agree with you. He has a future, but I don't think it will be with the Packers. To be quite honest, I was more impressed with Nick Vannett and Jerell Adams.

D

Deleted member 6794

Afterseeing Henry go through drills, I'm going to agree with you. He has a future, but I don't think it will be with the Packers. To be quite honest, I was more impressed with Nick Vannett and Jerell Adams.

Well, Henry only participated in the bench press and disappointed in it. Adams was mostly disappointing aside of the 40-yard dash. While Vannett had some workouts I would have liked to see him run the 40.

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, Henry only participated in the bench press and disappointed in it. Adams was mostly disappointing aside of the 40-yard dash. While Vannett had some workouts I would have liked to see him run the 40.

? Hunter Henry did more then just the bench press (He elected to run the 40 at his Pro Day):

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/0ap3000000639471/Combine-workout-Hunter-Henry

Adams had the best workout of the TE group according to PFF:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/02/27/nfl-scouting-combine-top-te-standouts/

Vannett not running the 40 was disappointing but he had a strong workout as well.

D

Deleted member 6794

? Hunter Henry did more then just the bench press (He elected to run the 40 at his Pro Day):

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/0ap3000000639471/Combine-workout-Hunter-Henry

Henry did some other tight end drills but aside of the bench press none of the ones being measured at the combine.

Adams had the best workout of the TE group according to PFF:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/02/27/nfl-scouting-combine-top-te-standouts/

Vannett not running the 40 was disappointing but he had a strong workout as well.

It wasn´t surprising that Adams and Vannett both were among the fastest in the run drills but other than that they didn´t do anything impressive. Overall the position group is mostly disappointing this season.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You all know I am a Henry fan, and will be barring he goes to one of a few dreaded teams where my dislike rules over players haha!

But I've really been watching him and following him, and to be honest he is a more athletic and slightly better blocker (actually desires to) than RR...and I too am beginning to think to avoid reaching on him I hope the Steelers pick him at #25. Sad thing is in the right system I think we'll have fans moaning and screaming why we didn't go grab him as I do feel he'll be at minimum a 500 yds 4-6 TD kinda guy...in the right system, just the more I watch the less I think that is us.

D

Deleted member 6794

Nick Vannett may be a better value if you could get him in the second round. That would allow you to address the defense in round one and still get a quality TE.

I would consider selecting Vannett in the second round as a reach.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nick Vannett may be a better value if you could get him in the second round. That would allow you to address the defense in round one and still get a quality TE.

"If?" He is a 3rd rounder to me personally...we may see a later 2nd round reach for him, but I agree if we haven't addressed TE, and he is still there in the 3rd...time to think long and hard about trading up if good for us, or picking him should he be there as we sit.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, I would be ok with drafting Henry at #27, but I think there is some value later that's being overlooked. Vannett would be a great grab in round two or later, but I think a lot of people are sleeping on Jake McGee. The guy was the main play maker on Florida and I think he could be a very good receiving tight end in this class.

Obviously this draft isn't stocked with game changing tight ends that can block and catch, but I think McGee could really help this team over the middle.

D

Deleted member 6794

Honestly, I would be ok with drafting Henry at #27, but I think there is some value later that's being overlooked. Vannett would be a great grab in round two or later, but I think a lot of people are sleeping on Jake McGee. The guy was the main play maker on Florida and I think he could be a very good receiving tight end in this class.

Obviously this draft isn't stocked with game changing tight ends that can block and catch, but I think McGee could really help this team over the middle.

McGee is expected to run the 40 somewhere in the high 4.7s or low 4.8s. That doesn´t fit the atheltic tight end the Packers should be looking for this offseason.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McGee is expected to run the 40 somewhere in the high 4.7s or low 4.8s. That doesn´t fit the atheltic tight end the Packers should be looking for this offseason.

Game tape my friend, game tape. He's much quicker on tape than a 40 will give him. Plus I'll take 4.7 over the 4.87 that ****rod ran.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Stretch warning****

I think Kennard is already the 4.66 type runner in our TE corps...I want someone with more promise and quicker than want McGee offers.

D

Deleted member 6794

Game tape my friend, game tape. He's much quicker on tape than a 40 will give him. Plus I'll take 4.7 over the 4.87 that ****rod ran.

Well, McGee averaged only 9.2 yards per reception over his last two years in college, a number that doesn´t inspire a lot of confidence he´s an upgrade over Rodgers. According to NFL Draft Scout he´s expected to run a 4.83 which once again wouldn´t result in me getting overly excited about him.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Hate to say it, but the draft doesn't seem to hold an ideal short term solution at TE. That being said, if we want an immediate upgrade at the position, it may have to come via a FA. The options there aren't that bright either, unless the Packers want to throw some big money at Green or Fleener. I could see (not saying I agree) TT signing Jared Cook (cheaper and no loss of a compensatory pick), but don't really see him as a complete fix to the position.

What's the latest on Kennard Backman?

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, McGee averaged only 9.2 yards per reception over his last two years in college, a number that doesn´t inspire a lot of confidence he´s an upgrade over Rodgers. According to NFL Draft Scout he´s expected to run a 4.83 which once again wouldn´t result in me getting overly excited about him.

So besides Adams, who's running a 40 that's impressive this year? Vannett will probably run 4.7 or higher too. McGee will probably go really late which means better value. Both have had similar knocks in the weakness category. I just don't see the super impressive tight end this year that everyone is looking for.

So if that's the case, we either take a late round risk and/or go through free agency then wait for next years crop. I just think this draft is loaded for us in the trenches if we want it. Why take a tight end early or mid rounds if they aren't going to be much better than ****rod? I mean there's no real way of telling if they'll be better, but I just don't see that athleticism that you're looking for in this draft at that position.

I'd much rather go OL, DL, ILB in this draft and then take a 6th or 7th round flier on a tight end like McGee. He moves the chains, has a great catch radius, can separate from ILB/S, and has great hands.

Again, this is all speculation and I'm really just an armchair GM, I get that lol

D

Deleted member 6794

So besides Adams, who's running a 40 that's impressive this year? Vannett will probably run 4.7 or higher too. McGee will probably go really late which means better value. Both have had similar knocks in the weakness category. I just don't see the super impressive tight end this year that everyone is looking for.

So if that's the case, we either take a late round risk and/or go through free agency then wait for next years crop. I just think this draft is loaded for us in the trenches if we want it. Why take a tight end early or mid rounds if they aren't going to be much better than ****rod? I mean there's no real way of telling if they'll be better, but I just don't see that athleticism that you're looking for in this draft at that position.

I'd much rather go OL, DL, ILB in this draft and then take a 6th or 7th round flier on a tight end like McGee. He moves the chains, has a great catch radius, can separate from ILB/S, and has great hands.

Again, this is all speculation and I'm really just an armchair GM, I get that lol

I´m not advocating for the Packers to spend an early-round draft pick on a tight end because I don´t see any of them being an athletic player capable of immediately improving the position. That´s why I want Thompson to use free agency to address it.

In addition the Packers already have a developmental tight end in Kennard Backman on the roster, no need to pick up another one.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I´m not advocating for the Packers to spend an early-round draft pick on a tight end because I don´t see any of them being an athletic player capable of immediately improving the position. That´s why I want Thompson to use free agency to address it.

In addition the Packers already have a developmental tight end in Kennard Backman on the roster, no need to pick up another one.

You can always use more tight end right? We love them on ST and why not take one with some upside. I mean, I just watch a ton of SEC football and I like what I see from the kid. I could be entirely wrong though.

I definitely agree that we need to look at FA, but I just don't know what these guys are going to cost. I'm perfectly ok waiting until next year to draft a tight end because I'm infatuated with that group. Just sucks that it generally takes so long to develop a tight end in the NFL.

D

Deleted member 6794

I definitely agree that we need to look at FA, but I just don't know what these guys are going to cost. I'm perfectly ok waiting until next year to draft a tight end because I'm infatuated with that group. Just sucks that it generally takes so long to develop a tight end in the NFL.

I would be extremely disappointed if Thompson doesn´t significantly upgrade the position this offseason. Because of a lack of talent in the draft free agency is the only way to go.