HQ Mock Draft 4.0 pre combine

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice draft. Love the picks considering we actually manage to land Bulaga! However I don't agree with the gerhart pick. Sure he was a runner up for heisman but if the Pack draft a RB in this draft it would have to be someone with speed, cutback ability with the posibility of playing as an additional KR/PR. Gerhart to me is more of a downhill trucker which we already have in Ryan Grant.

OP
OP
wizard 87

wizard 87

Old Enough To Know Better
Reaction score
Nice draft. Love the picks considering we actually manage to land Bulaga! However I don't agree with the gerhart pick. Sure he was a runner up for heisman but if the Pack draft a RB in this draft it would have to be someone with speed, cutback ability with the posibility of playing as an additional KR/PR. Gerhart to me is more of a downhill trucker which we already have in Ryan Grant.
That Gerhart pick is looking at it like TT...too good to leave on the board.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
TT might do it, so I can see where you're coming from, but I hate the Gerhart pick.

I'm good with the rest of it, though. I would prefer Kyle Wilson in round 1, but either way i'm happy.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could deal with that. But we would still be left with no immeadiate help at OLB. That is where I would change the Gerhart pick for a OLB. Mesko would also be my pick there for sure. A guy who .......should .......be able to get the starting job.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I think we need to find someone opposite CM3.

But people tend to completely dismiss Brad Jones, when he just had a 4 sack in 7 games season, being a 7th round rookie, and playing for the first time in a defensive scheme.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I think we need to find someone opposite CM3.

But people tend to completely dismiss Brad Jones, when he just had a 4 sack in 7 games season, being a 7th round rookie, and playing for the first time in a defensive scheme.
Actually, Brad Jones did pretty good for a rookie 7th round guy.......stepping right in, but if he did ok over there.......imagine if we had a really dominant guy over there.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, Brad Jones did pretty good for a rookie 7th round guy.......stepping right in, but if he did ok over there.......imagine if we had a really dominant guy over there.

That may not always be the case. A prospect drafted higher may play better butit's not always a guarantee. PackersRS makes a great point about Jones' ability as I also think that this kid has nowhere to go but up if given a full season. By the looks of things he certainly deserved to be taken higher than the 7th.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But Jones was brought in because he was athletic, but wasn't very polished.

That means he has plenty of upside. He could still develop into at least a steady starter.

My gut feeling is that the Packers organization feel like they need to adress the OL, DL, S and ST before anything else.

I doubt they feel as thin at CB and OLB as most fans feel.

And on the other hand, I believe that they think DL is a much bigger concern that most fans feel.

I believe, for instance, that our 1st round pick will be either on the OL or DL. It's going to be Bruce Campbell, Bryan Bulaga, Charles Brown, Mike Iupati or JARED ODRICK.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But Jones was brought in because he was athletic, but wasn't very polished.

That means he has plenty of upside. He could still develop into at least a steady starter.

My gut feeling is that the Packers organization feel like they need to adress the OL, DL, S and ST before anything else.

I doubt they feel as thin at CB and OLB as most fans feel.

And on the other hand, I believe that they think DL is a much bigger concern that most fans feel.

I believe, for instance, that our 1st round pick will be either on the OL or DL. It's going to be Bruce Campbell, Bryan Bulaga, Charles Brown, Mike Iupati or JARED ODRICK.
WOW........Jared Odrick.........really??? I don't think anyone would guess we pick a DT in round 1. Now that I think about it......it would be a pretty good pick and I am sure it would shock alot of people. I haven't even thought about a DT being drafted by Green Bay in the first round. Never crossed my mind........ever. We have Raji, Pickett, Jolly, Jenkins,.........and Harrell, which........as far as Harrell is concerned, we have had way more patients with, and needs to be kicked to the curb, like yesterday. I mean, even if the guy got healthy, he has not played hardly at all since being drafted. After we picked him in the first round a few years ago, I was like wwwwwwhhhhaaaaat? He already had a history of injuries. Ted Thompson would really freak alot of people out.....by picking Odrick. I guess we would just put him in the rotation.

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no way Gerhart is left till the 3rd round. Just no way. He is THE dominate power back in the draft this year. I will be shocked if he makes it out of the second round.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is no way Gerhart is left till the 3rd round. Just no way. He is THE dominate power back in the draft this year. I will be shocked if he makes it out of the second round.

That's better for us. I'd rather get someone with some speed like Dwyer or Best.

OP
OP
wizard 87

wizard 87

Old Enough To Know Better
Reaction score

He dropped to round 3 last week and could go as high as upper round 2.
Once we get through the combine things will be clearer.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I swear I heard Gerhart say he's gunning for a 4.3 at the combine. If he pulls that off, color me impressed.

I see him more around a 4.45 or 4.5

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I swear I heard Gerhart say he's gunning for a 4.3 at the combine. If he pulls that off, color me impressed.

Was Al Davis in the room when he said this?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
About Odrick... He would be used as a DE, and is much more disruptive than what we have (besides Jenkins). Also, he has a great motor, and is 6'5", when our DL is too short, making it easier for a QB to see the field.

Plus, there's TT history of drafting guys in the 1st round for future FAs. With the exception of Hawk and Brohm, there's Rodgers (Favre), Harrell (Williams), Nelson (Driver), Raji (Pickett) and Matthews (Kampman).

Cullen Jenkins is a future free agent.

Moreso, we desperately need interior pass rush, more than outside. There's the expectation of Raji coming big, but after 08 I think never will TT make the mistake of having thin personel at the DL. Harrell was expected to play, but both him and Jenkins went to the IR, and suddenly the DL was pretty thin in 08, which caused a lot of concerns.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

LMAO at Gerhart running anything below 4.6 at the 40.

If he runs a 4.4, he's a first round pick. As crazy as that is, running a straight line shooting you 2 rounds.

But that's the way things are. I think he's a tremenduous football player, and would make any team better. Regardless of his speed.

He's not a homerun hitter, but he's far from a FB. He has good moves, he has great ball security. He hasn't been asked to catch a lot of balls, so don't know about his hands.

But he can run. Enough said.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Moreso, we desperately need interior pass rush, more than outside. There's the expectation of Raji coming big, but after 08 I think never will TT make the mistake of having thin personel at the DL. Harrell was expected to play, but both him and Jenkins went to the IR, and suddenly the DL was pretty thin in 08, which caused a lot of concerns.
I totally agree about the interior pass rush. We need to have the capability to just CRUSH the pocket from the inside as well as from the OLB position.
Enter

Terrance Cody / Alabama

Strengths
· Brute Strength
· Phone booth Quickness
· Ability to collapse pockets
· Punishing tackler

Weaknesses
· Conditioning
· Limited pass-rushing abilities
· Inconsistent effort one play to the next

Now with that said.....how can we ...NOT crush the pocket with Pickett/Raji/Cody.....

Answer: It Ain't gonna happen! Ya can't double team every one.!!!! I will argue this point all day long. As far as the Weaknesses stated above? A Couple less ultimate cheeseburgers from jack in the box.........and 100 percent dedication to football instead of classes in college........this guy will perform. With Pickett, Raji, and Cody on short 3rd and 1.........what are you going to do.........run? That is like 1200 lbs right there. Man on man....any of those 3 can push the pocket....right? Is their a team that has something like that in the NFL right now????? Come on guys....let me hear it.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Taylor Mays isnt there... Im liking Patrick Robinson CB florida State!
Patrick Robinson is an exellent football player........but.....the CB class is deep and we need to put some pressure on the QB in order to make life easier on our CB's/SS/FS....so....its not going to be hard to replace Bush and bell in the 4th and 5th round. Its all about getting better at every position. He will be gone before the 3rd round.

espi4797

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Patrick Robinson is an exellent football player........but.....the CB class is deep and we need to put some pressure on the QB in order to make life easier on our CB's/SS/FS....so....its not going to be hard to replace Bush and bell in the 4th and 5th round. Its all about getting better at every position. He will be gone before the 3rd round.
I agree but, I belive our pressure on the qb wasnt that bad at all! besides being torn up by AZ in the playoff game.. Im just saying, if this guy is there its gonna be hard not to take him. Hes great at his position!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts