How will this season be remembered?

H

HardRightEdge

Two seasons ago, I'd bet the Bears and Saints fans felt the same way about their teams
In 2017, the Saints drafted the offensive and defensive rookies of the year in Kamara and Lattimore, while also drafting a high quality RT in Ramczyk and a quality FS in Marcus Williams. That was stacked on top of Michael Thomas and Rankins in 2016.

If at this time next season we can look back at the 2018 and 2019 Packers drafts and see a similar critcal mass of high quality players working on relatively cheap rookie deals, then the rebuild will be accelerated.

The Bears is more of an apples-to-oranges comparison. Last season they were working with their rookie QB, while having a strong defense and running game in place. The QB takes a step up in year two, while being on a relatively cheap deal allowing the Mack move among others.

It's kind of interesting that the Bears signed 3 players that the Packers had or allegedly had interest in. The Packers made a generous tender for Fuller which the Bears matched. Then there were the Bears signings of Robinson and Mack where the Packers supposedly had interest. Having a cheap QB vs. the highest paid heavily factored into this situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

lol...maybe as the best season of Rodgers final contract. hope not. he's only getting older though. next season's scheduled is tough, there's a whole new system/coaching staff/learning curve, to deal with. Rodgers cap hit really gets ridiculous in 2020 ($32.6m). maybe he'll do the Packers a favor and retire after 2021, when he's 39, and the cap hit is only $11m lol.

It's mind-boggling how many Packers fans are ready to throw Rodgers under the bus. It seems you have absolutely no idea how tough it is to get a franchise quarterback.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only reason this season will not be forgotten in a few years is if Rodgers continues to decline. Hopefully it won't be remembered as the beginning of the end of Rodgers.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's mind-boggling how many Packers fans are ready to throw Rodgers under the bus. It seems you have absolutely no idea how tough it is to get a franchise quarterback.

I think what many of us are upset with is not getting a franchise QB but having him perform as such.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Do you know how tough it is to be a franchise quarterback? Personally I don't, my division 5 high school felt like I was easily replaceable.

Honestly, to me it seems easier... You don't play pre-season because you get a free diva pass, get to have input on offensive calls and schemes you like, get make public comments about coaches and internal decisions because no one will fire you, and you get to throw your hands up in disgust when your receivers don't react how they should. Just to make sure all of America knows that it was absolutely not a bad pass but a bad route!

Sure the pressure is higher, as they should be... But he hasn't been good this year at all.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
in my post i threw next year's schedule, Rodgers' contract, and coaching circumstances, under the bus. if they don't have a good draft, free-agency, and coaching hire, they "MAY" have a horrible near-future with Rodgers approaching 40. smh

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is TT’s chickens coming home to roost. Paying the price for backing into that Super Bowl years ago (maybe worth it.... any Super Bowl is hard to come by) .... and not having the balls to make a change after the collapse against Seattle. Green Bay hierarchy settlled for upper mediocrity and that’s were we’ve lived. Starting to fall off ftom that low standard now.
I agree that changes should have been made after the debacle in Seattle. That was the time to dump MM. Ah well, in the past. Crucial decisions lie ahead. I have faith that Gluten will right this ship. I only hope Pettine survives.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is TT’s chickens coming home to roost. Paying the price for backing into that Super Bowl years ago (maybe worth it.... any Super Bowl is hard to come by) .... and not having the balls to make a change after the collapse against Seattle. Green Bay hierarchy settlled for upper mediocrity and that’s were we’ve lived. Starting to fall off ftom that low standard now.

I don't see anything that happened then as having any bearing on today except that it perhaps fooled us in regards to how good Capers was. That year was definitely the outlier in his tenure here as DC surrounded by bad playoff defensive performances in 2009, 2011 and 2012 as standouts. 2013 and 2014 weren't good either, but one does wonder what would have happened had Hyde not dropped the int or HHCD knocked that high floating pass down.

OP
OP
Do7

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see anything that happened then as having any bearing on today except that it perhaps fooled us in regards to how good Capers was. That year was definitely the outlier in his tenure here as DC surrounded by bad playoff defensive performances in 2009, 2011 and 2012 as standouts. 2013 and 2014 weren't good either, but one does wonder what would have happened had Hyde not dropped the int or HHCD knocked that high floating pass down.
While we're at it we may as throw include Bush biting too hard allowing Kaepernick to get those additional yards for the first down to get them in FG range and win the game in Lambeau.

Or Bostick staying formation in regards to special teams

Or Randall staying on his assignment rather than letting Fitzgerald blow passed him

Or the refs calling the Facemask on Rodgers back in 09.

I don't even want to talk about the NFC Championship game against Atlanta. That was just-Ugh.

There were so many good teams, and yet we always managed to shoot ourselves in the foot somehow.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think what many of us are upset with is not getting a franchise QB but having him perform as such.

I agree that Rodgers didn't perform up to expectations this season but I'm optimistic he will be able to play at an elite level with a new head coach next season once again. It seems a lot of posters around here are ready to move on from him though. And that is absolutely ludicrous in my opinion.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm hoping that 2018 will be remembered as the year that the Packers, as an organization and a team, woke up and got busy doing things the right way to win titles.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that Rodgers didn't perform up to expectations this season but I'm optimistic he will be able to play at an elite level with a new head coach next season once again. It seems a lot of posters around here are ready to move on from him though. And that is absolutely ludicrous in my opinion.

Certainly could happen, would be happy to see it.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing I think I’ll remember most about this season, years from now...... .... is that Ray Liotta was finally able to quit smoking.

Members online

Latest posts