How to treat Lacy

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sorry but relying on a wide receiver to consistently produce decent numbers as a running back is a terrible idea.

Would you mind naming some of them???

I havnt looked since final cuts. And a lot of good rbs have been picked up since then... But i remember thinking WOW look at all the rbs out of work. Until that group gets picked clean, theres no use holding a 3rd roster spot for a rb that never plays. Especially when tou are trying to get cobb and montgomery a few carries too....

D

Deleted member 6794

Yes, a RB in the first round. A no brainer !

The Packers most likely will be in need of upgrading other, more important positions early in next year's draft. In addition it depends on if the team decides to re-sign Lacy.

I havnt looked since final cuts. And a lot of good rbs have been picked up since then... But i remember thinking WOW look at all the rbs out of work. Until that group gets picked clean, theres no use holding a 3rd roster spot for a rb that never plays. Especially when tou are trying to get cobb and montgomery a few carries too....

It's a huge advantage having a player within a team's system before being forced to play him. That's true for a running back as well, especially in the Packers offense.

Arkaign

Cheesehead
Reaction score

LOL Feast Mode for sure.

This might be the end of Lacy's career. Teams won't want to sign a guy who can't make weight even to help his team in a contract year, and that extra weight makes injury more likely.

With a strong RB class coming in 2016 and a lot of teams looking for an upgrade, this will kick down a lot more vets with good/decent skills, like what happened to Alfred Morris. Competent, effective, but not outstanding, and he was available. Probably 10-12 hit the streets after the draft that can be scooped up. And Lacy might find himself on the outside looking in. What a waste of talent.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was speaking to the letting Lacy play portion, not the depth at position.

But it is obvious we over compensated for last years debacle by keeping to many WR's. Abbrederis should have been cut at 53 man time to keep another RB. He is never used and there really isn't a sport for him to fit currently with Cobb and Montegomery already in the slot position.

So I guess this means we keep 5 RBs next year

I'm convinced Thompson should have kept three running backs on the roster as a team is only one injury away from having to add a player no other club was interested in adding to their 53.

So which RBs that the Packers could have kept as their #3 is now on another teams 53?

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I guess this means we keep 5 RBs next year

So which RBs that the Packers could have kept as their #3 is now on another teams 53?
TT should have drafted a quicker RB in round four instead of wasting the pick on Lowry who he could have nabbed lower in the draft. The Packers had a need for a quick third down back and the draft and develop king just ignored the need in hopes that Lacy would keep off the weight and stay healthy. Something he showed in 2015 that he probably wouldn't accomplish. Every time the Packers go into the season with a glaring unmet need it just kills them. This year it's depth at TE and RB.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT should have drafted a quicker RB in round four instead of wasting the pick on Lowry who he could have nabbed lower in the draft. The Packers had a need for a quick third down back and the draft and develop king just ignored the need in hopes that Lacy would keep off the weight and stay healthy. Something he showed in 2015 that he probably wouldn't accomplish. Every time the Packers go into the season with a glaring unmet need it just kills them. This year it's depth at TE and RB.
I have no idea about Lowry falling to later rounds. But I have to say Lowry shows promise for our Dline. Can't say what could of happened but I'm happy with the Lowry pick! I don't think he'll turn into Derek Wolfe. The only adjustment would be to bring in an UDFA RB like Brandon Wilds.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Stanford tanking and the Packers looking like an 8 -8 team, the potential for Christian McCaffrey to be available in next year's draft could be rising. Nobody makes people miss in open space like him. Stanford is using him like a regular RB when he is the next Marshall Faulk and should get the ball in the open the way Vermeil used Faulk. Some unwise GM's are going to regret passing on him next year. Let's hope he falls to the Packers.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Stanford tanking and the Packers looking like an 8 -8 team, the potential for Christian McCaffrey to be available in next year's draft could be rising. Nobody makes people miss in open space like him. Stanford is using him like a regular RB when he is the next Marshall Faulk and should get the ball in the open the way Vermeil used Faulk. Some unwise GM's are going to regret passing on him next year. Let's hope he falls to the Packers.

But we have a Christian McCaffrey..in fact we have two. (Cobb and Monty) Packers needs to draft a corner in the first round. Then they need to draft a big fast wr in the second, a tight end in the third, and then another corner. I can see Lacy coming back on a one year deal in hopes of an extension.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Been saying it since emd of 2015 season. . Eddy wont be signed..he jas a drinking problem and isnt fully motivated to play

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Been saying it since emd of 2015 season. . Eddy wont be signed..he jas a drinking problem and isnt fully motivated to play
I had my doubts, then I thought you might be on to something, now I'm mostly convinced.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We went into camp with a bunch, and a top 3 they liked. Glaring unmet need at draft time was the damn defensive line, ilb and offensive line depth. It's all anyone talked about.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But we have a Christian McCaffrey..in fact we have two. (Cobb and Monty) Packers needs to draft a corner in the first round. Then they need to draft a big fast wr in the second, a tight end in the third, and then another corner. I can see Lacy coming back on a one year deal in hopes of an extension.
Your kidding right? TyMo and Cobb aren't near the same level RB as McCaffrey! They aren't even runningbacks! Ive been praying the packers find a way to draft McCaffrey to put our offense on a whole new level. If we dip into the Stanford pool again it has to be this kid!

D

Deleted member 6794

They did, Jackson. They liked him so much that he was brought back after getting dropped before the preseason after he was injured.

The front office didn't feel comfortable about promoting Jackson before not having a single healthy running back anymore though, therefore a different running back probably would have been a better option.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Of course everyone excluding Ted Thompson knew that our top four RB's would all be injured at the same time. TT's biggest problem is his crystal ball is broken and all of us non-GM's have a perfectly working crystal ball.

Ted tends to draft for the season 18 months in advance. He has said repeatedly that quality depth today can change quickly into a deficit of available talent.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL Feast Mode for sure.

This might be the end of Lacy's career. Teams won't want to sign a guy who can't make weight even to help his team in a contract year, and that extra weight makes injury more likely.

With a strong RB class coming in 2016 and a lot of teams looking for an upgrade, this will kick down a lot more vets with good/decent skills, like what happened to Alfred Morris. Competent, effective, but not outstanding, and he was available. Probably 10-12 hit the streets after the draft that can be scooped up. And Lacy might find himself on the outside looking in. What a waste of talent.

It's really too bad. From how he looked his first 2 seasons he was one of the best in the league. Even this year, he ran hard, but it seems his conditioning is still an issue.

That said - this won't be the end of his career, not yet anyway . Still too young with too good of a past track record for one team to not at least take a flyer on him .

Without knowing the specifics of Lacy's issues or relationship with management, I still think it's entirely possible that Lacy returns in 2017 on a 1 year contract. The fit still exists on both sides as returning here us probably Lacy's best shot to resurrect his career, and we certainly don't have any better options waiting in the wings. A draft pick is a possibility, but they may prefer to keep Lacy around for one more year to at least fill the position rather than spend an early pick on a RB that may or may not immediately contribute. Either way, I think a mid to late round project type is certainly a possibility .

If Lacy returns, I would guess something like a 3M base with possible incentives would be his market. It's also possible that they look at other options in free agency for a position that is relatively cheap to fill via FA.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The front office didn't feel comfortable about promoting Jackson before not having a single healthy running back anymore though, therefore a different running back probably would have been a better option.
I bet if Dallas week would have been Atlanta instead, and we had all our DB's back except for Sam and already had Pennell back, he would have been activated earlier. But the week it appeared we needed him, I know I thought getting Pennel back on the field was more important than activating him to the 53. I think the situation dictated his non activation as much as how much they may have liked or not have liked him.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Who are the four running backs you're talking about???
Lacy, Starks, Crockett, Jackson though I think all along there were plans to use Montgomery, Cobb and Ripkowski in limited roles as RB supplements to give defenses different looks.

D

Deleted member 6794

Lacy, Starks, Crockett, Jackson though I think all along there were plans to use Montgomery, Cobb and Ripkowski in limited roles as RB supplements to give defenses different looks.

Crockett was placed on injured reserve before the final cuts had to be made therefore the Packers had enough time to find a decent third running back.

Members online

Latest posts