How to treat Lacy

D

Deleted member 6794

While i think they probably should've kept 3 I'm pretty sure the idea was that Cobb and Montgomery were the new scat backs for this team and as such the 3rd RB wasn't needed.

I'm absolutely convinced that Cobb/Montgomery were to play the third RB role after Crockett got hurt and it allowed them to keep 7 WR's.

I'm sorry but relying on a wide receiver to consistently produce decent numbers as a running back is a terrible idea.

There was/is a good amount of fa rb talent out there.

Would you mind naming some of them???

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Packers were set to go into the regular season with 3 RB's, but when Crockett got hurt at the end of August they were suddenly exposed with really nothing behind him and thus left themselves with no choice but to go with two RB's and try and find an adequate 3rd for the PS. Even that decision you could tell wasn't sitting right with them, they immediately grabbed Pressley when the Vikings cut him and put him on the 53. He didn't last long and the Packers incorrectly assumed that they could get through the season with just Lacy and Starks and develop Jackson.

This season so far IMO has been filled with some glaring mistakes by the powers to be in the way they have/haven't handled certain things; Punter, Sitton, RB, Shields.

Releasing Sitton has worked out fine.

D

Deleted member 6794

True, hopefully Lang or Taylor will be able to play in all games this season though as the team doesn't have a single backup best suited to play the position.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as whether Lacy should have played or not, it depends.

If it's a high ankle sprain, then he shouldn't have been out there. Any weight bearing or running on it could make it worse.

If it was a minor lateral ankle sprain like a typical sprain, then making it worse depends on whether it gets twisted or not. With all the tape he had on there, twisting it again and making it worse is the same or less odds of injuring in the first place, in this case.

Of course there is a wide variety of severity of a lateral sprain that plays into consideration also.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I wasn't as angry about loosing Sitton as I was with getting nothing in return for him. That was what I was referring to in the "handling of" part. I won't rehash the timing of the decision.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True, hopefully Lang or Taylor will be able to play in all games this season though as the team doesn't have a single backup best suited to play the position.
That depends entirely on the actual health of Linsley. I know he is still on PUP, but it might be possible that he could be playing if he were needed. Tretter played very well at guard in the past so...

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't remember Tretter ever playing any meaningful snaps at guard.
Looking back it appears you are right, while he has taken a few snaps at LG most of his previous playing time has been at Tackle and, of course, center.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't see us signing him next year unless it's a real team friendly contract. Probably end up drafting a runner in this stacked class.

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Running back should now be the Packers number one priority either through trade or next years draft. I don't think Lacy will last long (also injury prone) and Starks is not the answer.

D

Deleted member 6794

Running back should now be the Packers number one priority either through trade or next years draft. I don't think Lacy will last long (also injury prone) and Starks is not the answer.

Outside linebacker and cornerback will be a pressing need next offseason as well.

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most likely Wide Receiver and TE as well ;) :eek: It's too early for draft talk for me!

Seems like a lot of pressing needs, but RB is a high impact position. Look what Eziekel has done for Dallas ! Imagine what Barry Sanders would have done for the Packers compared to what Tony Mandrich did !

QB position is number one priority for any team. RB position is number two priority.

D

Deleted member 6794

Seems like a lot of pressing needs, but RB is a high impact position. Look what Eziekel has done for Dallas ! Imagine what Barry Sanders would have done for the Packers compared to what Tony Mandrich did !

QB position is number one priority for any team. RB position is number two priority.

I think you're putting too much value on running backs, especially with a team featuring an elite quarterback. The Packers hopefully won't get the chance to draft Fournette next year.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Most goods teams have in the recent NFL have done so without elite running backs and the Packers will hopefully not be able to draft a player as talented as Elliot.

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy seems to be determined to establishing a running game. You could be determined to put your fist through a brick wall, but unless your fist is very strong it wont happen.

Members online

Latest posts