How to treat Lacy

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only way I could see Lacy back on a 1 yr./$3Mil deal is if Starks is cut and his $3Mil savings is given to Lacy. Really don't think TT will tie-up that much $$ next year on a RB, though.

For the amount of snaps and lead blocks Ripkowski is given I'd get rid of the FB in the game plan and keep 3-4 RB's. If/when MM thinks to use a lead back 1/2 of the time it's a TE, anyway (throwing out extremely vague % but feel free to fact check me).

Love to see our "new" goal line jumbo package include a couple of D-Linemen leading the way blowing-0pen a huge hole.;)

D

Deleted member 6794

Only way I could see Lacy back on a 1 yr./$3Mil deal is if Starks is cut and his $3Mil savings is given to Lacy. Really don't think TT will tie-up that much $$ next year on a RB, though.

Starks, a 30-year old backup running back, signed for $3 million a year this offseason. I expect Lacy to get a more lucrative deal in free agency although I hope it's somewhere else than in Green Bay.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expect Lacy to get a more lucrative deal in free agency although I hope it's somewhere else than in Green Bay.
With a two-year history of being a 260+lb RB I don't think he'll be in high demand, although all it takes is one team to think they can get through to him...

D

Deleted member 6794

With a two-year history of being a 260+lb RB I don't think he'll be in high demand, although all it takes is one team to think they can get through to him...

I'm quite sure there's a team out there expecting to be able to keep Lacy in shape.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Packers hold a big card in regards to Lacy's future right now. If Lacy recovers from his injury and is healthy enough to play again this year, the Packers will have the choice, bring him back or don't bring him back. If Lacy is not brought back from IR, he will just be viewed as a FA RB with some potential and some possible downsides to other teams, including the Packers. If he is brought back from IR and puts together some impressive outings, the Packers may very well price him out of the salary that they would have been willing to pay him moving forward.

Barring any other IR with possible return type injuries of a starter, the Packers may be looking at bringing back either Shields or Lacy. Who they choose will most likely depend on how well the guys playing those prospective positions are playing, which player do they now need the most for the playoffs? I hope the Packers are still in the playoff race when that decision has to be made, but if they aren't, possibly neither of them get brought back. In that case, the situation not to bring Lacy back, may mean the Packers want to retain him and might be able to at a lower salary than if he came back this year and had success. Not bringing Shields back, might just be the Packers way of protecting his future and letting him have the off season to contemplate his career in the NFL.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers hold a big card in regards to Lacy's future right now. If Lacy recovers from his injury and is healthy enough to play again this year, the Packers will have the choice, bring him back or don't bring him back.

If Lacy is healthy enough to play again this season I fully expect the Packers to bring him back from injured reserve as long as the team is in playoff contention at that point.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If Lacy is healthy enough to play again this season I fully expect the Packers to bring him back from injured reserve as long as the team is in playoff contention at that point.

I'm in that same camp. Of course a lot of that depends on how well or poorly backups are playing at RB and CB. If any of Davis/Jackson/Starks step up and become serviceable backs, Lacy may not be needed. However, even if one of them is playing well, Lacy might provide an amazing 1-2 punch needed against the top teams to win in the playoffs.

Given his concussion history, bringing Shields back could prove temporary at best. One hard tackle/hit may end his career for good. Only way I see him playing in GB again this year, is if the Packers are poised to make a playoff run, are getting good production at the RB position and seem weak or shallow at CB.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crockett was placed on injured reserve before the final cuts had to be made therefore the Packers had enough time to find a decent third running back.
May they didn't think any 3rd running back available to them was going to offer what using Montgomery and Cobb out of the backfield could offer? I think we're just starting to see how utilitarian Cobb and Montgomery are going to be in this offense.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
May they didn't think any 3rd running back available to them was going to offer what using Montgomery and Cobb out of the backfield could offer? I think we're just starting to see how utilitarian Cobb and Montgomery are going to be in this offense.

I definitely think using Montgomery or Cobb out of the backfield has its pluses and can keep a defense guessing to some extent. However, a few things concern me when over using it. The first is no power game, we saw what could happen if the Packers are faced with 3rd/4th and short, getting 1-2 yards out of Monty or Cobb against a stacked D line won't be easy. Second, is injuries. Both guys are not the biggest most durable, especially as a RB, I think over using as such creates the situation where you may lose their full value (WR and part time RB) due to injury. Finally, how much game film will other teams have to have, before the surprise of what we are doing is no longer there. It seems like the success of running either guy out of the backfield is keeping the defense guessing (run or pass), once that surprise is missing, its going to be harder to have the success we saw Monty have against the Bears. Reminds me a bit of the Jet Sweep, run it or a fake to it a few times and it can be successful, but over use it and defenses are fully prepared for stopping it.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Starks, a 30-year old backup running back, signed for $3 million a year this offseason. I expect Lacy to get a more lucrative deal in free agency although I hope it's somewhere else than in Green Bay.

The RB market is tough to predict, though. I recall Ingram getting 4M a year in the same offseason that Spiller did, one is one of the better RBs in football and one is worthless . Forte and Bilal Powell got roughly the same. Ivory got overpaid . Foster could barely even get a deal. I didn't think Starks was worth anything more than the 1.5 he was making on the last deal.

I fully expect Starks cut next offseason or at least renegotiated. I have no idea what Lacy will get, but a 1 year prove it deal could make sense for him.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
However, a few things concern me when over using it. The first is no power game, we saw what could happen if the Packers are faced with 3rd/4th and short, getting 1-2 yards out of Monty or Cobb against a stacked D line won't be easy.
Dope MM shouldn't have called that play. That is what Rip is for.

D

Deleted member 6794

The RB market is tough to predict, though. I recall Ingram getting 4M a year in the same offseason that Spiller did, one is one of the better RBs in football and one is worthless . Forte and Bilal Powell got roughly the same. Ivory got overpaid . Foster could barely even get a deal. I didn't think Starks was worth anything more than the 1.5 he was making on the last deal.

I fully expect Starks cut next offseason or at least renegotiated. I have no idea what Lacy will get, but a 1 year prove it deal could make sense for him.

You're correct, I forgot by how much Thompson overpaid to retain Starks.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

1 year for min is my guess. .

Talk at end of season was he was not in the packers future... Drinking and not motivated was to much to over look. .

Then he lost some pounds, packers brass had a glimmer of hope. But he gained it all back plus a few more..

Now hurt, but he played with the injury. So min amount they might do, but he cant really prove anything, they know what he is about.

Maybe team closer to home will be better

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not often talked about, but the extra weight can cause or worsen sprained ankles.

If a contract year and pride couldn't motivate Eddie to layoff the Oreos, then I don't think there is much else that the Packers could do to keep him healthy. Unfortunately, I think that we've already seen his best years. Big backs don't get better with age.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not often talked about, but the extra weight can cause or worsen sprained ankles.

If a contract year and pride couldn't motivate Eddie to layoff the Oreos, then I don't think there is much else that the Packers could do to keep him healthy. Unfortunately, I think that we've already seen his best years. Big backs don't get better with age.
I think the only reason Eddie is on IR is because of Eddie. People were so quick to jump on the staff because they had him playing against the cowboys, but what were they supposed to do? Give a ballooning and unmotivated guy in a contract year more time off? and it was obvious that his ankle was not so bad he couldn't play. Lots of guys play on that injury. But I think he got hurt in part because of how he takes care of his body. To his credit he runs damn hard, I love the way he runs.

But it's so frustrating that won't take better care of himself. Hurdling defenders at 230 would be a lot less impactful than hurdling them at 265 or whatever he is now. I'm certain he hurt himself worse in that game, and I'd bet my house that was directly impacted by all the extra weight he's choosing to carry.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember getting ripped on this forum during Eddie's rookie season for suggesting that they shut him down for the year and let his twice-injured ankle heal. I'm not even sure. Is this the same ankle? I looked it up. Sounds like it was the right ankle in 2013 and now it's the left ankle.

Members online

Latest posts