How to Judge a QB

realoatesman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Currently going to college in Minnesota, but origi
Before I start, I know this is looking way ahead but it's just a theoretical question.

Say Rodgers wins more than 1 SB with the Pack. Would he be considered a better QB/Packer than Favre was?

How do you judge a QB? Stats? Wins and Losses? Or Championships?

Just interested to see what people's opinions are.

Packer 007

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is tricky.

Was Favre a better quarterback than Troy Aikman? All variables considered, I say yes. But Aikman was more successful. Favre's personal numbers are just staggering. Yes, I know the int stat is staggering too. In the end, Championships are the bottom line.

I guess I'd say Rodgers certainly has a chance of being more successful, but I can't imagine him ever being a better quarterback than Brett.

This is just my personal view, and there's so many ways to look at it. I'd rather have three Favre Super Bowl wins than the #1 touchdown stat. Then again, Favre added so much fun, and jaw dropping plays for the Packer fans. That counts for something, too. And on the flip side, Rodgers may not wow us with as many highlight reel plays, but he will not, on his own, break our hearts as much, either.

Yes, so many ways to look at it...

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is tricky.

Was Favre a better quarterback than Troy Aikman? All variables considered, I say yes. But Aikman was more successful. Favre's personal numbers are just staggering. Yes, I know the int stat is staggering too. In the end, Championships are the bottom line.

I guess I'd say Rodgers certainly has a chance of being more successful, but I can't imagine him ever being a better quarterback than Brett.

This is just my personal view, and there's so many ways to look at it. I'd rather have three Favre Super Bowl wins than the #1 touchdown stat. Then again, Favre added so much fun, and jaw dropping plays for the Packer fans. That counts for something, too. And on the flip side, Rodgers may not wow us with as many highlight reel plays, but he will not, on his own, break our hearts as much, either.

Yes, so many ways to look at it...

Okay by my notes Favre's first year we were 8-8, then 10-6 and the play offs. Then 9-7 and the play offs.

So I'm not sure I want to compare rodgers to when Favre started we lost some pretty bad games those early years.

Aikman had great personnel around him, an awesome o-line and consistency at RB and WR and FB on his side of the field. Very few teams in this age can do that.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
matter of opinion..

Like Packer 007 said..

Is Young Better than Farve?

Is Kelly better than Favre?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We won't know until one of them retires. But right now I'm saying no. I think it's clear that Rodgers is a franchise qb, or capable of being one, but what Favre did is top 10 all time. The man is 39 and still playing great, wrong reasons or not. Rodgers needs to start making something out of nothing before he can be put in there.

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you honestly see the Pack going to the Super Bowl within the next five years? We are in the fifth year in the TT era and this team really isn't producing. Yes Minnesota and Cincy are great teams but championship caliber teams find ways to beat their toughest opponents and it is just not getting done. I just can't see that getting done with this current administration.

pbateman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most use Super Bowl wins as the best way to judge. Look at how Dan Marino is always defined as the best QB to never win a Super Bowl. It follows him everywhere.

Too soon to start comparing Rodgers and Favre, I do hope they fix the O-line and give the kid a chance. I may not agree with TT and MM on Favre, but I do want to see Rodgers succeed and management has put him in a tough spot right now with high expectations, meanwhile he's running for his life every game.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Depends how many he wins.

Rodgers wins 2? No. I'd still take Favre.

3 is the number where Rodgers jumps Favre, to me.

And frankly, after last night I feel like Favre might win his 2nd before Rodgers gets his 1st.

pbateman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We won't know until one of them retires. But right now I'm saying no. I think it's clear that Rodgers is a franchise qb, or capable of being one, but what Favre did is top 10 all time. The man is 39 and still playing great, wrong reasons or not. Rodgers needs to start making something out of nothing before he can be put in there.

I completely agree. I'll say that on raw talent alone, I'd take Rodgers over most QB's in the league. However, he needs to show success and progress over a number of years before he comes close to Favre.

pbateman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Depends how many he wins.

Rodgers wins 2? No. I'd still take Favre.

3 is the number where Rodgers jumps Favre, to me.

And frankly, after last night I feel like Favre might win his 2nd before Rodgers gets his 1st.

I agree. After four weeks, Minnesota, the Giants and New Orleans look like the class of the NFC.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
You HAVE to give #4 his props. ... any way you cut it, the guy is an entire generation's "guy" because they never Joe Montana in his prime... Bart Starr ... different generations to be sure ... Bradshaw .... and in my opinion, the guy that is the closest to what I think is the epitome of the next great NFL QB ... ahem... Brady ... one common link is that they're winners, they made everyone around them better, demanding perfection from themselves and all around them and that translates into Championships. #4 got one... as Ron Wolf said in referring to the entire team after losing in San Diego ... "We were a fart in the wind".... Championships... that's all that matters - and it's not all about the QB and the 'skill' players ... ah what am I yappin' about, so much of the ESPN generation has no clue what it was like watching real football. Before the Marketing Departments and agents took over.