How to handle Lacy

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lacy sounds like he's well on his way to becoming the Bionic Man.
In the same twitter feed, Lang says he's finally heard from the team, and expects his agent to be sitting down with them soon.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have some people in here who swear there's no way the Packers bring him back. Won't say any names tho. They have "sources".

D

Deleted member 6794

I wonder if the Packers and other teams will wait for Lacy's ankle to fully heal before offering him a contract.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I wonder if the Packers and other teams will wait for Lacy's ankle to fully heal before offering him a contract.

Guessing that it will depend on the prognosis of the doctors and how other athletes have responded to similar surgeries. Given that he is almost 4 months removed from surgery, they probably are starting to see a pretty clear picture of how it has healed. He is doing a lot of pool work, but hasn't run on it yet.

I honestly have less concern about the ankle than I do his weight and conditioning. I would get ahead of the curve and sign him sooner than later under the same pretenses, no guarantees. Come to camp and be ready to run or you are done.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
We have some people in here who swear there's no way the Packers bring him back. Won't say any names tho. They have "sources".

My post was this time last year that the team didn't want him back..things do change..

If you look at last posts of mine about him, I did mention him being back..

I've already said who my sources were..

Just like Ted I said he may step down, then 2 months later it's all over the news..

But nice try

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My post was this time last year that the team didn't want him back..things do change..

If you look at last posts of mine about him, I did mention him being back..

I've already said who my sources were..

Just like Ted I said he may step down, then 2 months later it's all over the news..

But nice try

Nice try what? Touchy touchy haha. I didn't mention any names but since you felt the need to respond anyways..I'd like to thank you for enlightening us:tup:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Obviously, the term " A Drinking problem" can be interpreted in many different ways by everyone.

No offense to you LTF or your source, but IMO this "Lacy has a drinking problem" for now, seems more like an embellishment of the already publicized notion that in addition to his working out hard in the 2016 offseason, he also "stopped drinking as much booze and eating greasy seafood." Couple that with his missed curfew due to being out partying late, his weight and conditioning issues and someone has themselves a good Eddie Lacy story.

I am not saying with 100% certainty that he doesn't have a drinking problem and I can understand how the rumor got started, but these guys live under a public/social media microscope and I just find it hard to believe that if he has a drinking problem, especially a known one by the Packers, it slipped through the cracks of the internet.

Maybe he does have a problem and few know about it and are hoping to help him get it under control, but I will believe it, if and when it is a lot more publically known.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Obviously, the term " A Drinking problem" can be interpreted in many different ways by everyone.

No offense to you LTF or your source, but IMO this "Lacy has a drinking problem" for now, seems more like an embellishment of the already publicized notion that in addition to his working out hard in the 2016 offseason, he also "stopped drinking as much booze and eating greasy seafood." Couple that with his missed curfew due to being out partying late, his weight and conditioning issues and someone has themselves a good Eddie Lacy story.

I am not saying with 100% certainty that he doesn't have a drinking problem and I can understand how the rumor got started, but these guys live under a public/social media microscope and I just find it hard to believe that if he has a drinking problem, especially a known one by the Packers, it slipped through the cracks of the internet.

Maybe he does have a problem and few know about it and are hoping to help him get it under control, but I will believe it, if and when it is a lot more publically known.
You have to remember, the issue was in 2016 of Feb..

I was told at the time they didn't want him back.. He wasn't making curfew, was not motivated, gained way to much weight. When have you seen Mm call a player out like he did to Eddy after 2015 season?

Unless he changed they were done.. I posted if they saw something showing he cared they would consider signing.

Since he was hurt the talk is he won't get a big contract and they want to try a one year so he can prove himself...

I know who told me what and how they know... From now on I won't say anything

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You have to remember, the issue was in 2016 of Feb..

I was told at the time they didn't want him back.. He wasn't making curfew, was not motivated, gained way to much weight. When have you seen Mm call a player out like he did to Eddy after 2015 season?

Unless he changed they were done.. I posted if they saw something showing he cared they would consider signing.

Since he was hurt the talk is he won't get a big contract and they want to try a one year so he can prove himself...

I know who told me what and how they know... From now on I won't say anything

Like I said, I get how it could possibly be true, but I won't fully believe it or at least not believe that it wasn't a big enough issue that they/he weren't able to fix it. Could end up being a bit like Favre's vicodin issue or just turn out to be he was drinking more then he should or the Packers wanted him to. When you read "he has a drinking problem", that sounds a lot more serious than "he needs to cut back on how much he drinks". Semantics, but a pretty wide gap between what each can mean.

Adrien

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They should sign Lacy to a one-year prove it kind of deal. As long as Lacy runs with power, and efficiency who cares how heavy he is? The man was averaging 5.1 yards per carry before his ankle injury.

The biggest issue with the running backs is Packers don't have enough of them. You can't go into a season with just two backs anymore. Look at the Patriots, Blount rushed for 1,100 yards and 15 TDs in the regular season, but in the playoffs it was Deion Lewis (vs. Houston) and James White (vs. Atlanta) that did all the damaged.

D

Deleted member 6794

They should sign Lacy to a one-year prove it kind of deal. As long as Lacy runs with power, and efficiency who cares how heavy he is? The man was averaging 5.1 yards per carry before his ankle injury.

Packers fans care about Lacy's weight because him being out of shape results in the running back not being able to finish drives and most likely contributed to his season ending injury.

BTW while his yards per attempt was impressive he didn't score a single touchdown though.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Like I said, I get how it could possibly be true, but I won't fully believe it or at least not believe that it wasn't a big enough issue that they/he weren't able to fix it. Could end up being a bit like Favre's vicodin issue or just turn out to be he was drinking more then he should or the Packers wanted him to. When you read "he has a drinking problem", that sounds a lot more serious than "he needs to cut back on how much he drinks". Semantics, but a pretty wide gap between what each can mean.
When your drinking enough to gain weight during the season and missing every curfew, is that a problem?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
When your drinking enough to gain weight during the season and missing every curfew, is that a problem?

I wasn't aware that Lacy missed every curfew. That isn't good, not good at all. Sounds like Lacy has a curfew problem?

I guess if you are drinking too many milkshakes to gain unwanted weight during the season, that is bad too. In the milkshake example, I don't think anyone would refer to that as a "drinking problem"? But more of a dietary intake problem that directly effects his weight. Nor is eating greasy fatty foods considered an "eating disorder". So if you are drinking "enough alcohol to gain weight" is that a drinking problem or a dietary problem?

All about choices and I think Eddie hasn't learned to make some of the right choices yet. How bad his decisions have been seems to be reflected in the rumored low end, no guaranteed contract. If some of those decisions are career ending, I guess we will find out soon enough.

Last edited:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
By signing Lacy you just add another question mark to the season. Can he stay in shape and stay committed?

If he does have a serious alcohol problem then simply having some "fines" in place to off-set it wont work.

He isnt a "tier 1" RB and after tier one RB's become a dime a dozen so this potential signing doesnt get me all that excited.

Some of these guys will conform as long as the heat is on but the second its not there back to there old ways.

Last edited:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Also, as soon as Lacy and Starks were gone is when this offense was forced to change and became much more efficient and successful.

I liked Monty and Michael. Ripper can pound and they can add another guy in the draft

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
By signing Lacy you just add another question mark to the season. Can he stay in shape and stay committed?

If he does have a serious alcohol problem then simply having some "fines" in place to off-set it wont work.

He isnt a "tier 1" RB and after tier one RB's become a dime a dozen so this potential signing doesnt get me all that excited.

Some of these guys will conform as long as the heat is on but the second its not there back to there old ways.

Also, as soon as Lacy and Starks were gone is when this offense was forced to change and became much more efficient and successful.

I liked Monty and Michael. Ripper can pound and they can add another guy in the draft

What exactly did you like about Michael?

Signing Lacy to a no guarantee contract only gets him to camp, it doesn't mean he makes the team. Not sure how he isn't a "tier 1" RB if he can replicate his season 1, 2 and first 5 games of last year.

If you want a "tier 1" RB to go along with Monty, Michael probably isn't that and signing someone like Charles or Peterson is going to be more expensive than Lacy as well as bring up as many questions of durability and productivity in my mind. Let me know what "tier 1" RB you would sign and how much that would cost.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
What exactly did you like about Michael?

Signing Lacy to a no guarantee contract only gets him to camp, it doesn't mean he makes the team. Not sure how he isn't a "tier 1" RB if he can replicate his season 1, 2 and first 5 games of last year.

If you want a "tier 1" RB to go along with Monty, Michael probably isn't that and signing someone like Charles or Peterson is going to be more expensive than Lacy as well as bring up as many questions of durability and productivity in my mind. Let me know what "tier 1" RB you would sign and how much that would cost.

Michael had a productive season in Seattle last year and played well here considering he was brought in mid-season and having learn a completely different system. I like Michael's burst. He is a "cut and go" RB.

Never said they need a "tier 1 RB". I don't want them to get Peterson or Charles either. Like I posted I would of been happy with Monty, Michael, Ripper and drafting some "new blood" in the draft.

Marlon Mack is the guy I would target. I am not interested in playing the "Jenny Craig Game"

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
By signing Lacy you just add another question mark to the season.........He isnt a "tier 1" RB and after tier one RB's become a dime a dozen so this potential signing doesnt get me all that excited.

You seemed to want to dismiss Lacy because...in your mind he isn't a Tier 1 RB. With that, I assume you were wanting a Tier 1 RB, my bad. The type of contract being talked about with Lacy isn't even close to Tier 1 either.

If the Packers don't sign Lacy, I think it would be a mistake going into 2017 with Monty, Michael and a Rookie. Given Michael couldn't stick around with Seattle (twice) or Dallas and his lack of production in GB, he doesn't excite me one bit. If Lacy isn't signed, I would hope the Packers sign a vet FA RB to compete with Monty and a mid round rookie.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts