How to handle Lacy

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with you that we SHOULD bring back Lacy.

The AD talk is just a bunch of pipe dream BS, but I was/am a fan of Adrian Peterson going back to his OU games

I DON'T agree with you on assessing Lacy as "elite" earlier though

I think people need to understand that Lacy and Montgomery are what "they are" and how they "fit" into what the Packers are trying to do on Offense.

I believe that:
1. Montgomery has better speed than anyone we have besides Michael... BUT his best asset is to use him out of the back field as a reciever and to motion him and get Empty sets
2. Lacy will and SHOULD be retained as his purpose is to "tire out" defenses after they've been tired out and spread around from our passing offense. I would imagine that it is no fun to tackle Eddie Lacy

Lacy isn't going to be some 1500+ yard monster.. and I don't believe he ever will, or will we ever need him to get that many rushing yards, his primary purpose is to punish the defense after being worn out from the passing attack

In an offense like the Packers you don't have much chance for a 1500 yard RB and you don't need one. I'll take a back that gets 1600 total yards with 1200 rushing and doesn't have to come off the field on passing downs over one who gets 1600 rushing yards but can't be counted on to contribute in the passing game whether it is by catching passes or being able to block. I think Lacy can be productive in the passing game as his numbers increased from year 1 to year 2 and I think the main reason they went down in year 3 was because of his weight and conditioning issues.

I would like a backfield of Lacy and Montgomery and a rookie and maybe Jackson sticking around on the PS or even as the #3 if we don't get a rookie but I have no desire to see Michael back. Like Poker I would not want to see a backfield of Montgomery/Micheal/rookie or any other combination that puts Ty as our primary back without some help. I like Ty a lot and I think he can be good for 15 carries a game plus or minus a few (though I'd prefer 10 carries and 5 catches) but I don't want to have to count on it. I thik Lacy is well worth a look and I'd prefer him over Peterson and Charles even though I've always thought Charles was very under rated.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
That's an interesting stat. If true, sample size would be my next question. How many times did he actually face base defense? Was it all or mostly on the goal line?

My guess would be that the Packers faced sub package defense on almost 100% of Montgomery's snaps. If teams do play base with him in the backfield, I hope they throw every time.

Adrien

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no doubt in my mind that Lacy was an elite running back during his first two seasons with the Packers. He has the ability to wear out a freah defense as well but unfortunately he has to be in shape to do that because otherwise he's the one getting tired first.

It's true that Lacy doesn't need to rush for 1,500 yards with the Packers as the offense is centered around Rodgers and the passing game. Nevertheless the team benefits from having a running back performing at the level Eddie did early in his career though.

Lacy will always be a big running back and I'm fine with him playing at 240 pounds. There's no way he's effective in the long haul with another 20 pounds though.

It's not surprising the entire team struggled to score rushing touchdowns early last season as Lacy was the main threat in that area entering the season.

As long as he can be productive, I'm fine with his weight, but over the past two seasons he has shown a lack of concerns about taking care of his body. Packers need to draft another running back, and probably sign one or two as well to keep them all healthy and put some pressure on Lacy. I agree with you that Lacy was the main threat to score touchdowns on the ground.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sign him to a 7 million 2 year deal...2.75m guareented...Incentives lead up to 3.25m. Then trade him to the Colts along with our first rounder for their 14th pick in the first round and Frank Gore. With the 14th pick we go after Hassan Red**** from Temple or Adoree Jackson from USC. Frank Gore brings veteran savvy, consistent production, and a running style that compliments the entire offense. The icing on the cake is Gore's expiring contract and a chance to get a ring. Red**** at ILB along with Martinez brings athleticism between the seams and coverage ability with slots and tight ends. Or... Adoree Jackson, who will be a star, locks down one side of the field, making life easier for the rest of the defense.

Reggie White Cheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sign him to a 7 million 2 year deal...2.75m guareented...Incentives lead up to 3.25m. Then trade him to the Colts along with our first rounder for their 14th pick in the first round and Frank Gore. With the 14th pick we go after Hassan Red**** from Temple or Adoree Jackson from USC. Frank Gore brings veteran savvy, consistent production, and a running style that compliments the entire offense. The icing on the cake is Gore's expiring contract and a chance to get a ring. Red**** at ILB along with Martinez brings athleticism between the seams and coverage ability with slots and tight ends. Or... Adoree Jackson, who will be a star, locks down one side of the field, making life easier for the rest of the defense.

I like the 2nd part. But for that to happen we need to acquire Gore. I like Hassan Red**** he is a BEAST. I would not be oppose to this, however, the way the cookies are crumbling it seems more and more likely the Forrest Lamp pick (OL) is looking like TT's first rounder.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the 2nd part. But for that to happen we need to acquire Gore. I like Hassan Red**** he is a BEAST. I would not be oppose to this, however, the way the cookies are crumbling it seems more and more likely the Forrest Lamp pick (OL) is looking like TT's first rounder.

That would be a waste...Western Kentucky? Get Outta Here!!! TT cannot make this pick.

D

Deleted member 6794

It would make absolutely no sense to sign Lacy to a contract including any guarantees and then trade him as that money would immediately count against the Packers cap in 2017. In addition the team doesn't need a 34-year old running back entering next season.

I would not be oppose to this, however, the way the cookies are crumbling it seems more and more likely the Forrest Lamp pick (OL) is looking like TT's first rounder.

The Packers still need a #1 cornerback first before addressing any other position. Thompson hasn't spend an early round pick on a guard either.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Some people like bringing up Hyde and Hayward with the "why didn't we keep them" debate. How about Eddie Lacy, who many wanted to resign.....myself included. :oops:

"Lacy ends his disastrous first — and surely only — season in Seattle with four straight healthy scratches. A shell of the player he was upon first arriving in the NFL, 27-year-old Lacy never had a prayer behind the Seahawks' horrendous offensive line. He averaged 2.59 yards per carry between injuries, benchings and depth chart shakeups. Headed back to free agency, Lacy won't be missing many calls even if he keeps his phone on silent. "

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Some people like bringing up Hyde and Hayward with the "why didn't we keep them" debate. How about Eddie Lacy, who many wanted to resign.....myself included. :oops:

"Lacy ends his disastrous first — and surely only — season in Seattle with four straight healthy scratches. A shell of the player he was upon first arriving in the NFL, 27-year-old Lacy never had a prayer behind the Seahawks' horrendous offensive line. He averaged 2.59 yards per carry between injuries, benchings and depth chart shakeups. Headed back to free agency, Lacy won't be missing many calls even if he keeps his phone on silent. "
I hope he cleaned up his drinking issue..

If he did, I think GB might entertain him back

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I hope he cleaned up his drinking issue..

If he did, I think GB might entertain him back

At Veteran minimum, he might be a welcome addition to compete for a spot on the 53. Like that comment said, I don't think a lot of people will be approaching Eddie with a job offer and like you said, zero if drinking is an issue.

He definity should be "hungry" now and not just stomach hungry, but hungry to either rejuvenate his career in the NFL or be done for good.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
At Veteran minimum, he might be a welcome addition to compete for a spot on the 53. Like that comment said, I don't think a lot of people will be approaching Eddie with a job offer and like you said, zero if drinking is an issue.

He definity should be "hungry" now and not just stomach hungry, but hungry to either rejuvenate his career in the NFL or be done for good.

He always had an issue being motivated... Not sure he ever can be... Packers called his coaches at Bama on how to get thru to him

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He always had an issue being motivated... Not sure he ever can be... Packers called his coaches at Bama on how to get thru to him

Did they respond "a tutor and chinese food?"

I can see the guy playing with some extra weight, but if he is drinking too much, I would think that is a big problem. Too many negative impacts on the body and the mind to successfully play in the NFL with a drinking problem. *waits for all the "success stories" to be posted. :coffee:

I think all Rookies should be shown the infamous "Joe Namath-Suzy Kolber Sideline interview" footage. I was watching that game live, I even put my drink down.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
The Packers have a promising future with their running backs.

There's no way I would entertain the thought of bringing Lacy back under any circumstances. The guy has had chance after chance after chance to get his act together. All of the talent and physical ability in the world, but not an ounce of motivation to use any of it.

I'm thrilled that the team decided to move on after last season.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Packers have a promising future with their running backs.

There's no way I would entertain the thought of bringing Lacy back under any circumstances. The guy has had chance after chance after chance to get his act together. All of the talent and physical ability in the world, but not an ounce of motivation to use any of it.

I'm thrilled that the team decided to move on after last season.

Some thought Monty was the answer at running back after the 2016 season ;)

While I agree with you and I liked what I saw out of Jones and Williams, Lacy wouldn't be that much of a gamble and more of an insurance policy, if signed to a vet minimum, no guarantees contract.

I also wouldn't blame all of 2017's lack of production on just Lacy alone. The Seahawks were terrible on the ground. Toss out Russell Wilson's team leading 586 yards and Mike Davis led the Seahawks' running backs with 240 rushing yards, even though he spent most of the season on the practice squad and played in only six games

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Some thought Monty was the answer at running back after the 2016 season ;)

While I agree with you and I liked what I saw out of Jones and Williams, Lacy wouldn't be that much of a gamble and more of an insurance policy, if signed to a vet minimum, no guarantees contract.

I also wouldn't blame all of 2017's lack of production on just Lacy alone. The Seahawks were terrible on the ground. Toss out Russell Wilson's team leading 586 yards and Mike Davis led the Seahawks' running backs with 240 rushing yards, even though he spent most of the season on the practice squad and played in only six games
I don't want the Packers to even be put in a position to get hoodwinked by Lacy again.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't want the Packers to even be put in a position to get hoodwinked by Lacy again.

LOL.....I think the Seahawks already took on the hoodwinking for us. A Vet. min salary, with no guarantees is hardly setting yourself up for a hoodwinking. ;)

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
LOL.....I think the Seahawks already took on the hoodwinking for us. A Vet. min salary, with no guarantees is hardly setting yourself up for a hoodwinking. ;)
Imagine a world where he comes into training camp, knocks it out of the park, maintains a reasonable weight, gives reason to believe he'll provide production. Then around week 5 or 6, he's back on the Miller Lite and bean burritos. Sure we could cut him, but I'd rather not even waste the time with him. Don't even want him taking a roster spot from another player that has potential.

Can you tell I'm not a big fan of Lacy? :eek:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Imagine a world where he comes into training camp, knocks it out of the park, maintains a reasonable weight, gives reason to believe he'll provide production. Then around week 5 or 6, he's back on the Miller Lite and bean burritos. Sure we could cut him, but I'd rather not even waste the time with him. Don't even want him taking a roster spot from another player that has potential.

Can you tell I'm not a big fan of Lacy? :eek:

You don't like Lacy? Nahhhh....couldn't tell.

So during those 4 or 5 games when he is "knocking it out of the park" how many yards and TD's did he score? :D

You are also framing this in "worst case scenario" ;) and I get it, Lacy started a few seasons in shape and quickly fell out.

I only brought Lacy back up as a "where are they now" guy....blame LTF for putting the bug in my head about bringing him back LOL

There are a lot of guys like Lacy every year that teams can bring in and give one last chance to, some of them knock the ball out of the park and some strikeout, but when there isn't much to risk, other than in your scenario, the roster spot of an UDFA that probably doesn't end the year on the roster anyway, the risk might be worth it.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i've NEVER heard anything about a drinking issue.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Me neither. Anybody got a link to this?

Pass on Lacy unless you want to bring him into training camp and is there for insurance in case one of the top 3 guys get injured. Younger running backs is almost always the way to go.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with Jones and Williams. I think both are hungry, in a good way and will show up ready to work again. Mayes can earn some carries with hard work. He has to put in the work though, 2 carries 2 fumbles isn't going to be forgotten. He'll get a chance to make the team again next year. I'd add a guy to the mix, but it wouldn't be Lacy

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with Jones and Williams. I think both are hungry, in a good way and will show up ready to work again. Mayes can earn some carries with hard work. He has to put in the work though, 2 carries 2 fumbles isn't going to be forgotten. He'll get a chance to make the team again next year. I'd add a guy to the mix, but it wouldn't be Lacy
So you're saying they're hungry for success and rank, not for double chili cheese burgers and ding dongs, right? ;)

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
as tasty as those may sound, i don't believe the ding dongs and chili cheese
are on their menus . thankfully

Members online

Latest posts