How the Anthony Barr hit will be remembered

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
The absolute worst fear any Packers fan has will eventually turn out to be the turning point of some really great Packers football that will be played over the next several seasons.

Anthony Barr driving Aaron Rodgers into the turf against the Vikings in October made every Packers fan quit breathing for a few seconds. Some might have actually fainted. I know I almost did. Everyone knew that Aaron Rodgers was the absolute only hope for the Green Bay Packers remaining relevant. And those who were in denial about it couldn't deny the results after he went down.

But now, Dom Capers has been relieved of his coaching duties for the Packers defense, and renewed hope is going to be restored. All because Aaron Rodgers went down. Had he have not went down, we were on pace to win 11-12 games, make the playoffs, win a game or two, but ultimately fall just as we have the past few seasons. The Barr hit altered the status quo.

Now is the time to hit a home run with the next defensive coordinator.

Aaron Rodgers by his own admission is on the back 9 of his career. And I think they we're going to see some birdies and eagles over this back 9. Every single season, when you talk about Super Bowl contenders, the Packers have been discussed. If the Packers do this the right way and make the right hire, the Lombardi will be coming home sooner rather than later.

Sometimes there has to be a short term sacrifice for long term gain. Things have been really bad the past several weeks. The Packers have hit rock bottom, but they're on the way back up.

Believe, Packers fans. It's coming.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

The absolute worst fear any Packers fan has will eventually turn out to be the turning point of some really great Packers football that will be played over the next several seasons.

Anthony Barr driving Aaron Rodgers into the turf against the Vikings in October made every Packers fan quit breathing for a few seconds. Some might have actually fainted. I know I almost did. Everyone knew that Aaron Rodgers was the absolute only hope for the Green Bay Packers remaining relevant. And those who were in denial about it couldn't deny the results after he went down.

But now, Dom Capers has been relieved of his coaching duties for the Packers defense, and renewed hope is going to be restored. All because Aaron Rodgers went down. Had he have not went down, we were on pace to win 11-12 games, make the playoffs, win a game or two, but ultimately fall just as we have the past few seasons. The Barr hit altered the status quo.

Now is the time to hit a home run with the next defensive coordinator.

Aaron Rodgers by his own admission is on the back 9 of his career. And I think they we're going to see some birdies and eagles over this back 9. Every single season, when you talk about Super Bowl contenders, the Packers have been discussed. If the Packers do this the right way and make the right hire, the Lombardi will be coming home sooner rather than later.

Sometimes there has to be a short term sacrifice for long term gain. Things have been really bad the past several weeks. The Packers have hit rock bottom, but they're on the way back up.

Believe, Packers fans. It's coming.

No offence intended here mate but sometimes **** happens ! It`ll be interesting to see how it pans out next season though when he`s back fully fit.

Reaction score
It’s interesting. It’s obviously the past, but I firmly believe it was unnecessary and there’s zero denying that Barr took a full 2 steps (after AR clearly released the ball) with Barr looking directly at his throwing motion. He therefore cannot deny launching purposefully and squarely into Aaron while trying to put his full body weight into landing on him to inflict maximum punishment.
While it might be “within the confines” of the rules or “open to interpretation” by the umpire and prone to fans taking the position of defending the senseless finish to the play because of it being “legal”, there is no place for what Barr’s behavior was after the known fact he would require surgery. Barr then 100% already knew he had put him on the operating table. There was zero remorse and worse yet, Barr then took it a step further by taking a defensive stance of antagonizing a player he severely injured.
Regardless of what position you take on the tackle it’s irrelevant to what followed (I believe MM had it right it was “legal but completely unnecessary”). The aftermath showed conclusively to me that Anthony Barr is an immature, insensitive boy who hasn’t even matured enough to allow the basic, minimal level of respect each person deserves, yet alone requires when injuring them enough to send them to the hospital.
Then I remember many of these these guys are just kids, look at their dates of birth it’s just alarming how young they actually are and how immature some still are.

Last edited:

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It won't matter. Ted will keep trading down picks and change will only happen 1 year at a time. Next year Ted will be McCarthy's scapegoat. The year after, McCarthy will be gone. All the change needed to be done at once because (my personal opinion) all of these guys suck. It's Black Monday and it looks like McCarthy is staying and we lost a chance on Gruden. Saban next?

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bummed here, needed to clean house, MM was exposed this year, show this staff the door. The "hit" exposed MM as an extremely over rated coach. Show him the door and get Patricia.

I

What does that have to do with the original posters question ?

I

Where is it official about Thompson ? I can`t find anything.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Almost a year later, things are starting to come to fruition.

The Barr hit most definitely altered the status quo, and even though the Packers are currently 3-4-1, there is a lot to be encouraged about for the future. I said it's time to knock it out of the park with the next defensive coordinator, and I believe we have in Pettine. We now have a more aggressive GM that will use all methods of team building at his disposal, as opposed to his predecessor.

The first offseason, and half of the regular season, has had some great moments, some head scratching moments, etc. Drafting a punter in the 5th round, drafting a long snapper, ridding ourselves of problem and/or performance issue players. This has been a period of beginning to rebuild the basic structure of the roster.

Without the Barr hit, I firmly believe not much would have changed. Aaron Rodgers masked a lot of the weaknesses and deficiencies of this team. Thompson probably wouldn't be the GM right now if his health concerns are what I believe them to be, but I think there's no doubt that Barr driving Rodgers into the dirt, thus forcing the world to see a Packers team without him fluster, opened a bunch of eye balls.

I'll always view it as a blessing in disguise. But we'll know for sure in the near future.

Reaction score
Wow I read the first post and thought you were talking back. I saw it was in January! Good call! I agree 100%. That Barr hit has forced GB to adjust their roster and develop into a well rounded and balanced team.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well...Rodgers is back and they're just as inconsistent as ever. maybe Rodgers didn't mask as much as we thought. i said hopefully the Packers would 'blow up in a good way' but rather than the explosion i wanted they've opted for a slow burn by only getting rid of pieces...gm, a couple of coordinators, a front office reorganization this year, a new head coach (and probably another o coordinator) next year. there's reason for some optimism. Gute seems to have had a good draft and they'll have some nice picks in the upcoming draft. they'll have some cap room to make some free agent moves, this off-season, but then they'll be under the gun the following year with Clark and others needing extensions. what you get is same old, same old...a team with little cap room depending on an inconsistent Rodgers who will be two years older and pulling the biggest check in the league. sounds like 9-7, 10-6 for the next few years...but...i could be wrong...:whistling:
;)

D

Deleted member 6794

maybe Rodgers didn't mask as much as we thought. a team with little cap room depending on an inconsistent Rodgers who will be two years older and pulling the biggest check in the league.

Rodgers definitely masked the team lacking overall talent for several seasons. It's kind of a strange approch calling the most efficient quarterback in league history as inconsistent.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He not only masked the talent and coaching deficiency, he masked issues all the way at the top of the organization. It's fine if you care about more than wins and losses, but don't take such a talented player down with you and basically just ride him for your own gain. They all deserve to lose their jobs.

Members online

Latest posts