1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

How McCarthy handles mistakes will define him

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Zero2Cool, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8

2. packedhouse01

packedhouse01 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Ex-Packers coach Ray Rhodes spent the 1999 season like a dog chasing its tail. He would put out one fire, only to have another flare up. It was one "step forward, one step back and an 8-8 record. Ultimately, it became a huge bonfire — Rhodes' firing.

Rhodes' successor, Mike Sherman, was superior in that regard. When Sherman got something fixed, it usually stayed fixed. It enabled him to pile up wins, and winning streaks.

What Sherman lacked was that certain something that transforms a very good team into a special team. Mike Holmgren has it. Sherman doesn't. It is what makes Sherman an exceptional first lieutenant but a very ordinary general."

He hit it right on the head with this column. As much as I liked Mike Sherman as a person the one thing he coulnd't do whas transform a very good team into a special team. Part of that was not having enough talent in all positions to be special. I wonder what he could have been like as a head coach if he weren't the general manager. I suspect however as Havel said that he is an exception first lieutenant and just an ordinary general.

McCathy's legacy is still being written and I couldn't agree more that his legarcy will be determined by his ablity to fix things from week to week and make the talent he has better.