How do we expect marshawn lynch to fall to 16???

showstopper4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt he falls with Buffalo picking before us. Theres no question that buffalo is looking for a back too, and he's number two on everyones board. If he's gone we're screwed...i dont like the backs coming out this year at all, except for marshawn anyways. I think marshawn's gonna turn out to be better then peterson.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Well the theory would have to be the Browns passing on Peterson and then the Bills drafting him in their slot. But with some draft day trades... who really knows.

IMO - I think Lynch is the best back in the draft overall, better then Peterson. AP can't seem to stay healthy.

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are some issues regarding his durabillity, his abillity to take 30 snaps per game is questioned. Also his speed wasn't all that special and he isn't very shifty and isn't really a workhorse. He also has some attitude issues.

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Marshawn Lynch is not one of the 16 best players on my board.

I want Ted Ginn Jr.

maybe he can be our Devin Hester.

At RB I would like to draft Antonio Pittman or Michael Bush.

Pack93z

Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Pack93z, if that happens then what would be your thoughts on the Pack picking up AP if we were to trade up?
* ONLY MY OPINION*

I included a documented profile from NFL.com on here, but I am a football junkie and have been since about 9 or 10. Interned at UW-GB in 1992 for sports management, and got to visit the scouting department of the GB Packers. So I watch alot of football and tape a ton of games, call it an obsession... anywho... I AM NO EXPERT NOR CLAIM TO BE:)

Watched the Texas game last year and really wanted to see AP (to be honest, the only whole game I have watched of him) in action... I think he ran for like 120 yards or so... to me he looks to run awful high, and takes some hard licks... while I think he is a better natural runner than Lynch... he will not have the potential career Lynch could have. To me, I just see him (AP) as a weekly Injury blotter. Would I pass on AP if he is there at 16, NO, would I move up to get him and give up more picks or players to get him, NO i would not.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/peterson_adrian

Positives: Has a thick, defined chest, shoulders and arms, a tight waist, good bubble, thick thighs and calves with room on his frame to add more bulk … Possesses impressive strength, outstanding balance and quickness with that uncanny vision and awareness to quickly find the holes … Has the hip snap to easily change direction and shift gears, generating a sudden burst out of his cuts … His feet and body control enable him to pick his way through trash, and he keeps his feet after contact … Has the loose hips to make the initial tackler miss and is very good at anticipating the opponent's moves (gained 71 percent of his yardage after initial contact) … Excellent block reader who immediately sees the hole develop, and it is rare to see him makes his cuts too early … Tough runner who is very hard to bring down once he builds to top speed … Likes to lower his head and drive through with his legs after contact, but also has the agility to bounce off tackles and redirect rather than trying to overpower the opponent constantly (used to try to run over guys earlier in his career, but used cutback lanes more often in 2006) … His quick cutting skills mean he doesn't have to gear down to change direction … Can drop his pads and shift gears quickly, maintaining that burst through his cuts … Quick to attack the inside holes and has the acceleration to separate once he clears the trash … Has that natural feel for the holes, quickly anticipating the opening … Has also shown the patience to set up and use his blockers … Started running with pitter-patter steps in 2006, as it allowed him to maintain body control to slide through the holes … Shifts gears naturally and can make crisp cuts to turn and head up field … When he keeps his pads low, he punishes the defender and can move the pile … Has the balance to stay up on his feet after contact and will lower his head or bounce off tackles to compete for extra yardage … His strength is evident when he sticks his hat into the defender, and he has also developed into a decent cut blocker, showing effectiveness to face up and stone when working in space … His deceptive leg thrusts lets him bounce off the opponent while maintaining top speed … Has good lateral quickness and fluid pick-and-slide agility.

Negatives: Looks natural running with the ball in his hands, but needs to be more conscious of protecting it, as most of his 17 fumbles came after he hit the ground … Has a lot of Eddie George in him, as he seems to be too ***** in his stride taking the ball up the middle, but he has the lower leg strength to break tackles and is effective at lowering his shoulder to move the pile … Will sometimes revert to trying to run over the opponent, but considering his two bad shoulders and chronic ankle problems, he is better served trying to escape rather than overpower … Even when running at full speed, he knows how to use his blockers, but ball security rears its ugly head when he fails to square up on contact … Shows the make-you-miss burst in the open, but will sometimes take a side … Has very good balance and runs with powerful strides, but loses his power base at times when he gets too upright in his stance … Needs route refinement, as he has the quickness to separate underneath, but it was rare to see him run intermediate or long patterns … Needs to do a better job of eyeing the ball on pitch-outs … Seems to let the ball get into his body too much and will double catch it (just an adequate safety valve working underneath).

Compares To: Deuce McAllister, New Orleans … McAllister is a much better receiver, but both are blessed with exceptional size and speed. Peterson is a punishing runner, but might be best served trying to avoid defenders rather than overpower them, considering that he has had several big injuries that have affected his play. He runs more like Eddie George between the tackles, getting too tall in his stance, but with his lower body power it is evident he can break tackles, gaining 71 percentage of his yardage after initial contact.

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
however it is important to point out that I wouldn't be directly unhappy if we signed Mr. Lynch either, I believe he can be a number 1 guy but there are some issues and elements of uncertainty that would make some teams pass on the guy.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peterson will be a top 10 pick. It’s just a matter of what team he ends up on but he’s a top 10 pick. Peterson could still go the Browns at #3. Jamal Lewis signed for one year so long term the Browns have a lot of problem in their backfield. AP would likely not fall past the Texans at 8. Ahman Green is 30. Most of the contract was frontloaded so he’ll probably be released in two seasons anyways or he’ll retire. Peterson probably doesn’t fall past the Texans and Houston could do so much with Peterson. Kick returning being one of them and splitting carries with Green.

Lynch could fall to the Pack. He's not an elite prospect and most scouts give him a mid 1st round grade similar to Laurence Maroney from a year ago. If the Bills trade up for Peterson then I believe it's a given that Lynch falls to the Packers unless the Titans or Giants move up in front of Green Bay to take him.

If the Bills don't move up for Peterson then they will likely sit with a lot of options come pick #12. Amobi Okoye would be an ideal fit for their system and has more potential than any player in the Draft in a lot people's minds. He'd be tough to pass. Levi Brown would likely put the icing on the cake for their offensive line this year and is an upgrade. Leon Hall replaces Nate Clements who departed for free agency. Hall, Brown, and Okoye are likely rated higher on most boards than Lynch. The Bills could look at either one of those guys instead of a RB. They can look at Michael Bush and Tony Hunt in round 2 if they have too both who fit the style that **** Jauron wants to run.

With this said I have them going with Lynch right now at pick #12 and both Brown and Okoye are on the board. If Leon Hall falls to them then I think he is their selection ahead of Lynch. However Hall has a good chance of going in the top 10 to either the Vikings, Dolphins, or Falcons. He should be gone. So many scenarios can play out and likely will play out. Lynch is far from a sure thing at #16 but he’s also far from being a long shot too.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Porky....

I would enjoy hearing your breakdown between AP and Lynch... see where what you see from what I see with them are different... Basically why AP over Lynch?

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Porky....

I would enjoy hearing your breakdown between AP and Lynch... see where what you see from what I see with him are different... Basically why AP over Lynch?

Peterson is bigger and faster. Peterson stands at about 6’1’ 218 and he ran the 40 yard dash in 4.38 seconds. Lynch is 5’11” 215 and runs a 4.45 40 yard dash. That is a very big difference in the 40. So Peterson is quicker and bigger than Lynch. That’s a definite plus for him. Obviously shown by these numbers he has tremendous breakaway speed.

Peterson runs harder than Lynch. He‘s much more powerful. His combination of size and speed matches that of any prospect to possibly come out this decade. At least that I can think of off the top of my head. Peterson really isn’t injury prone as most think. He‘s not say Fred Taylor. It’s his style that gets him hurt. If you watch him play or look at the way he got hurt, you’ll see that he just uses his combination of speed and power against defenders. He really puts himself out there because of that and he does run high so he’ll take a few hits too. With that said I wouldn’t count that as big negative. Some of his critics put to much emphasis on that in my opinion but it’s certainly something that is worth noting.

Peterson shows better patience. He’ll wait for the hole to open up if he has to and he has a quick burst when he hit’s the hole. His one drawback was his receiving and at the Oklahoma pro day he looked as good as any receiver out there. He has good hands which is important. So he could be a very dangerous weapon in the flats as well. Based on all of this Peterson has a lot of upside and more than Lynch in a lot of people’s minds including mine.

As for Lynch. He is a better receiver that Peterson. While Peterson is a good receiver, Lynch is a great receiver. He runs good routes. He has soft hands and he’s quick after he makes the catch. One thing Lynch has over Peterson is intangibles. That’s something that you can’t really teach. That’s what A.J. Hawk was praised for a year ago. I think both can be Pro Bowl level players but I probably wouldn’t put Lynch in the class that I’d put Peterson in. I think you can put Peterson in the class or a Ronnie Brown and Carnell Williams when they came out. Both top 5 picks. Where as Lynch would probably fit more into the class of Laurence Maroney and DeAngelo Williams when they came out. Both mid to late 1st round picks.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even if he was on the board at 16 would the Packers select him?
That is not as natural a choice as many would think.

Sorry, but if "All Day" falls to 16, the Packers ARE naturally going to draft him.

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack93z said:
Porky....

I would enjoy hearing your breakdown between AP and Lynch... see where what you see from what I see with him are different... Basically why AP over Lynch?

Peterson is bigger and faster. Peterson stands at about 6’1’ 218 and he ran the 40 yard dash in 4.38 seconds. Lynch is 5’11” 215 and runs a 4.45 40 yard dash. That is a very big difference in the 40. So Peterson is quicker and bigger than Lynch. That’s a definite plus for him. Obviously shown by these numbers he has tremendous breakaway speed.

Peterson runs harder than Lynch. He‘s much more powerful. His combination of size and speed matches that of any prospect to possibly come out this decade. At least that I can think of off the top of my head. Peterson really isn’t injury prone as most think. He‘s not say Fred Taylor. It’s his style that gets him hurt. If you watch him play or look at the way he got hurt, you’ll see that he just uses his combination of speed and power against defenders. He really puts himself out there because of that and he does run high so he’ll take a few hits too. With that said I wouldn’t count that as big negative. Some of his critics put to much emphasis on that in my opinion but it’s certainly something that is worth noting.

Peterson shows better patience. He’ll wait for the hole to open up if he has to and he has a quick burst when he hit’s the hole. His one drawback was his receiving and at the Oklahoma pro day he looked as good as any receiver out there. He has good hands which is important. So he could be a very dangerous weapon in the flats as well. Based on all of this Peterson has a lot of upside and more than Lynch in a lot of people’s minds including mine.

As for Lynch. He is a better receiver that Peterson. While Peterson is a good receiver, Lynch is a great receiver. He runs good routes. He has soft hands and he’s quick after he makes the catch. One thing Lynch has over Peterson is intangibles. That’s something that you can’t really teach. That’s what A.J. Hawk was praised for a year ago. I think both can be Pro Bowl level players but I probably wouldn’t put Lynch in the class that I’d put Peterson in. I think you can put Peterson in the class or a Ronnie Brown and Carnell Williams when they came out. Both top 5 picks. Where as Lynch would probably fit more into the class of Laurence Maroney and DeAngelo Williams when they came out. Both mid to late 1st round picks.

The only concern I have with Adrian Peterson is his upright style and that he has had so many carries in college. Almost the double of any other back in the draft.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Pack93z said:
Porky....

I see Marshawn Lynch as a better size and speed combination as too Peterson. Shorter and more compact, build in the mold of Emmitt Smith and uses all of his skill all the time. He hits the hole fast and like a hammer, and is very hard to bring down when he hits his stride. Lynch has a quick and hard burst, and seems to be easily able to see cutback lanes as they form. He shows soft hands out of the backfield, and having him as an outlet option will endear him to Brett and or our future QB.

Lynch tries to hit a homerun too often, cutting to the outside when the better and smarter run is between the tackles. He doesn't stay with lead or pull blockers (not real important in the Zone scheme) very well at all which he will need to temper, and needs to show a higher degree of patience on many plays. He's also had some lingering and recurring hand and arm injuries, but legs and knees have been solid. Better blocker than AP but still short of someone ready to protect Bretts blindside.

Peterson is 3 inches taller and the same weight, longer body and doesn't seem to have the balance that Lynch possesses. Peterson can be an absolute workhorse, the rare kind of back who has the ability to take an offense on his back and carry it. His talent is undeniable, with the ability to lower his shoulder and punish a defender, or to turn his feet and dash around one. Almost unparalleled vision, and runs hard all over the field, then harder near the end zone.

Peterson does have some rough spots. He's missed a lot of time with shoulder and ankle issues, particularly a high ankle sprain that keeps seeming to pop up. Between that and how hard Oklahoma used him, there is concern that he may not last long in the NFL. This is my major concern with him, and the reason I have his stock dropped below Lynch. Can you say Billy Sims. Honestly his skills as a receiver out of the backfield are a work-in-progress at best (however, he was never asked to be a reciever with Thompson as QB last year), and his blocking ability can be pretty laughable at times. No where near ready to pick up a blitz.

IMO - I would draft Lynch ahead of Peterson on long term production and value of the pick. Straight up on ability and potential, they are closer than you Porky have projected in my opinion, but that edge would go to Peterson. These are two really good backs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agiNBv_cl5o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxwFmss2EwA

AP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP5RgOy5fjA&mode=related&search=

Pack93z

Reaction score
1. Who's better, Marshawn Lynch or Adrian Peterson?

Adrian Peterson is an explosive and dynamic runner with outstanding speed and quickness. The former Oklahoma star is a talented workhorse who will invigorate any offense with his big-play ability, but Lynch's versatility and overall ability make him ideally suited to play the pro game. As a natural cutback runner with excellent speed, quickness and vision, he has a slippery running style that allows him to consistently pick up tough yards between the tackles.

In addition to being an outstanding runner, he is a polished route runner who has the hands to be used effectively in the passing game. With the majority of NFL teams incorporating parts of the West Coast offense, Marshawn's overall skills will allow him to have a bigger impact on the next level.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/bucky_brooks/03/15/great.debates/index.html

I haven't found many that agree with me, so I am posting what I can, LOL!

Latest posts