How do we continue to build this team?

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For me it comes down to this, do you try and make a run for the Super Bowl thinking in a one year context, or do we continue to build the team for the long term?

One option is to try to get another year with O-line we have, thus retaining Clifton and Tauscher and drafting some promising players in the later rounds and picking up players in the free agency/practice squads. This would allow TT to go after other positions that are deeper in the free agency market and use our draft on the best player available at some of the skill positions that would also help our Special Teams/defense.

This approach is addressing the defense/special teams, our offense even with the bad O-line can generate on average 24 points a game. With a improve special teams/defensive play the Packers would be in a better position to win next year.

The other option is to build this team and get all 3 phases of the game offense/defense/special teams core solid for years to come, with better chances of making a legit run in 1-3 years.

Part of me says that older players like Woodson and Driver may not be the players they are today 2 or 3 years from now and Grant will be pushing 30 years old.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Cardsmc25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im sick of building for the damn future. the future is now lets win

Couldn't agree with you more. I am done with that. It is the future now. I think the defense is a draft away. That ILB platoon is not good in this scheme. I don't know if either Hawk or Barnett have any trade potential but it needs to be explored.

I believe that the offense is in fact a player a way from being GREAT. The Packers have a top shelf offense that can hang points. It is time to make some changes. Trade those ILB's and possibly James Jones or Nelson... lets get an offensive tackle! Draft some impact players for defense and special teams. Late in the draft grab some sleeper O-linemen to develop. The Packers are a trade and a draft away from being Super Bowl champs... I believe that to my core.

monkeyracer43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is one of the youngest teams in the league, and it showed many times with all of the unforced errors that were committed (penalties, penalties, and more penalties). This season has been a good learning experience for the team. Next year I predict they clean up many of those stupid mistakes. That alone should get us one at least one more win. Since the core guys are young, and many under contract for a while, this group should be in contention for championships for the next few years.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I would love to pick up a couple proven offensive linemen and a proven corner and make a run this year, but that doesn't really mesh with what Thompson does.

It always feels to me like Thompson is constantly in rebuilding mode, and it's frustrating because we're only a couple players away from really contending.

The PowerOfCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Go for it. I would love some of the older guys (Driver) to get a SB win. And winning next year will be sweet cuz then I can rub it in all the queens fans faces around here about how they lost to the Saints just one game away and then the Pack won it all just a year later!! *sigh* That would be great.

Green_Bay_Packers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Go for it. I would love some of the older guys (Driver) to get a SB win. And winning next year will be sweet cuz then I can rub it in all the queens fans faces around here about how they lost to the Saints just one game away and then the Pack won it all just a year later!! *sigh* That would be great.

Yeah that does sound like fun

We just need a few more players to achieve this.

Rodgers going 2-0 vs Favre next year because he hasnt retired lol!

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey dilli ur gonna hate mel kiper. He's picking us to pass up an OT for taylor mays.

The Coordinator

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This approach is addressing the defense/special teams, our offense even with the bad O-line can generate on average 24 points a game. With a improve special teams/defensive play the Packers would be in a better position to win next year.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I would like to see more beef up front on the defensive side of the ball. We were really good against the weaker teams but against the better teams Jenkins seemed to fade. Having someone like FA's Woolfork from NE or Seymore from Oakland would help or linebackers find the gaps. Dont think TT will open up the wallet but I can always dream.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im sick of building for the damn future. the future is now lets win

Future is now. This team is complete and having that lapse they did will only make that more prevalent. The O Line should be better next season, maybe through draft. That guy from Iowa who is a Jr. declared and he could fall into GB's lap and be a starter. They will get depth in the secondary. Maybe another DL. Bottom line is this team is ready to do it now, the pieces are all set. Now it is about fortification. I think this season GB will be menacing, possibly this year's Colts or the new Saints of the NFC. It is theirs to lose, I guess we will find out in 9 months.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to see more beef up front on the defensive side of the ball. We were really good against the weaker teams but against the better teams Jenkins seemed to fade. Having someone like FA's Woolfork from NE or Seymore from Oakland would help or linebackers find the gaps. Dont think TT will open up the wallet but I can always dream.

Both of those players are actually getting up there in age and on the decline. It wouldn't be worth pursuing them now.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Both of those players are actually getting up there in age and on the decline. It wouldn't be worth pursuing them now.
Wilfork's only 28. That's not that bad.

I'm starting up this talk again for the second consecutive offseason:
I WANT JULIUS PEPPERS.

gute

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are so close that I would think that we will probably be a favorite for the Super Bowl next year. All in all we are in great shape and with a few tweaks here and there should put us over the top. I think TT's way of doing things is paying off. I for one was glad that TT did not go crazy in free agency last year because I did not think the players were there to get us to the SB. We have some great young players with a good mix of older ones and that seems to be a winning combination. Free agency is up in the air this year due to the CBA. I for one do not see an agreement coming about. Obviously OT is a need, but who? Tampa has OTs, but they have a lot of cap space and I would think would re-sign their guys to keep Freeman upright. SD should re-sign McNeil because if they do not they will having a glaring need at LT. Matt Light will be a FA so he is an option, but is he a betetr option then Clifton? Let's stay with Clifton and Tauscher and add an OT in the draft - someone like Safford who seems to have played well in the East-West Shrine game and will most likely go somewhere late 2nd to 3rd round. I would not be suprised if he is our pick at number 56.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are so close that I would think that we will probably be a favorite for the Super Bowl next year. All in all we are in great shape and with a few tweaks here and there should put us over the top. I think TT's way of doing things is paying off. I for one was glad that TT did not go crazy in free agency last year because I did not think the players were there to get us to the SB. We have some great young players with a good mix of older ones and that seems to be a winning combination. Free agency is up in the air this year due to the CBA. I for one do not see an agreement coming about. Obviously OT is a need, but who? Tampa has OTs, but they have a lot of cap space and I would think would re-sign their guys to keep Freeman upright. SD should re-sign McNeil because if they do not they will having a glaring need at LT. Matt Light will be a FA so he is an option, but is he a betetr option then Clifton? Let's stay with Clifton and Tauscher and add an OT in the draft - someone like Safford who seems to have played well in the East-West Shrine game and will most likely go somewhere late 2nd to 3rd round. I would not be suprised if he is our pick at number 56.

I will let Thompson know.

Members online

Latest posts