HOF Senior Selection Committee Meets Wednesday; Kramer On The List?

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Pro Football Hall of Fame's Senior Selection Committee meets Wednesday, and presumably they will release the list of the fifteen Senior nominee finalists. Look for Kramer to be on the list.
Here's a related story on the voting: http://www.krem.com/news/local/Inside-look-at-Jerry-Kramers-Hall-of-Fame-vote-166559546.html

In addition, look for Dave Robinson to be on the list as well.

I predict Kramer becomes one of the two Senior finalists off that list, and that Kramer makes it in next year.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard this year there will be a push for him, more so than any other year in recent memory.

So I expect the same.

Still no love for Dilweg though, the most deserving of the Packers who arent in the HOF.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I only hope he gets in the Hall before he passes away. Great, great player.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Kramer says it was Bowman who did the dirty work, for what it's worth.
True, but if you look at body of work and the fact that it was the single most important moment in NFL history you have to kind of side with the guy as an all=time instrumental player who formed the league.
If Kramer had been an average player I think this entire conversation would be ridiculous, the play, not the player would be HOF worthy. But Jerry Kramer was a stalwart on that team and an exceptional player. His stats alone argue for his induction.
In case you didn't notice.... I'm a fan of his.
It is quite simply the greatest travesty of the HOF committee. I'm hoping they correct it this year.

H

HardRightEdge

Who made the most famous block in NFL History??? Ken Bowman Instant reply? Why not go over Bowman and Gale?

I'm just repeating what Kramer said. According to Kramer's account, he asked Bowman if he, Kramer, could take the credit since he, Kramer, was at the end of his career and Bowman was just getting started. Since Kramer was never much for self-effacement, I have little doubt it was true, and Bowman has corroborated that tale with sad regret.

To refresh your memory, go to the 8:50 mark in the following link...Starr did not run behind Kramer...he ran the gap between Bowman and Kramer.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

This is not a judgement of whether Kramer should or should not be in the Hall of Fame. The point is that no single play gets you in. If that were the case Howard Green will be going into the Packer Hall of Fame.

You make an interesting point about Gillingham...in ten seasons he was a 5-time Pro Bowler and first or second team All-Pro 6 times despite getting shifted to D-line one season and getting his knee wrecked thanks to the brilliance of Dan Devine. He was generally regarded as one of the best guards in the league in that era, despite playing most of his career with the post-Lombardi teams. He should be given some consideration.

H

HardRightEdge

True, but if you look at body of work and the fact that it was the single most important moment in NFL history you have to kind of side with the guy as an all=time instrumental player who formed the league.
If Kramer had been an average player I think this entire conversation would be ridiculous, the play, not the player would be HOF worthy. But Jerry Kramer was a stalwart on that team and an exceptional player. His stats alone argue for his induction.
In case you didn't notice.... I'm a fan of his.
It is quite simply the greatest travesty of the HOF committee. I'm hoping they correct it this year.

To say Kramer should get consideration is certainly fair. To say he was an "all-time instrumental player who formed the league" is a bit much.

And to belabor the point...even if it was "the single most important play in NFL history", which is debatable, Kramer himself says he's not the responsible party, and I have no reason to doubt him.

This was the greatest play in Packer history. In NFL history, you've got "The Catch" and the "Immaculate Reception" to start with. But you really need to put it up against Alan Ameche's 1 yard TD run in overtime in "The Greatest Game Ever Played", the 1958 Championship. This game is generally considered the launching point of the TV era and mass popularity of the pro game.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are a dozen players that have never had their case heard as many times as Kramer and have better or as good resumes.

Always nice having another Packer in. It irks me that the Bears have more.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
True Ivo, but the best explanation remains that there are too many Packers from those teams. Regardless, nobody can argue his contribution to the game and it remains a bit of a mystery to me.
The very fact that so many people argue the case suggests that more people are looking at the numbers differently than other candidates. The HOF is for the fans, if the fans perceive him as eligible doesn't that suggest he should be there? Fans want to see who they want to see regardless of numbers.
Jerry Kramer is worthy and you know that. A guard kicking field goals, really?
What I find surprising is that you have such a monstrous love for the voters. Aren't they all writers and so on?

H

HardRightEdge

There are a lot of worthy guys who have been overlooked for long periods.

It took 35 years before they put Bob Hayes in, for gosh sakes, and he didn't live to see it. Stabler is still waiting. Derrick Thomas should have been first ballot after he died, but they waited 9 years on him.

Chris Carter and Andre Reed are twiddling their thumbs...they should get in eventually...but should Willie Roaf go in front of Carter..."all he did was catch touchdowns."

There's a lot of strange thinking and biases that goes into this process.

D

Dan115

I'm just repeating what Kramer said. According to Kramer's account, he asked Bowman if he, Kramer, could take the credit since he, Kramer, was at the end of his career and Bowman was just getting started. Since Kramer was never much for self-effacement, I have little doubt it was true, and Bowman has corroborated that tale with sad regret.

To refresh your memory, go to the 8:50 mark in the following link...Starr did not run behind Kramer...he ran the gap between Bowman and Kramer.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I was quoting NFL NETWORK ICE BOWL ---- Starr follows Kramer into the end zone. THe replay was just on a few days ago- again. Also to quote NFL NETWORK THe most famous BLOCK in NFL history.

This is not a judgement of whether Kramer should or should not be in the Hall of Fame. The point is that no single play gets you in. If that were the case Howard Green will be going into the Packer Hall of Fame.

You make an interesting point about Gillingham...in ten seasons he was a 5-time Pro Bowler and first or second team All-Pro 6 times despite getting shifted to D-line one season and getting his knee wrecked thanks to the brilliance of Dan Devine. He was generally regarded as one of the best guards in the league in that era, despite playing most of his career with the post-Lombardi teams. He should be given some consideration.

D

Dan115

The Packer dynasty of the 60's offensive bread and butter play was the power 49 sweep led by the two pulling guards Thurston and #64. Starr,Hornung, and Taylor are already in the HOF.

OP
OP
gwh11

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like he is NOT on the list
I am surprised.
According to Rick Gosselin, Curley Culp and Dave Robinson will be the Senior Nominees. I haven't seen the "secret" list posted yet of 15 that they were chosen from (Kramer should've been on that list, and I knew Robinson was as well).

Robinson before Kramer?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts