Here we go again - Abbrederis is done

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I think Abbrederis would have made the team as well but it hasn't been that long since a fifth round pick hasn't made the Packers opening week roster (Jason Meredith in 2009).
True, but that was 5 drafts ago (not counting this year's) and Jamon Meredith is one of eight 5th rounders in those drafts that didn't make the opening day roster - pretty good odds. If it is an ACL, we'll never know but a smart WR (which Rodgers puts a great value on) drafted in the 5th round who had a great start to camp and was in line to return punts was very likely to make the team. Look again at the quote from jsonline, he played bigger and stronger than advertised - that was the knock on him which he was apparently overcoming.

D

Deleted member 6794

True, but that was 5 drafts ago (not counting this year's) and Jamon Meredith is one of eight 5th rounders in those drafts that didn't make the opening day roster - pretty good odds. If it is an ACL, we'll never know but a smart WR (which Rodgers puts a great value on) drafted in the 5th round who had a great start to camp and was in line to return punts was very likely to make the team. Look again at the quote from jsonline, he played bigger and stronger than advertised - that was the knock on him which he was apparently overcoming.

Totally agree with your take on Abbrederis.

I looked up the information about the last guy drafted by the Packers in the first five rounds not making the team just out of curiosity and thought I would share it with you.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
It's not the end of the world. We and every other NFL team has 4 preseason games to play. Each team is going to have guys getting injured. You just have to hope it's not your stars and first team players that fall victim. Opportunity knocks for the other camp WR's.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I never said he wouldn't make the team. I said he wasn't a lock by any means and IMO he was going to have to make the 53 by returning punts. I know everyone loves Abbrederis but I think he could use a year to get his body to "NFL Level". There was a reason he was hanging around in the 5th round after tying the all time badger reception record and back to back 1st team all conference honors.

Like I shared in my first post I don't think injuries are ever good but stashing him on the IR might turn out to be a win win.

Last edited:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I never said he wouldn't make the team. I said he wasn't a lock by any means and IMO he was going to have to make the 53 by returning punts well.
I think we've pretty much beaten this to death but just to be clear, you wrote:
I think he was on a one way ticket to practice squad. The only way he was going to make it was returning punts IMO.
A player has to be waived to make it onto the PS, so yes you did say he wouldn't make the team.

D

Deleted member 6794

Jeff Janis just tweeted that:

Wishing my buddy @abbrecadabra a fast recovery so next year we can ball out together! Minor setback for a major comeback.

Guess like Abbrederis is out for the season.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im very surprised to see people thinking he wasnt going to make the team

I would have been surprised if he made it because the kid just doesn't have an NFL body. He may have all the skills in the world, but he's built like a high school senior. IMO Janis is the more promising prospect.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This really stinks... I was really looking forward to watching him this year. I hate when this kind of stuff happens. I hope he recovers quickly and gets back on track soon.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I would have been surprised if he made it because the kid just doesn't have an NFL body. He may have all the skills in the world, but he's built like a high school senior. IMO Janis is the more promising prospect.

Yeah you gotta love everything Abbrederis has done but seeing Janis and him stand next to each other isn't even close.

D

Deleted member 6794

Abbrederis confirms he has a torn ACL.

@abbrecadabra: I know there has been a lot of talk going around about my injury. The acl injury was confirmed this morning and is only a small setback.

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Disappointed but he would have been probably the 5th receiver in a deep position. Red shirting him
probably isn't the worst thing so he can come back stronger next year.

For those of you who say he doesn't have an NFL ready body, there are plenty of receivers, etc. who
you would never guess play in the NFL if you met them. Wes Welker doesn't have alot of weight room
strength, but yet is one of the most productive receivers over the past 5 years.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Disappointed but he would have been probably the 5th receiver in a deep position. Red shirting him

For those of you who say he doesn't have an NFL ready body, there are plenty of receivers, etc. who
you would never guess play in the NFL if you met them. Wes Welker doesn't have alot of weight room
strength, but yet is one of the most productive receivers over the past 5 years.

The red shirting idea I think is the best thing for everyone.

OP
OP
PackMan13x

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't mean this was devastating for our team when I posted it. I'm just saying this feels too familiar as far as training camp goes and I'm praying the dominoes don't start falling. I didn't expect him to make much, if any impact this year, but it's unfortunate that he has to start his career with an injury that essentially sets him back a year. He will now pretty much be a rookie all over again next season rather than having a year of experience under his belt. That's just physically, though. He certainly can take this year as an opportunity to study and sharpen his mental game, learn defenses, terminology, etc. It's just unfortunate in general. I wish him the best.

OP
OP
PackMan13x

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also, I'm not sure what we will do with him, but look at how the Patriots just snagged up that injured RB from waivers. Nothing is guaranteed.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The opinions about Abbrederis' shortcomings and/or the pessimism concerning his roster chances are incredibly tactless in the context of a discussion about his season being over. Speaks volumes about those that lack the sense to just ****.

Either way, this diminishes the competition at WR, which sucks.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its really hard to be down about an injury when the player hasnt even step foot on an NFL field to play. Fact is, we dont even know if he was going to make the team, much less contribute this year. If he did make the team, he would have been the 5th or 6th WR on the depth chart. You are not going to see much play time with Cobb, Nelson and Boykin on our roster. Even then, in all likelihood Adams was going to see a lot more snaps than Abbrederis anyway. So yeah, if any rookie was going to see extensive play time, its going to be Adams. By all accounts, Adams has impressed some in camp so far.

While the injury sucks, its honestly a non-issue in the grand scheme of things. It will not change what we do or what we were going to do at all.

Now if this injury was to Cobb, Nelson or Boykin? Then we'll talk seriousness. But it wasnt. Its an injury to a player that was fighting for his life for a roster spot. Nothing was set in stone for Abbrederis. He was trying to earn a spot on the Packers roster and that wasnt a sure thing.

And really, the sky is falling mentality needs to stop every time an injury happens to even the most borderline player like this. Other teams are having much more devastating injuries than we are right now. 49ers just lost their starting NT for the year.

Last edited:

Bignutz

I'm a victim of coicumstances!
Reaction score
The packers have an injury epidemic every year and you don't think the players and agents notice. That is obsurd to think no body notices when they have a choice of teams. The Packers have a systemic problem and it's getting worse

Every team has injuries. I don't think we have that many more than others do. Anyone have any data on this?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, it sucks for Abby. I feel for him.

But for the team, it's not the end of the world. It might prevent us from having to make a difficult decision on cut day. It opens the door for the very talented Janis to make the team, or perhaps a dark horse like White. And it gives Abbrederis a year to learn the playbook and he can start fresh hopefully in time for OTA's next year.
So you work in the Packers office?
What, if anything, do you have to do with decisions on who to cut or not?

I bet your one of those types who would say, "We are building a house," when you didn't even lift a hammer to get it done.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe one of the reasons why the Packers have such a hard time ever signing free agents is their reputation for injuries. Why make a choice to come to Green Bay only to face an elevated injury riskWe like to blame TT for not signing free agents maybe a lot of agents are consulting their clients to stay clear of the injury curse.
Speculation is nothing but 110% BS.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whatever.
This stuff happens in a game which gives the body more impact and hard hits over and over again than it is designed for.
Get used to it.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Its really hard to be down about an injury when the player hasnt even step foot on an NFL field to play. Fact is, we dont even know if he was going to make the team, much less contribute this year. If he did make the team, he would have been the 5th or 6th WR on the depth chart. You are not going to see much play time with Cobb, Nelson and Boykin on our roster. Even then, in all likelihood Adams was going to see a lot more snaps than Abbrederis anyway. So yeah, if any rookie was going to see extensive play time, its going to be Adams. By all accounts, Adams has impressed some in camp so far.

While the injury sucks, its honestly a non-issue in the grand scheme of things. It will not change what we do or what we were going to do at all.

Now if this injury was to Cobb, Nelson or Boykin? Then we'll talk seriousness. But it wasnt. Its an injury to a player that was fighting for his life for a roster spot. Nothing was set in stone for Abbrederis. He was trying to earn a spot on the Packers roster and that wasnt a sure thing.

And really, the sky is falling mentality needs to stop every time an injury happens to even the most borderline player like this. Other teams are having much more devastating injuries than we are right now. 49ers just lost their starting NT for the year.

Exactly. The Seahawks have already lost two guys for the season that they expected to contribute NOW. Plus they have a bunch of guys that are trying to get healthy.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you work in the Packers office?
What, if anything, do you have to do with decisions on who to cut or not?

I bet your one of those types who would say, "We are building a house," when you didn't even lift a hammer to get it done.

Really attacking a guy for using "us" when referring to the Packers? Fans use "us" or "we" all the time when referring to their team. No big deal.

In no way was adambr2 trying to say he is actually involved with the team.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This is probably actually a good thing for him in the long run because it gives him ample time to beef up for the future that he might not have otherwise had. That said, I don't think probably would have applied to the 5th WR spot for him. It would have been a fight between him, Janis and White. I think Janis's measurables gives him a head up.

I don't think that's a valid comparison. If you look at Welker, he's got some beef on his bones. There's a big difference physique-wise between 6'1" 195lbs and 5'9" 185lbs. Abbrederis has one of the lowest pound per inch in the NFL. He really needs to add 10-15 pounds of muscle to consistently take an NFL pounding. And of course he probably already knows that. When I look at him he just kind of looks to me to have a medium-small bone structure.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, it sucks for Abby. I feel for him.

But for the team, it's not the end of the world. It might prevent us from having to make a difficult decision on cut day. It opens the door for the very talented Janis to make the team,

I'm fairly certain that door was already open anyway. I haven't seen anything to indicate that Abbrederis had established himself as a prohibitive favorite over Janis to this point.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts