1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

hawkins

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by LOREN, Apr 24, 2005.

1. LOREN

LOREN Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    who

espn shows 187 defensive backs on their list and of course this guy isnt one of them

even the packer web site has no info on him

wouldnt he be avaible for a bus ticket on monday, as a free agent, and darn happy for the chance

great job again by the packers front office in picking a complete stretch far ahead of his time, and in this case, except for his family, no one knows hes even avaible for the draft

since the absolute gift at 24, teddy has proved to be another shreman----

2. sixone220

sixone220 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    well said

3. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    This will be a interesting season.

4. HatestheEagles084

HatestheEagles084 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    does anyone know what years thompson ran the show in seattle? i want to see his drafts...they can't be that bad or we wouldnt have hired him

hawkins is from the arena league which, wow, competition factor...i've seen him projected in the 7th round on some websites...not a good pick, brandon browner from oregon state still out there. but still, this team doesn't need cornerbacks

5. LOREN

LOREN Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    teddy ran the seattle draft from 2000-2004---according to the packers bio on him, they gave all sorts of stats---but i though tfat mike ran was gm for all but one season????

and seattle has has a 500 record ever since fat mike waddled in to town

they have spent lots of money and got very little results

teddy was vp from 2000-2004, so says the packers site

so no, he hasnt shown much in seattle

and after pick 24, he showed me zero last weekend.

the packers had the great fortune to have all sorts of good quality players drop to their picks, and of course he wiffed on all but number 24

6. uwbadger12000

uwbadger12000 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    You have to let it play out. Did you hear of guys like Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila or Donald Driver when they were drafted?

7. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8

I SURE DID I HAD THEM HIGH MY MOCK DRAFT!!!!

/sarcasm

8. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Never seen that tag before? What version of html is that? :)

9. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8

That would be a .sV speciality tag :)

10. slackerbacker

slackerbacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Loren, you're are spot on. Why not take a consensus pick and bring this guy in on Monday or Tues? I can live w/ it in the 5th rd, but the 2nd and 3rds were just off the chart.

11. spaulding

spaulding Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The reason for not bringing Browner in is he was slower that s---. He went undrafted. According to what I've heard, this pick was all Alonzo Highsmith. While svouting at OK he was told that Hawkins was the best athlete in the Stoops era and that the reason he washed out there was he grew up in an abusive family and his position coach at OK was a screamer. Apparently he had enough. The kid's raw but fit's what the pack wanted in their secondary--sub 4.4 and athletic

12. arrowgargantuan

arrowgargantuan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    hows it goin spaulding...this guy is well informed right here^^^^

i've seen spaulding school plenty over at packernews.

nice to see you drop by guy.

13. spaulding

spaulding Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like I'll be sticking around a while. When that boards actually up there's not much to talk about apparently.

14. IPBprez

IPBprez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    Can someone post the BIO sheet on this guy...
    I'm curious as to his jumping ability - how high up can he leap?

15. spaulding

spaulding Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
  16. spaulding

spaulding Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Hawkins had 2 picks in the minicamp, including 1 in an red zone drill. Harris and "Bad Touch" Carroll isn't there for personal reasons, so it appears Thomas and Hawkins are lighting it up.

http://packers.com/news/stories/2005/04/30/1/

17. wils0646

wils0646 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Yea, this guy is very, very raw, but has a very high potential. I know everyone here wants something to happen now, but this guy could turn out to be a star if he works on his skills. Here is what Cliff Cristl from JSOnline said in his "mini-camp" reports about Hawkins:

Minicamp Report - Day 4

Rookie cornerback Mike Hawkins made what I call "a wow play," a play that's so impressive it takes you aback, in the morning practice. During a defensive team drill, he streaked in front of the receiver and intercepted an Aaron Rodgers pass along the sideline of the end zone. Even cornerbacks coach Lionel Washington, who played 15 years in the NFL, said the play had him saying, 'Wow!' to himself. "He has such great explosiveness," said Washington. "When he comes out of his cuts, he comes out with speed and explosion. It'll make you turn your head once or twice." Hawkins returned to practice after limping off late Friday.

He's definitely a project, but we'll never know his potential if we don't give him a chance.

18. IPBprez

IPBprez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    Carroll better get back to Lambeau real quick, der eh?

19. spaulding

spaulding Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    from jsonline.com

"Open competition: Even though first-round pick Ahmad Carroll is considered the incumbent, fellow second-year player Joey Thomas said he was told it's an open competition for the left cornerback spot.

The one who gets the job might be the guy who plays the best bump-and-run coverage, because that's what defensive coordinator Jim Bates requires of his cornerbacks. Thomas, a third-round pick last year, is hopeful he'll get a fair opportunity.

"That's what I've heard," Thomas said of an open competition. "That's what they've said and what I'll believe until proven otherwise."

Asked if he expected to be the starter in September, Thomas said, "Of course, any competitor would tell you that. If I don't feel that way, why are you out there? But I have to make it happen."