Hawk over Davis

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So far, no matter what the media told us beforehand, the pick of A.J. over Vernon Davis looks very good.

Davis now will miss four weeks with a broken leg. A story on ESPN reads, "Davis scored the first time he touched the ball in a regular-season game, but has just five catches for 37 yards and that one touchdown this season -- all coming in the season opener at Arizona. He failed to make a catch against St. Louis or Philadelphia in the last two weeks, missing two catchable balls when he attempted acrobatic one-handed grabs."

I'm glad we have Hawk and Jennings.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Definitly. Seems a lot safer to pick defensive guys in the early rounds of the draft..Seems like defense is easier for college guys to adjust to.

YERCELL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IDC if he broke his leg or not, Hawk's a better pick than Davis. Maybe not a better football player, but a better pick.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually like Vernon Davis a lot....but sure am glad the Pack took Hawk

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dont you think that with Favre coming back for 1-2 more years, V Davis would look pretty good? I thought they should have tried to get another weapon for Brett, but maybe in the long run Hawk was the better pick.

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still like Davis a lot, but Hawk makes too much sense for the Packers to pass on him. He's a perfect fit.

Davis could (and probably will) turn out to be an absolute stud, but I think Hawk helps the Packers more.

C-Mize

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am so glad we took Hawk over Vernon Davis. As much as I like Vernon, and he is an athletic freak and will be a top tight end in this league. Even though the TE is becoming more and more important in today's game, I still think its a luxury (and top 5 picks shouldnt be used on luxuries). Whereas a top LB is a necessity, and thats what we got, a pillar for our defense and it filled a need which was another plus. But it would of been sweet to see the ,best ever->Brett Favre and Vernon Davis hook up for amazing plays that only an athlete like Davis can do.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I wanted Davis for Favre and I'm glad I didn't get what I wanted lol ... Hawk is a beast. I love watching him finish a tackle!!

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought that Hawk was the obvious pick for the Packers, and I'm glad that this was one of those rare occasions where Ted Thompson did the obvious thing.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
I wanted Davis for Favre and I'm glad I didn't get what I wanted lol ... Hawk is a beast. I love watching him finish a tackle!!

Same with me Zero. I felt if Vince Young was there you take him over AJ Hawk as well. Hawk was probably the best pick for us but I wanted someone who could make an impact not only on the team but in the NFL and at his position as well. Hawk actually looks like that. I've never seen a LB play sideline to sideline as good as Hawk. He is great at containing the explosive players like Bush, Jones, and Vick. Hopefully now Westbrook.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
Zero2Cool said:

Same with me Zero. I felt if Vince Young was there you take him over AJ Hawk as well. Hawk was probably the best pick for us but I wanted someone who could make an impact not only on the team but in the NFL and at his position as well. Hawk actually looks like that. I've never seen a LB play sideline to sideline as good as Hawk. He is great at containing the explosive players like Bush, Jones, and Vick. Hopefully now Westbrook.

Young are you kidding me? Wow we are on complete opposite spectrums of that particular player. I would have started my own firetedthompson website if we had drafted vince young.

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
C-Mize said:
I am so glad we took Hawk over Vernon Davis. As much as I like Vernon, and he is an athletic freak and will be a top tight end in this league. Even though the TE is becoming more and more important in today's game, I still think its a luxury (and top 5 picks shouldnt be used on luxuries). Whereas a top LB is a necessity, and thats what we got, a pillar for our defense and it filled a need which was another plus. But it would of been sweet to see the ,best ever->Brett Favre and Vernon Davis hook up for amazing plays that only an athlete like Davis can do.

I like Vernon Davis as well. He is a beast and will probably become one of the top TEs in the league barring injury. A Tight End is important, however as you mentioned, it is a luxury. We already had Bubba Franks who's also a hell of a TE when he's in shape. Also we had much more "critical" positions to fill than TE, it's like the position you draft with your first round pick when you got nothing else to take.

I'm glad we got AJ Hawk, I think he will become a great player for this team and he seems to have good attitudes as well. In addition to Hawk we got Greg Jennings in the second round, which up till now has shown great promise. Jennings has a huge upside and fits perfectly with our westcoast offense, and the thing about Jennings is that he's a religious guy with an excellent attitude, this means he will probably never ever become a Javon Walker or Terrell Owens problem.

Ted Thompson made several good picks in this draft, I think we should be pretty happy.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cory said:
porky88 said:
Zero2Cool said:

Young are you kidding me? Wow we are on complete opposite spectrums of that particular player. I would have started my own firetedthompson website if we had drafted vince young.

I'm not big on Aaron Rodgers and I think if your rebuilding it doesn't hurt in having two young QB's battle it out for the future and the loser gets traded.

Young's potential is more than any QB to ever enter draft possibly. He has a chance to revolutionize the position and I still feel that way. His upside out weighs Aaron Rodgers by a vast amount.

With that said I couldn't be happier with how AJ Hawk has played and I'm glad Ted Thompson didn't have to make that decision because and I'm just a messenger here…

from what I was told TT loved Vince Young and might've been his #2 player on the board behind Reggie Bush.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GakkofNorway said:
C-Mize said:

I like Vernon Davis as well. He is a beast and will probably become one of the top TEs in the league barring injury. A Tight End is important, however as you mentioned, it is a luxury. We already had Bubba Franks who's also a hell of a TE when he's in shape. Also we had much more "critical" positions to fill than TE, it's like the position you draft with your first round pick when you got nothing else to take.

I'm glad we got AJ Hawk, I think he will become a great player for this team and he seems to have good attitudes as well. In addition to Hawk we got Greg Jennings in the second round, which up till now has shown great promise. Jennings has a huge upside and fits perfectly with our westcoast offense, and the thing about Jennings is that he's a religious guy with an excellent attitude, this means he will probably never ever become a Javon Walker or Terrell Owens problem.

Ted Thompson made several good picks in this draft, I think we should be pretty happy.

I will, when these "Good Players" start racking up the W's.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
Cory said:
porky88 said:
Zero2Cool said:

I'm not big on Aaron Rodgers and I think if your rebuilding it doesn't hurt in having two young QB's battle it out for the future and the loser gets traded.

Young's potential is more than any QB to ever enter draft possibly. He has a chance to revolutionize the position and I still feel that way. His upside out weighs Aaron Rodgers by a vast amount.

With that said I couldn't be happier with how AJ Hawk has played and I'm glad Ted Thompson didn't have to make that decision because and I'm just a messenger here…

from what I was told TT loved Vince Young and might've been his #2 player on the board behind Reggie Bush.

I'm not completely sold on Rogers either, but would rather have lienart or culter. To me Vince is going to struggle big time. IMO, I don't think Young has the "equipment" upstairs to be an NFL QB and no I don't think that because of some wonderlic test. That's just my opinion, though and I hope he proves me wrong.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pyle, calm down. It's been three games and they've shown improvement with each week this season.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cory said:
porky88 said:
Cory said:
porky88 said:
Zero2Cool said:

I'm not completely sold on Rogers either, but would rather have lienart or culter. To me Vince is going to struggle big time. IMO, I don't think Young has the "equipment" upstairs to be an NFL QB and no I don't think that because of some wonderlic test. That's just my opinion, though and I hope he proves me wrong.

He did very good in school and was majoring in English I believe so he is a smart guy but there is difference an in NFL playbook and an English book.

I think he can do it. I'm pretty confident he can. Cutler is very raw and Leinart is the type of player who needs weapons around him in my opinion.

Either way though Young is yet to start and Hawk is looking like the best defensive player in the Draft.

Mario Williams is just been awful right now.

Then again 3 games is far to early to judge any player right now. Good thing Favre wasn't judged after 3 games or from what they say down in Atlanta he would of been released and gone from the NFL.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cory said:
Pyle, calm down. It's been three games and they've shown improvement with each week this season.

Or did they just play weaker competition week after week?

I guess we will find out Monday Night

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Williams was the one I was most skeptical about in the draft. Looked like a workout demon to me. You're right, though. Three games is waaayyyyyyy too early.

At Texas it was reported they had to dumb down the offense quite a bit for Young because he had trouble making his reads. I know he has good playmaking ability, but to me he may end up being a poor mans michael vick in a way. Oh well as you said we have Hawk now and either way it's niether our good fortune to have him or our problem if he fails.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Cory said:

Or did they just play weaker competition week after week?

I guess we will find out Monday Night

The Bears are 3-0 and the Saints are 3-0. Both are leading their divisions.

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:

I can't believe how you make up stuff, you don't know anything about the Packers draft board, in fact only the guys in the warroom knows anything about it and they don't reveal it after the draft either. Stop assuming stuff you don't know.

Also, if Vince Young continues running up the middle like he did in college he will get a career ending injury in a blink. In college he was good doing things you can't do in the NFL and that doesn't bode well.

I see you mentioned further down that Leinhart was the kind of guy that needs weapons around him, doesn't every QB need weapons around him? Look at Brett Favre, a perennial HOF QB, what is he without weapons?

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
GakkofNorway said:
C-Mize said:

I will, when these "Good Players" start racking up the W's.

I'm glad you aren't a GM or a coach, because evaluation of coaches/players aren't based on the wins solely.

Latest posts