Have we improved?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's great bonus for a team if someone who hasn't played a lot of snaps or at all turns into an impact player. Depending on it is a whole different matter and isn't a great strategy to start with.

You obviously haven't watched any of the Packers games in 2011.
Deja vu.

https://www.packerforum.com/threads/can-we-keep-all-our-upcoming-free-agents.35321/

Blast from the past where certain posters thought I was foolish for thinking other players would develop.

I don't see it as even optismism that new players will emerge. Depend on it? Not a great strategy? We already won a SB and are a contender each year. I think it is common sense to think that we have a great process for acquiring and developing talent.

The halibalu in the linked thread was the loss of Jennings. Lets see - Jordy upped his game as well as James Jones (led the league in TDs the next year - if my memory serves me) not to mention the drafting of Randall Cobb.

----------------

Raji's play has been poor since he moved out as a DE. He is a power guy, but playing in space as a 5T was not his thing. He is in a contract year, and he will want to prove something about himself at NT. My bet - is that he plays close to his 2010 level - when he was a dominating force.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Deja vu.

https://www.packerforum.com/threads/can-we-keep-all-our-upcoming-free-agents.35321/

Blast from the past where certain posters thought I was foolish for thinking other players would develop.

I don't see it as even optismism that new players will emerge. Depend on it? Not a great strategy? We already won a SB and are a contender each year. I think it is common sense to think that we have a great process for acquiring and developing talent.

The halibalu in the linked thread was the loss of Jennings. Lets see - Jordy upped his game as well as James Jones (led the league in TDs the next year - if my memory serves me) not to mention the drafting of Randall Cobb.

----------------

Raji's play has been poor since he moved out as a DE. He is a power guy, but playing in space as a 5T was not his thing. He is in a contract year, and he will want to prove something about himself at NT. My bet - is that he plays close to his 2010 level - when he was a dominating force.

Being one of the youngest teams every year means there is almost always a young player or two who gets better and steps up for us.

D

Deleted member 6794

The 2010 team that won the Super Bowl didn't enter the season relying on second year players who hadn't played a single snap at a position to be major contributors.

The 2013 squad had three proven receivers on the roster when Jennings left in Nelson, Jones (who led the league in TDs in 2012) and Cobb (80 receptions for 954 yards in 2012).

It's way too early to evaluate this year's roster as Thompson mostly uses the draft and UDFA to bring in talent but depending on second year players, who weren't able to get on the field at positions in dire need of an upgrade during last season, to turn into quality starters would be a way different matter than the ones you mentioned above.

Raji played terrible at NT for an entire season before he was moved to DE. He was in a contract year in 2013 as well when he turned in another awful performance. There's no way I'll trust him until he proves me wrong on the field.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 2010 team that won the Super Bowl didn't enter the season relying on second year players who hadn't played a single snap at a position to be major contributors.

The 2013 squad had three proven receivers on the roster when Jennings left in Nelson, Jones (who led the league in TDs in 2012) and Cobb (80 receptions for 954 yards in 2012).

It's way too early to evaluate this year's roster as Thompson mostly uses the draft and UDFA to bring in talent but depending on second year players, who weren't able to get on the field at positions in dire need of an upgrade during last season, to turn into quality starters would be a way different matter than the ones you mentioned above.

Raji played terrible at NT for an entire season before he was moved to DE. He was in a contract year in 2013 as well when he turned in another awful performance. There's no way I'll trust him until he proves me wrong on the field.
Looks like I got my years mixed up. I am still confident and excited about this season. Again, I am on record: Raji will be the comeback player of the year. Gunion is going to elevate his game (slightly). With these two, the Packers will have a great season defensively.

Thompson does not have to draft or pick up a single UDFA to make this team one of the most talented teams in the NFL. And considering we are young and many players are still on the upswing of their careers, well, I'm not sure how you can be negative at this point regarding the Packer roster.

D

Deleted member 6794

Thompson does not have to draft or pick up a single UDFA to make this team one of the most talented teams in the NFL. And considering we are young and many players are still on the upswing of their careers, well, I'm not sure how you can be negative at this point regarding the Packer roster.

I really don't get why it's either black or white for a lot of posters when it comes to evaluating the Packers roster and some of us pointing out shortcomings on the roster get called out as being whiners or negative about the team's outlook.

Let me put this straight for all of you. I believe the Packers are one of the most talented teams in the league as of right now. Thompson addressing the ILB position with a veteran (Spikes) and an early round draft pick (Kendricks) would make them the odds-on favourite to win the Super Bowl. In addition some more depth at CB would be great.

TT has done a great job of retaining most of our important free agents this offseason, now it's his job to improve the roster at positions of need.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Until we actually win the Superbowl, then I`m afraid we haven`t improved in my opinion. Just saying.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Getting rid of Hawk and Jones improved the ILB position in the same way that getting rid of MD Jennings improved the safety position. Whoever steps in to replace their snaps is odds on a better player. Losing both Williams and House is a big hole to fill and hurt the defense. TT will probably upgrade the ILB position between now and the start of the season. CB will likely be a sore spot. Hayward doesn't play the run very well so switching him from a slot type of nicllkel guy to an every down CB may backfire. Offense will be fine especially if TT upgrades the TE position in the draft. Defense will likely be similar to last year which is a concern because they couldn't hold a lead when it mattered in the second half of the big choke. Being close isn't good enough the Pack needs one or two more impact players on D to get over the hump.

Pack-12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

They relied on guys who hadn't played much like Desmond Bishop and Charlie Peprah as well as guys who had never taken an NFL snap like Sam Shields and Frank Zombo.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Technically speaking we've taken a step back from where we were at the end of the season. Losing House and Williams means somebody has to fill their role. Even losing Hawk and Jones creates a void that we don't KNOW for a fact can be filled as an upgrade. I feel better at this point in the year than I did last year. I've SEEN that the Peppers acquisition is working the way TT anticipated. The safety "problem" has been adequately addressed. Cobb came back from injury and really came into his own. We found a center who looks very adequate. NT with Raji and Guion is maybe not a position of strength but it's a lot better than Raji and whoever we can find down the road. Every team has areas they need to work on. All in all I think we're stronger coming into this year than we were last year. The HUGE factor that I think gets overlooked is.... This team KNOWS, not thinks, not hopes,.... KNOWS they are good enough to get to the Super Bowl. They also know that being good enough is not enough. That's some cliche BS that a lot of players coaches GMs can say, but this team lived that lesson.

H

HardRightEdge

Looks like I got my years mixed up. I am still confident and excited about this season. Again, I am on record: Raji will be the comeback player of the year. Gunion is going to elevate his game (slightly). With these two, the Packers will have a great season defensively.
It's a little difficult for a guy to elevate his game when he's likely looking at a suspension, duration to be determined. Raji as comback player of the year? That is a rose-colored-glasses assessment. It should be a "we'll see" situation, viewed with some skepticism, given his motorless play in a healthy contract year.
Talented? Yes. Holes? Surely. Depth issues? No doubt.

I'm skeptical of guys making "the jump" who have not played. Even McCarthy, in a recent quote, amended his blanket "second year jump" statements in past years to exclude guys who were injured in their first year.

By "have not played" I mean that they either were on the practice squad, red shirted on IR, did not make the game day roster with any regularity, or played exclusively on special teams...in other words, guys who got little or no game work at their position in their first year. With each successive year of non-play at their position, the odds go down regarding the "jump".

Lets look at the current starters. Which among those guys got few, if any, position snaps in their first healthy year?

There's Rodgers. He's sui generis. He's the only one.

I thought Lang and/or Sitton might be in this category, but Lang got 3 starts as a rookie and Sitton got 2. I suppose we could include Guion, but he was not developed by the Packers, was a two-year starter when came to us, and may not even be a starter next season.

The point being, to just assume that a guy who could not get on the field in his first healthy year will develop into a starter is just a low probability guess. You don't know what you've got until the guy actually plays. The "jump" assumption overlooks the high churn rate at the bottom of the roster every year among those non-playing guys. And history shows the churn has been particularly high among the ILB reserves.

A second year jump can be optimistically expected from guys who played their first year. For example, can we expect more consistency from Dix and Barrington? That's reasonable. Linsley? Maybe a little, though he looks close to a finished product as it is. Adams? There's cause for optimism, given what he showed playing a difficult postion for a rookie. Rodgers? Perhaps, perhaps not. However, caution should be taken even with assumptions in this regard.

This is what McCarthy said last August with respect to Datone Jones: [Jones is a] "very talented young man [and] one of those second-year players who makes a huge jump."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...mccarthy-datone-jones-to-make-huge-jump-in-14

That did not happen. Perry never made the jump either.

So as to the question, "is the team improved?" at this point, I'm not seeing a possible (but uncertain) jump from second year starters and the return of Raji outweighing the big hole at ILB with a bunch of zero-snap guys at the position, the questionable conversion of Hayward to cover corner, and the zero experience at cover corner backup. An injury to either Matthews or Peppers (or Peppers hitting the wall) would be especially problematic since there is not another effective pass rusher on the roster, and an injury to Matthews undoes the ILB plan entirely. There's no depth at WR in a primarily 3-wide offense. I won't even get into what the loss of Flynn means. A Guion/Jones rotation at DE might finally solve the Jenkins departure problem that was never adequately addressed, but Guion's availability remains in question.

Now, if you think the current roster is "good enough", that's another debate. However, I would point out that the low injury rate from last season is not likely to be repeated, so the starting lineups now are not likely to be intact by mid-season.

Thompson does need a h*ll of a draft to improve the team, though less so (we hope...and it is just a hope...with Raji and Guion in the fold), particularly in acquiring an ILB who can play now and arguably a backup of some promise, a backup cover corner (who might even compete with Hayward for the job), and a backup who can edge rusher and get some snaps in passing downs when Matthews is in the middle.

Last edited by a moderator:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a little difficult for a guy to elevate his game when he's likely looking at a suspension, duration to be determined. Raji as comback player of the year? That is a rose-colored-glasses assessment. It should be a "we'll see" situation, viewed with some skepticism, given his motorless play in a healthy contract year.

Talented? Yes. Holes? Surely. Depth issues? No doubt.

I'm skeptical of guys making "the jump" who have not played. Even McCarthy, in a recent quote, amended his blanket "second year jump" statements in past years to exclude guys were injured in their first year.

By "have not played" I mean that they either were on the practice squad, red shirted on IR, did not make the game day roster with any regularity, or played exclusively on special teams...in other words, guys who got little or no game work at their position in their first year. With each successive year of non-play at their position, the odds go down regarding the "jump".

Lets look at the current starters. Which among those guys got few, if any, position snaps in their first healthy year?
There's Rodgers. He's sui generis. He's the only one.

I thought Lang and/or Sitton might be in this category, but Lang got 3 starts as a rookie and Sitton got 2. I suppose we could include Guion, but he was not developed by the Packers, was a two-year starter when came to us, and may not even be a starter next season.

The point being, to just assume that a guy who could not get on the field in his first healthy year will develop into a starter is just a low probability guess. You don't know what you've got until the guy actually plays. The "jump" assumption t overlooks the high churn rate at the bottom of the roster every year among those non-playing guys. And history shows the churn has been particularly high among the ILB reserves.

A second year jump can be optimistically expected from guys who played their first year. For example, can we expect more consistency from Dix and Barrington? That's reasonable. Linsley? Maybe a little, though he looks close to a finished product as it is. Adams? There's cause for optimism, given what he showed playing a difficult postion for a rookie. Rodgers? Perhaps, perhaps not. However, caution should be taken even with assumptions in this regard.

This is what McCarthy said last August with respect to Datone Jones: [Jones is a] "very talented young man [and] one of those second-year players who makes a huge jump."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...mccarthy-datone-jones-to-make-huge-jump-in-14

That did not happen. Perry never made the jump either.

So as to the question, "is the team improved?" at this point, I'm not seeing a possible (but uncertain) jump from second year starters and the return of Raji outweighing the big hole at ILB with a bunch of zero-snap guys at the position, the questionable conversion of Hayward to cover corner, and the zero experience at cover corner backup. An injury to either Matthews or Peppers (or Peppers hitting the wall) would be especially problematic since there is not another effective pass rusher on the roster, and an injury to Matthews undoes the ILB plan entirely. There's no depth at WR in a primarily 3-wide offense. I won't even get into what the loss of Flynn means. A Guion/Jones rotation at DE might finally solve the Jenkins departure problem that was never adequately solved, but Guion's availability remains in question.

Now, if you think the current roster is "good enough", that's another debate. However, I would point out that the low injury rate from last season is not likely to be repeated, so the starting lineups now are not likely to be intact by mid-season.

Thompson does need a h*ll of draft to improve the team, though less so (we hope...and it is a hope) with Raji and Guion in the fold, particularly to acquire an ILB who can play now, a backup cover corner (who might even compete with Hayward for the job), and a backup who can edge rusher who can get some snaps in passing downs when Matthews is in the middle.
So you miss Jones and Hawk at ILB? How are the Packers ever going to fill that void?

Other than Peppers and Matthews (stud from the start) every player developed a f e w years before thwy were good. Maybe Bahk and Lindsey were a surprise as rookies, but most some time to develop. So explain to me now why it is suddenly silly to think that there are players on the team who are going to blossom and start contributing?

Towards the end of last season Hawk and Jones were not on the field much and the Packers defense was looking very good. I dont see the ILB position as critical. Barrington looked good and is still learning. Matthews with an off season at MLB may be a force. Can a young pup at MLB or OLB step up to the plate. I would not be surprised.

Does every player blossom into a star? Nope. But TTs track record is there will be some hits among them misses.

H

HardRightEdge

Until we actually win the Superbowl, then I`m afraid we haven`t improved in my opinion. Just saying.
I give you a qualified "agree" on that score.

If, for example, we had lost to Seattle in the NFC Championship game the same way as in the "Fail Mary" game, or if we lost in the Super Bowl the way Seattle lost to New England...a wtf moment that hinged on one play, one bad call, or even one bad bounce of the ball, I'd be inclined to say, "sh*t happens", wonder what might have been, and conclude that it was a Championship caliber team that, if the core players were kept intact, should be viewed with unbridled optimism.

But these serial defensive collapses in '11, '12 and '14 in the playoffs...there's something structural going on ("Fire Capers") and/or a deficiency of talent. It's an "and" in my opinion. Give Capers solid or better players in all position groups and you get a top defense and, with a little luck, a Championship. But every talent weakness or defensive game plan flaw seems to get brutally exposed.

So, yeah, the proof is in the putting.

H

HardRightEdge

So you miss Jones and Hawk at ILB? How are the Packers ever going to fill that void?

Other than Peppers and Matthews (stud from the start) every player developed a f e w years before thwy were good. Maybe Bahk and Lindsey were a surprise as rooI kies, but most some time to develop. So explain to me now why it is suddenly silly to think that there are players on the team who are going to blossom and start contributing?

Towards the end of last season Hawk and Jones were not on the field much and the Packers defense was looking very good. I dont see the ILB position as critical. Barrington looked good and is still learning. Matthews with an off season at MLB may be a force. Can a young pup at MLB or OLB step up to the plate. I would not be surprised.

Does every player blossom into a star? Nope. But TTs track record is there will be some hits among them misses.
Even if I were to assume that "every player developed a few years before they were good", which I do not with respect to the "every" exaggeration (more than the ones you named were at least adequate-to-good right out of the box), I repeat the main theme of that last post...they played right away, demonstrated they were already or might eventually be good players, and then they stayed good or improved. And some who even played, including a couple of first round picks, did not improve.

Give me an example from the last 4 seasons of a guy who emerged as a starter after warming the pine for at least a year. You're going to have a hard time coming up with one, despite the turnover in the starting lineups since 2010. I have to go back to Bishop in 2010, and he was at least a regular game day roster player for 3 years working special teams.

As for your questions, no, I don't miss Jones. He was an overpaid #4 ILB at the end of the season. I don't miss Lattimore either. Or So'oto. Or D.J. Smith. Or Francois. I'm sure I'm missing a few other names from recent years. I'm not likely to miss any of the guys currently on the roster at ILB who could not even earn one snap despite the fact that the top 3 guys on the depth chart at the start of the season are "thankfully" gone.

As a point of fact, Hawk was the "starter" in base defense through the end of the season, and the run defense improved after the bye despite having him in that role. Even in McGuin's scathing "F" grade analysis of Hawk, he noted he missed only 4 tackles all season. In another thread it was noted that PFF rated Hawk on par with Bobby Wagner in pass coverage., if you put any stock in that sort of thing. On balance, he was not a good player but he was not as bad as the loyalists want to portray him. The "addition by subtraction" argument has a not insignificant element of scape goating in it...which begs the question, what are you "scape goating" exactly. It was that late game defensive collapse against Seattle with which Hawk had little involvement.

So, I may or may not miss Hawk depending on who's drafted for ILB (or even a FA...some might appear in post-draft cap cutting and Spikes is still out there who fits the bill a base player in Hawk's stead) and how that guy ends up playing.

Can a "young pup at MLB or OLB step up to the plate?" Among guys currently on the roster, not likely.

The guys on the roster at ILB had a golden opportunity with the "abysmal" play, as many like to characterize it, at the position by the top 3 on the depth chart, and yet they could not get a snap. Most of them are busted OLBs looking to find a new niche. This point seems to bear repeating, but I'm not sure why that should be.

As for an OLB pup who could step up to the plate...we saw Elliott look like a 20 sack guy in preseason playing against 2nd. and 3rd. stringers trying to make a roster. While getting some snaps against first stringers in a couple of games he was thoroughly handled and sent back to the bench. It's a cautionary tale about preseason splashes.

I'm surprised you did not make a pitch for the backup OLB incumbents as pending breakout improvements as edge rushers. I think I know why...you've seen them play...a lot. And I did not see you try to make a case regarding the cover corner situation.

Pack-12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barrington never played as a rookie and he was an upgrade over Hawk and Jones in his 2nd season.

H

HardRightEdge

Barrington never played as a rookie and he was an upgrade over Hawk and Jones in his 2nd season.
He did not play as a rookie because he was on IR. He did not have the opportunity to play. He was in effect a rookie last season. My point regards guys who are healthy and cannot seem to get off the bench being regarded as the "future".

Healthy players (i.e., those with opportunity) who cannot regularly make the game day roster, at least as core special team players, have a very poor (or is it non-existant?) record of ascending to a starter role. And that's what you have among the youngsters at ILB, edge rusher, cover corner.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For those anticipating TT taking care of ILB and CB depth in the draft, not so fast.
Good article at www.packerstalk.com/2015/04/03/packers-football-friday-dont-expect-ted-thompson-to-be-needy/.
Makes a good argument for Thompson possibly bypassing both positions early in the draft.

Good article. Not sure I agree with it though, especially the "More often than not, Ted Thompson has greatly valued talent over need during the draft process." part. What we have now is a very good team on the verge of becoming a great team. We have a fully functioning and well set offence that we can count on. If we can upgrade the defence, this team will near be unbeatable. Needs have to be at equal priority to talent development this season and next. We need to get the best when this team is together.

Pack-12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He did not play as a rookie because he was on IR. He did not have the opportunity to play. He was in effect a rookie last season. My point regards guys who are healthy and cannot seem to get off the bench being regarded as the "future".

Healthy players (i.e., those with opportunity) who cannot regularly make the game day roster, at least as core special team players, have a very poor (or is it non-existant?) record of ascending to a starter role. And that's what you have among the youngsters at ILB, edge rusher, cover corner.

That's just blatantly false. He went on IR 9 weeks into the season and managed 1 snap on defense up to that point. It's not like he was on track to win a starting job there lol. He did not play as a rookie because the coaches did not think he was ready to play as a rookie.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For those anticipating TT taking care of ILB and CB depth in the draft, not so fast.
Good article at www.packerstalk.com/2015/04/03/packers-football-friday-dont-expect-ted-thompson-to-be-needy/.
Makes a good argument for Thompson possibly bypassing both positions early in the draft.

Good article. Not sure I agree with it though, especially the "More often than not, Ted Thompson has greatly valued talent over need during the draft process." part. What we have now is a very good team on the verge of becoming a great team. We have a fully functioning and well set offence that we can count on. If we can upgrade the defence, this team will near be unbeatable. Needs have to be at equal priority to talent development this season and next. We need to get the best when this team is together.

It basically says to me that TT will not sacrifice value to draft a need, which we all knew is true.

If TT decides to target a specific need early on, he'll try to make trades to make value fit the pick also.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

you hit the nail on the head with our young roster naturally getting better every year on a natural learning curve. so retaining our best free agents. And adding some good rookies to replace the ones we lost. We are getting better this year.

H

HardRightEdge

It's an argument, but not a very good one.

First, there are a few inaccuracies to be pointed out.

- He stated Peppers is the only Packer player to have started for another team. That's false. A minor point, to be sure.

- He states Rodgers was drafted 5 years before Favre "retired". Actually, it was 6 years. Another small point. However, that's a bit disingenuous, regardless. The salient point is when did Favre threaten to retire, and at what point was there a conjunction of age, "enough is enough" and a viable replacement? We know the answer to that.

- Woodson signed a "cheap contract"? Since when? It was a 7 year, $52 mil contract for a guy with injury questions. That was a big deal in 2006 when the salary cap was $102 million. Inflation adjusted for this year's $143 mil cap, that would equate to 7 years, $73 mil. Oh yeah, that's was cheap all right.

- Al Harris was with team two years prior to Thompson becoming GM.

There's a lot of sloppiness in this.

Now let's look at the argument as to why Thompson might not draft a CB. It basically boils down to the fact that Thompson does not draft for need and he's never taken a CB in the 1st. round. Then he goes on to mention Hayward and Lee who were taken in the the 2nd. round. So what? Prior to last year, Thompson's highest safety picks were Collins in the 2nd. and Burnett in the 3rd. Dix filled an obvious hole. I guess that was just coincidence. And what do we make of the Woodson signing in the first place? Was that just some random acquisition of a very costly player independent of need?

The writer applies the same argument to the ILB position, with a kicker. He suggest Thompson does not like making big investments at the position. While the writer correctly states Hawk was drafted as a 4-3 OLB, it is worth noting he was not traded as a bad fit for the 3-4 as with Kampman. There was evidently no issue with allocating a significant investment in Hawk to the position. And what about Matthews? Another major, actually massive, investment allocated to the position in what amounted to an experiment. There is no reason to believe ILB is not a priority in the draft in the same way safety was last season. At the same time there is no evidence to believe Thompson is inherently averse to "investing capital" at the position as the writer suggests. He already has...twice.

He mentions the Hawk/Hodge draft, but doesn't mention the fact that two incumbent starting LBs (Diggs and Lennon) were "fired". If one ever needed to see evidence of a "need" draft, that was it.

And if that's not enough, he goes on to say he would not be surprised if a DL or OLB are taken in the first 3 rounds. I would not be surprised either. But what is his basis for postulating these possibility? In the case of DL, it's a 2016 need. All of sudden need is to be considered in the equation? Who would of thunk it. As for OLB, "not an immediate need"? Oh, but it must be a need of some kind if you're going to use that dirty word.

The best argument presented that Thompson does not draft for need are the examples of Rodgers, Nelson and Hayward. Even if we accept those examples as pure best player picks, which I don't entirely, what about all of the other 1st. and 2nd. round picks that did fill a clear need component, taking the last 7 first round picks as a starting point?

And somehow we're to believe that Dix and Lacy just happened to be the best player on the board regardless of need and they just happened to fill big holes? Sheesh.

He likes Maxx Williams for the 1st. round. Should we ask the writer to apply the same logic here that he applied to the CB and ILB positions? Has he overlooked the fact Thompson's highest TE pick was in the 3rd. round?

The arguments presented start from the assumption than Thompson exercises a "best player available strategy" and then stumbles backward into the rest. It's a muddled analysis and poor writing, and in the end perhaps an elaborate "fantasy" case for drafting Maxx Williams. ;)

D

Deleted member 6794

Getting rid of Hawk and Jones improved the ILB position in the same way that getting rid of MD Jennings improved the safety position. Whoever steps in to replace their snaps is odds on a better player.

The safety position didn't improve because the Packers released Jennings. The reason was Thompson spending a first round pick on Clinton-Dix and moving Hyde (who played extensively as a rookie) to the position. Getting rid of Hawk and Jones and hoping some guys who have never played a single down at ILB will improve the position isn't a great strategy.

They relied on guys who hadn't played much like Desmond Bishop and Charlie Peprah as well as guys who had never taken an NFL snap like Sam Shields and Frank Zombo.

Shields was a rookie that season who proved from the start that he can start in the league. You can't compare the situation to any of the ILBs currently on the roster who weren't able to move ahead of Hawk and Jones on the depth chart last year.

The Packers didn't rely on any of the other guys you mentioned entering 2010. They were backups who got extensive playing time because of injuries.

Staff online

Latest posts