Has the Packer offense changed too much

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our offense has changed quite a bit from what would be considered a "pure" west coast offense. We don't seem to utilize TEs as much, 2 TEs sets as much, crossing paterns getting a lot of yards after the catch, or the FB as a reciever as often, to name a few things.

I think we might do well to go back to these things and more. It could cut down on int's, establish more ball control without beating up the HBs, tires and demoralizes the opponents D, and keeps our D off the field and fresher.

Any thoughts.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2 yrs. ago when Ahman rushed for 1800 yards, that kept the defense off the field as well, and the Pack experienced success. I too would like to see the TEs used a bit more, but if it's succesful, then stick w/ it.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good topic. Thanks for the post.

Which NFL teams actually do play a "pure" West Coast offense anymore? I can't think of any. Defenses evolved and caught up to it, and so offensive coaches have had to keep switching things up and adding new wrinkles. I think the current Packer offensive scheme is very well-suited to the personnel. It would be a waste if Javon Walker seldom had a chance to go deep. And two TE sets haven't been much of an option because of the lack of a legitimate second TE behind Franks. Ball control is great when you have a really punishing offensive line, but no team is that dominant anymore. Besides, I would argue that quick strikes are just as demoralizing as slow drives. The Packers have one of the best offenses in the league. What's really needed to take the team to the next level is a major improvement in the defense.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing I like most about the old West Coast offense is the ball control. Our best defense may very well be our offense holding onto the ball and moving the chains. I hope that my statement isn't true but it definately was accurate concerning last year's team. I hated it when the defense came strolling out onto the field. It was embarrassing.

Now that Favre is at the twilight of his career, I would think he would run that type of offense much more efficiently than he even did back in the glory years. Fewer turnovers by checking down to the RB's (including the fullback).

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerTraxx said:
Our offense has changed quite a bit from what would be considered a "pure" west coast offense. We don't seem to utilize TEs as much, 2 TEs sets as much, crossing paterns getting a lot of yards after the catch, or the FB as a reciever as often, to name a few things.

I think we might do well to go back to these things and more. It could cut down on int's, establish more ball control without beating up the HBs, tires and demoralizes the opponents D, and keeps our D off the field and fresher.

Any thoughts.

When Mike Holmgren and company ran the 2 TE sets, the Packers offense was hard to stop.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Steel Wheels said:
PackerTraxx said:

Any thoughts.

When Mike Holmgren and company ran the 2 TE sets, the Packers offense was hard to stop.

Here, here - And, I read that Ben Steele & Co are in the mix constantly right now, as we wait for the news about Bubba! :beer:

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I miss the audibles more than the difference in the plays that are run. I see Peyton Manning changing the plays constantly, and I'm thinking I wish Favre could do that more often the way he use too. (Like the audible to Rison on the 2nd play of the Super Bowl).

They had an article about it last year where Favre made it sound like the longer verbage of the plays now compared to a few years ago and the time it takes to get them in makes it too hard to call an audible. So he usually just runs whatever play is called from the sideline. I don't understand why that is though when I see Peyton Manning change plays every week.

If a running play is called and I see 8 in the box, I'd like Favre to have the ability to call an audible to throw one against that instead of running into the teeth of the defense with the called play from the sideline. To me Favre is an experienced veteran who knows the offense inside/out. This should be the point in his career where he should have the knowledge to take advantage of audibles compared to when he was younger and might not have known the offense as well. It just seems to me that we aren't taking advantage of some opportunities or using Brett's current talents to their fullest if he can't audible as often as he use too.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yooperpackfan said:
I guess we would need a tight end first and Ted Thompson appears determined that we won't have any.
Actually..... The TE position in Training Camp is set at least to 5 players deep. Ben Steele is currently listed as No.3, followed by Sean McHugh, etc. ALL Players are being given time on the field at this point. I, personally, don't think it's so much that TT doesn't care about the TE position - but, it's more like Mike Sherman & Co haven't finalized where they're headed with the O Line as yet. It's early in Camp and for the first time, I think Sherman is spending a focused amount of time on watching the Defense along with Bates... probably something he never took time for before this year.... Hence, how we ended up with Slowik last year.... The last thing Mikey needs is another fiasco like that - he really will be gone if it does! I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Mike Sherman bring back some semblence of the 96 Packer Offense using the Tiger Set..... not surprised at all - so many teams have fallen away from that, it's ridiculous. It'd take half the season to get players back on that mindset.

Just my opinion... (but think about it anyway) :idea:

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
We don't have two TEs that are a threat, Bubba is barely a threat in the end zone and I believe that is in part of our steller WR core, not because he's soooo good.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SlickVision said:
We don't have two TEs that are a threat, Bubba is barely a threat in the end zone and I believe that is in part of our steller WR core, not because he's soooo good.

I totally disagree. Bubba is a threat in the endzone because he's a huge target. Just throw it up high at the back of the endzone and if he can't reach it then it's going out. He's got great hands for those tight situations.

I really like Bubba as a very good TE, but I think that TT has offered him a fair contract. If Martin can start being consistent and Steele ends the drops, then we have a couple of replacements ready. But either way, it will be a drop-off from the solid play we've seen from Franks.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
hey...

at least Rosseley kept the SHOVEL PASS from the ol' west coast system....

i would chalk it up to a lack of imagination on the part of Rossley..and his inability to call a good game once the game has started.....totally inflexible...!

let's see if things change this year...!

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
hey...

at least Rosseley kept the SHOVEL PASS from the ol' west coast system....

i would chalk it up to a lack of imagination on the part of Rossley..and his inability to call a good game once the game has started.....totally inflexible...!

let's see if things change this year...!
I think that after last year's Detroit/Ford Field game - things changed for the better and we were out of the slump; Rossley took a big hit with Sherman's ability to excel with play-calling in Detroit - Rossley is now slated as the guy with the bug eyes upstairs and not so much the "official" game planner - Sherman states in Press COnferences, he will be calling the games.... with this being his last year on this Contract - he'd better not let Rossley get in the way ala the AZ fiasco.

OP
OP
P

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
The thing I like most about the old West Coast offense is the ball control. Our best defense may very well be our offense holding onto the ball and moving the chains. I hope that my statement isn't true but it definately was accurate concerning last year's team. I hated it when the defense came strolling out onto the field. It was embarrassing.

Now that Favre is at the twilight of his career, I would think he would run that type of offense much more efficiently than he even did back in the glory years. Fewer turnovers by checking down to the RB's (including the fullback).

ND, you hit on the 2 main areas that could be improved the most with a with a more pure WCO. More ball control without beating up the HBs and cutting back on ints. JMHO

If you are going to have a quick strike offense you had better keep striking, because you give the opponent more time and chances to score. This puts more pressure on the defense.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Franks is a big threat in the red zone as well as the end zone. When they have gone to him he has produced. You might not think much of Bubba but the 5 TE's they have in camp now couldn't hold Bubbas jockstrap. Even when Bubba comes back, and he will, we still won't have two tight ends no matter who they decide to keep.
SlickVision said:

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
yooperpackfan said:
Franks is a big threat in the red zone as well as the end zone. When they have gone to him he has produced. You might not think much of Bubba but the 5 TE's they have in camp now couldn't hold Bubbas jockstrap. Even when Bubba comes back, and he will, we still won't have two tight ends no matter who they decide to keep.
SlickVision said:

I like Franks, I think he's a good TE, but I don't believe he is as good as everyone seems to wanna say he is. I perhaps put too much merit in our receivers who Driver and Walker are each pro bowlers and with two pro bowl RB with a stellar line I think he has no choice but to be successful.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of ppl are focusing on Bubba's receiving services but neglecting what he contributes to the run game. From what I've read over the years, that aspect of his game is at least as valuable as his receiving ability, and is a big part of what separates him from guys like Steele and Martin.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also like the ball control in the West Coast offense, not only is it effective for making the opposing defense tired, but it keeps your defense's energy level high because they are not out there. :D

OP
OP
P

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe Bubba is a very solid and reliable TE. If he could go deep and run after the catch more effectively he would be amoung the elite. That said I still wish we had another good TE. One that could go downfield more effectly even at the sacrifice of some blocking ability. Being able to run a 2 TE offense gives us an additional weapon and the opponent another thing to practice/worry about. It also gives us depth if Bubba goes down. I've felt that position has been ignored since Thomason has left and Martin hasn't developed. My thinking was we should have been able to draft a project somewhere in the 5-7 th round that could be paying dividends now.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good call - the current thinking appears to be Steele & McHugh as possibles....
It'd be nice to see them develop before other Teams can prep (for a little while, at least)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts