has anybody ever heard of this guy

shanks2122

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My dads cousin is Nelson Toburen he played for the packers in 61 and 62 has anybody ever heard of him he started until he broke his back or neck

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All i know is whats listed in the Packers media guide, that he was a linebacker from Wicita State.

Beab66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember seeing him play. He was a starter until he broke a bone in his neck. He was a hellova hitter and a very promising player. According to sources at the time the injury was either life threatening or life crippling if he were to injure the neck again. This made retirement an easy and lucky option.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
shanks2122 said:
My dads cousin is Nelson Toburen he played for the packers in 61 and 62 has anybody ever heard of him he started until he broke his back or neck
He was picked in the 14th round of the 1961 draft and appeared in 24 games.
He wore #61.
He only appeared in 10 games in 1962 prior to his injury and all 14 games in 1961.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shanks2122 --I remember seeing your dad's cousin Nelson Toburen play. He played on 1961 Packers whose record was 12-3. The Packers shut out the New York Giants 37-0 in first NFL league championship game in City Stadium (now called Lambeau Field) before 39,029 largest crowd ever in the stadium on January 1, 1962.

The 1962 Packer team went 14-1. The Packer repeated as World Champs. Packers defeated the New York Giants 12 to 7 in Yankee Stadium in New York City on miserable day with 20 to 17 degrees temperature with winds gusting at 40 mph on December 31, 1962.

Some of great players on the 1961 & 1962 Packer rosters were Bart Starr, Jimmy Taylor, Paul Hornung, Boyd Dowler, Ray Nitchke, Willie Davis, Willie Wood, Jerry Kramer, Fuzzy Thurston, Max McGee Forrest Gregg. Henry Jordon, Herb Adderly, and the rest of the Green Bay "Glory Year Packers"

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
shanks2122 said:
ive read a lot of good things to bad he got injured but at least i got packer blood in my vains

Packer Blood in your Viens.... You know what that means don't you.

You have to sign up as a Packer Forum supporter. I am sending in my membership in tomorrows out going mail.

By the way, I was in the Jacksonville Ale House last night wearing a very nice (Not an in your face.) Raider Polo shirt. Some guy at the bar started giving me tribulation about Darryl Stingley like it was my fault? I mean, Christ I did not hit the guy? What was that? 20 years ago? I think the Jag's fans have got an attitude since they signed Mike Tice.

So if you are thinking that it was a Raider who may have hit and or injured your Kin forget about it.... Al Davis was the Offensive end coach of the Los Angeles Chargers in 1961.

RP

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RP....that's too funny! You should have jumped in that Jag fan's face about the shot Donovan Darious put on Ferguson......I think it was Fergy.

I have an employee that's a Raidah fan. Anytime the Steelers do anything good he constantly reminds Steeler fans what cheaters they are. He just can't let the Immaculate Reception go!!

Howard Toburen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually saw him play and was watching when he got hurt. My dad told me that, after his injury, the Packers sent him to law school and gave him a lot of their legal work. Loyalty!