Harris or Woodson for the Pro Bowl?

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's an article from the Press Gazette about the possibility of Al Harris or Charles Woodson making the Pro Bowl. I think Harris would be a virtual shoo-in if he had only caught a couple of those balls that hit him right in the hands. But he dropped them. Woodson has the 5 interceptions and has played very well, but I would have a hard time justifying the selection of a player who has the job of covering the other team's second-best wide receiver in every game, when the guy who covers the #1 doesn't get in.

My hunch is that neither of them will be selected. But really, these two guys and Aaron Kampman are the only players who can't be blamed at all for the defense's poor performance this season. So they should all get consideration for the Pro Bowl.

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061214/PKR01/612140471/1989

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought what was in the box inset in the article was interesting, some parts of it below:

Who else could be a Pro Bowler?

Other than Al Harris, what other Packers have a shot at making the NFC's Pro Bowl team?
LEADING CONTENDERS

Wide receiver Donald Driver. Driver doesn't rank among the top five in the fans' voting, but he's second in the NFC behind Detroit's Roy Williams in receiving yards (1,116 to 1,103) and third among receivers in receptions (73).

Defensive end Aaron Kampman. Kampman ranks second in fan voting behind Carolina's Julius Peppers. With 10½ sacks, Kampman's tied for second in the NFC with New Orleans' Will Smith, behind Peppers' 11.

LONG SHOTS
Linebacker A.J. Hawk ranks second in fan voting behind Chicago's Lance Briggs. Dallas' DeMarcus Ware and Seattle's Julian Peterson are other top candidates to get the three outside linebacker spots.

Quarterback Brett Favre is a contender for one of the three NFC slots because of weak competition — only New Orleans' Drew Brees, the NFL's leading passer, is having a big year on a winning NFC team — and possible sentimental votes from players and coaches. He does not rank among the top five in the fans' voting.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Woodson in my opinion will be an alternate and rightfully so. Harris probably won't be either or. He's having a good year and deserves to be an alternate but he doesn't have the picks and doesn't have the presence and respect that others do.

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've often wondered whether personal experience or name recognition carries more weight with players. I mean if you're Manuel do you simply vote for the guy who beat you the worst?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think both Al and Charles struggled too bad early in the season to go to the pro bowl, but who knows. They have good reps, and the pro bowl is a glorified popularity contest, so who knows.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pete Prisco is usually right on in his Pro Bowl picks... So count on three Packers on the Pro bowl Team. Here they are.

NFC offense Quarterback: Drew Brees, Saints. Reserves: Tony Romo, Cowboys; Marc Bulger, Rams.
Comment: The starter was an easy pick, but there isn't much after him.

Receiver: Torry Holt, Rams; Steve Smith, Panthers. Reserves: Terrell Owens, Cowboys; Donald Driver, Packers.Comment: Holt is tops among NFC receivers in catches and Smith might be if he didn't miss time with an injury. Driver edges out Anquan Boldin.

Tight end: Jeremy Shockey. Reserve: Alge Crumpler.
Comment: This was not a good season for NFC tight ends.

Running back: Frank Gore, 49ers; Tiki Barber, Giants. Reserve: Steven Jackson, Rams.
Comment: Gore averages 5.6 yards per carry and Barber continues to put up huge numbers. Jackson is running it and catching it.

Fullback: Justin Griffith, Falcons.
Comment: He has 18 catches, scored a touchdown last week and is a sledgehammer as a blocker.

Tackle: Walter Jones, Seahawks; Kareem McKenzie, Giants. Reserve: Jamaal Brown, Saints.
Comment: Jones is the best lineman in football, and McKenzie gets the nod from a weak group at right tackle.

Guard: Chris Snee, Giants; Shawn Andrews, Eagles. Reserve: Steve Hutchinson, Vikings.
Comment: Snee and Andrews should be in this game for a long time. Hutchinson didn't play as well as he has the past few years, which is why he's not the starter.

Center: Olin Kreutz, Bears. Reserve: Andre Gurode, Cowboys.
Comment: Kreutz continues to play at a high level, and Gurode was mentioned by a couple of defensive coaches.

Kicker: Robbie Gould, Bears. He has been almost perfect this season.

NFC defense End: Julius Peppers, Panthers; Will Smith, Saints. Reserve: Aaron Kampman, Packers.Comment: Peppers and Smith were easy picks. Kampman has slowed some after a fast start.

Tackle: Fred Robbins, Giants; Kevin Williams, Vikings. Reserve: Tommie Harris, Bears.
Comment: Robbins has been a force for the Giants inside, and Williams again played at a high level. Harris cooled after a fast start, and now he's hurt.

Inside linebacker: Brian Urlacher, Bears; Gerald Hayes, Cardinals. Reserve: Antonio Pierce, Giants.
Comment: Urlacher is an easy choice. Hayes needs to get more attention.

Outside linebacker: Julian Peterson, Seahawks; DeMarcus Ware, Cowboys. Reserve: Lance Briggs, Bears.
Comment: Peterson has been a nice addition to the Seattle defense, while Ware has had a good second season.

Cornerback: Terence Newman, Cowboys; Al Harris, Packers. Reserve: DeAngelo Hall, Falcons.
Comment: Newman has quietly had an outstanding season, while Harris is an outstanding man cover corner. Hall gets a slight edge over Ronde Barber.

Safety: Adrian Wilson, Cardinals; Sean Taylor, Redskins. Reserve: Brian Dawkins, Eagles.
Comment: Wilson and Taylor should go to their first Pro Bowls. Dawkins continues to play at a high level.

Kick returner: Devin Hester. Can it be anybody else?

Special teams: Aaron Francisco, Cardinals. He has really come on as a special-teams tackler.

Punter: Jason Baker, Panthers. His 39.0 net is the best in the conference and his 45.3 average is tied for second in the conference.

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harris should have been in the past 2 years. This will make it 3 years he should make it.

Football Prospectus had him up there for Defensive Player of the Year last year, which I agree with. Harris is the man and has been for a while.

~TheJoker~

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think either one makes it. The Pro Bowl is a popularity contest and people get snubbed all the time. Before the world had manlove for LT2, he was left out even when he was the 2nd player EVER to get 1000yds receiving and rushing in a year. And whoever ESPN creates out of thin air as the best at that position, he is then annointed as such by the drooling followers. Media darlings (Romo, LT), players' friends, and name recognition (the overhyped can-do-no-wrong Champ Bailey, the horrible in coverage Roy Williams)...that's just the way it is, unfortunately.

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
~TheJoker~ said:
I don't think either one makes it. The Pro Bowl is a popularity contest and people get snubbed all the time. Before the world had manlove for LT2, he was left out even when he was the 2nd player EVER to get 1000yds receiving and rushing in a year. And whoever ESPN creates out of thin air as the best at that position, he is then annointed as such by the drooling followers. Media darlings (Romo, LT), players' friends, and name recognition (the overhyped can-do-no-wrong Champ Bailey, the horrible in coverage Roy Williams)...that's just the way it is, unfortunately.

The credibility of the Pro Bowl took a huge hit the year that they left out LaDanian Tomlinson. I once heard it suggested that scouts should do the voting. That sounds like the best arrangement to me. Players and coaches are often biased with their picks, as they don't have the opportunity to watch every team in the league.

~TheJoker~

Cheesehead
Reaction score
~TheJoker~ said:

I'm gonna go ahead and give myself a huge pat on the back for calling all four named and Wood/Harris not named. Shouldn't have even gotten my hopes up. As predictable as the tides.

John f*cking Lynch? No Asante Samuel? Lito f*cking Sheppard? Demeco Freakin Ryans is a rookie who leads the entire planet in tackles---left out? Great work again, Pro Bowl voters.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts