Hamstrings in Green Bay

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One word...seriously!!! I've NEVER in my life of watching ANY sport, saw a team suffer from more hamstring issues than Green Bay. Wth kind of program do they have these guys on? I'm talking stretching, diet, ice tub etc.. this is an epidemic here smh.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One word...seriously!!! I've NEVER in my life of watching ANY sport, saw a team suffer from more hamstring issues than Green Bay. Wth kind of program do they have these guys on? I'm talking stretching, diet, ice tub etc.. this is an epidemic here smh.

I'm in a deerstand and not watching. Who'd we lose now?

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope the Packer have everyone doing injury prevention exercises, especially for hamstrings since they have a lot.

Once a player has a hamstring injury though, it's very hard to prevent another one. When a player like Clay misses games at different times due to a hamstring, it's not surprising.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Falcons had guys on the sidelines for the same reason.

Listen to McCarthy's spot-on assessment after last week's game. The CBA puts a serious dent into teams because these guys don't get to practice as much. I personally also believe that the style of play is pushing towards more injuries, meaning that players are more specialized. They go on and off the field for game situations, resting their muscles and then pushing them to 100% for a play or two, then back to standing or sitting on the sideline, then back to 100%... Players used to play more of a complete game, and probably not at 100% every play but at 80-90% to save some for the rest of the game. Their muscles weren't maxed out in the same way.

Don't forget that even with nutritionists, strength coaches, team-provided foods (in camp), and everything else these 20 year olds still make bad food decisions. Eddie Lacy is the obvious example of someone that can't put down the fried catfish, but lots of them eat garbage when on their own. That leads to hamstring pulls and such when your muscles don't have the right vitamins and nutrients to play at such high levels.

My opinions.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not only the specialization of play, but also they are always "on". It's the same reason we see a lot more athletic injuries in that 10 year olds thru high school ages too. They go thru the same motions year round in an effort to get better and faster.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I am an athletic trainer. The fact that there are multiple hamstring and groin strains tells me one thing:

The Packer's medical/athletic training staff is not doing their job! They are being very reactive and not proactive. They need to be consistent with proactive exercises to reduce the risk of these injures. It is not a coincidence that TWO of our cornerbacks are out with groin problems. Something is wrong. Are dynamic groin stretches not part of the daily routine? Are the shoes we are wearing old or inadequate? Is there a problem with the practice field? This is embarrassing from a medical stand point and should not happen.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Blessing in disguise? Silver linings on a cloud?

At least they have forced MM to shake up the offence.

Hope we continue to play different packages and keep defences guessing.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It does all remind me a bit of when Favre lost Sterling Sharpe and then had to start using little known, little used receivers such as Robert Brooks, Antonio Freeman, Mickens, Ed West, Chmura, Jeff Thomason....sorry, I always love to toss that last one in there....it was the golden mullet.

McCarthy was forced to use guys that he was holding back and Rodgers was obliged to throw passes to the young guys. There something about empty set formations that makes them powerful like in 2011, and that's having five actual threats lined up wide. Then you just pick on the weakest in the defensive herd.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets go through the list of hammy/groin injuries this year.

Ryan
Banjo
Guion (one of the d-lineman had a hammy...thought it was him)
Clay
Rollins
Randall
Linsley
Burnett
Hawkins
Cobb

Some of these were in camp and early in the year and I probably missed one or two but that is a long list. I have ridden Lovat's *** for years because of the # of muscle pulls under his watch. Last year was his cleanest year but this year is an abomination. How do 3 players from 1 position group get groin pulls. Pretty odd occurrance unless its something all 3 of them are doing or not doing together.

MM is attached at the hip and lip to Lovat so he will never even be evaluated IMO. This is an issue and MM just blows smoke whenever its brought up. The guy may be good as some aspects of his job but something is wrong with his program if there are this many muscle pulls.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score

Ryan
Banjo
Guion (one of the d-lineman had a hammy...thought it was him)
Clay
Rollins
Randall
Linsley
Burnett
Hawkins
Cobb

Some of these were in camp and early in the year and I probably missed one or two but that is a long list. I have ridden Lovat's *** for years because of the # of muscle pulls under his watch. Last year was his cleanest year but this year is an abomination. How do 3 players from 1 position group get groin pulls. Pretty odd occurrance unless its something all 3 of them are doing or not doing together.

MM is attached at the hip and lip to Lovat so he will never even be evaluated IMO. This is an issue and MM just blows smoke whenever its brought up. The guy may be good as some aspects of his job but something is wrong with his program if there are this many muscle pulls.

The problem is that the field of athletic training in an athletic setting has become 100% reactive. They sit in the athletic training / medical room and wait for the athletes to get hurt and come in. This is 100% backwards. This team sustains more soft tissue injuries than any other team in the NFL. How many other NFL quarterbacks do you see with calf strains at the end of a season? These kinds of injuries for highly trained athletes is unacceptable. Sure, the ACL tear or MCL sprain is going to happen, the ankle sprain is going to happen. The strains should not be.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
being reactive on the part of the AT staff is part of it. Taking way so much contact from the preseason is part of it, making training a year round activity is part of it. There are lots of parts to this problem. Taking away the contact means they have to train in other ways. Training in other ways means they do the drills and exercises they have been doing all year long, over and over and over again.

Being reactive instead of identifying muscle imbalances and creating a program to fix them causes problems. Or maybe they do and just aren't very good at it? so when they think they're correcting something, they're just pounding on bent nails and the injury is just waiting to happen?

and specialization in sport, there's not time off, the drills are always the same. Now their stuck in a cycle. Do they do more? it's really hard to do less mentally because you think someone else is going to overtake you. It's apparent something needs to change with this team though.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a ridiculous list unless you list the number for each of the other teams. There is no basis for comparison. Compared to the number of hammy/groin pulls in my office, that looks like a lot. Maybe the Packers have less than the Colts, or the Giants, etc.?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a ridiculous list unless you list the number for each of the other teams. There is no basis for comparison. Compared to the number of hammy/groin pulls in my office, that looks like a lot. Maybe the Packers have less than the Colts, or the Giants, etc.?
A few years ago they reported that hamstring injuries averaged like 6 or so per team.

Don't know if that was just league average, with on team having 8 and another having 4 consistently or if it was what could be expected in any given year because it's just how it goes

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That would be helpful. It's also possible that it has increased over the past few years, for all teams.

In our case, it does seem that Clay skews our number because it's his favorite injury.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts