Haha, Cobb, and Matthews extensions?

SD Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know we are all waiting to get Arod locked up long term but I was also wondering if we may also try to get extensions done with Haha, Cobb, and Clay before next season starts. I really think we need to resign Haha but am interested what other people think about keeping Cobb and Clay for a couple more years? How many years and for how much money would you be comfortable with? I wouldn’t mind keeping all of them but definitely for much smaller deals than they are on right now for Cobb and Clay.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I think they will want to see HHCD rebound under before paying him long term. Paying him only to find out that 2017 is who he is moving forward is an avoidable disaster.

Matthews and Cobb will almost certainly walk.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not in a hurry to get any deals done for those guys. Play it out and earn it.

OP
OP
SD Cheesehead

SD Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My main concern is that EDGE and WR are two positions I feel we are good with our starters but are very unknown after that. I wouldn’t mind if we started conversations with both to get them signed for another 2-3 years with some much more team friendly deals an spread their cap hits out for a couple of more years and lessening their burden this year. It also gives us some security for the future to have them as veterans and hopefully all our young wideouts from this year progress and hopefully next year we get an edge or 2 to really groom behind Clay and Perry and have a little brighter future than what we have on the roster right now. I really don’t mind waiting on Haha and seeing how he progresses this year. I think he’ll bounce back and if he does we will have to pay him and he will be worth it.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can see very likely scenarios where each, any, or all of those guys are here in a year or 2 or somewhere else. But i'm still not in a hurry to lock them up. I'm fine with a wait and see approach.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly aside from HaHa and maybe Rip, I could see every other free agent we have in 2019 not being brought back. Would love clay back though if he was much cheaper

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
Sign HaHa now while he’s cheaper, and cut him if he doesn’t rebound. Only give him like 1M a year guaranteed.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sign HaHa now while he’s cheaper, and cut him if he doesn’t rebound. Only give him like 1M a year guaranteed.

HaHa seems too egotistical to take a low offer. He self proclaimed himself as the best safety in football coming into last year.

If Clay and Cobb don't take hometown discounts after what they are getting paid this year, good riddance.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Hah, believe will get done...

Clay prob gone.. Unless he can prove under new system.

Cobb, eh ..

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
HaHa seems too egotistical to take a low offer. He self proclaimed himself as the best safety in football coming into last year.

If Clay and Cobb don't take hometown discounts after what they are getting paid this year, good riddance.
I'd be too egotistical to sign for 1M a year too and I have the speed of an offensive lineman and hands to match.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be too egotistical to sign for 1M a year too and I have the speed of an offensive lineman and hands to match.

By low offer I mean about 4 mil a year. He probably thinks he's an 8 mil/yr guy. He is worth 8/yr if he plays like he did in 2016. 2017 he played like a turd.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By low offer I mean about 4 mil a year. He probably thinks he's an 8 mil/yr guy. He is worth 8/yr if he plays like he did in 2016. 2017 he played like a turd.
gotcha, if he plays like last year, i wouldn't even make him an offer to stick around

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
I think their best days are behind Randell Cobb and Clay. Any extension would have to involve a substantial pay cut. Letting them walk can be offset with the two first round picks in 2019.

I would need to see how HHCD performs this year. Was his play a reflection of his ability or trying to operate in Capers defense?

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
I think people thought I meant 1M guaranteed as the only part of his contract, but with only 1M guaranteed he’d be cheap enough to cut without suffering a large loss. Something like 10-15M 3Y 3Mgaurunteed is what he’s worth gambling after his poor last season.

The way this safety market has gone this year, I think it’s good to sign him now cheaper than if the market picks up next year.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know we are all waiting to get Arod locked up long term but I was also wondering if we may also try to get extensions done with Haha, Cobb, and Clay before next season starts. I really think we need to resign Haha but am interested what other people think about keeping Cobb and Clay for a couple more years? How many years and for how much money would you be comfortable with? I wouldn’t mind keeping all of them but definitely for much smaller deals than they are on right now for Cobb and Clay.

I'd rather keep clay for the money he's gonna command which is gonna be a lot than Cobb or haha who will also get a bunch. I'm guessing haha will be the most affordable but he's also the least talented. He's just not a playmaker. Yeah if the qb makes a bad over or underthrow right into his arms he catches it sometimes but he doesn't make breaks on balls like you want your free safety to. However since gute declined to draft a top free safety, the team may be stuck with haha. Additionally this may be another case of playing a player out of position as I think it's clear haha is much better suited to be a strong safety spending more time closer to the line of scrimmage

Conan Troutman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd rather keep clay for the money he's gonna command which is gonna be a lot than Cobb or haha who will also get a bunch. I'm guessing haha will be the most affordable but he's also the least talented. He's just not a playmaker. Yeah if the qb makes a bad over or underthrow right into his arms he catches it sometimes but he doesn't make breaks on balls like you want your free safety to. However since gute declined to draft a top free safety, the team may be stuck with haha. Additionally this may be another case of playing a player out of position as I think it's clear haha is much better suited to be a strong safety spending more time closer to the line of scrimmage

Agree that Haha's better in the box. Jones probably is as well, though. Maybe they want to give reps to Rollins and the young safeties first before they bring in a vet, but that secondary could use an experienced FS. Wouldn't mind Tre Boston, who's somehow still available.

OP
OP
SD Cheesehead

SD Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t think Cobb or Clay are going to command quite as much on the open market as most people in this forum think. Clay is well over 30, injury prone, and declining production the last couple of years. Cobb has been ok the last couple of years but not great. A lot of people feel he is a product of playing with Arod and honestly I sometimes find it hard to argue. I personally hope we can get clay back on a 2-3 year around 5 million/year and something similar for Cobb. They’ve been overplayed the last few years and I think they probably realize that and if they really want to stay in Green Bay will help us out with a little more affordable contracts than they may get on the open market. As for Haha, I wouldn’t mind getting him locked up now but I feel his down year last year was due to Capers and all the confusion in the secondary he created. But I blame everything on Capers........good riddance!

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Isn't this where "remember, it takes two to make a contract" comes in?

Spot on. I think too often we as fans think players should sign "team friendly" deals. Of course they should. After all, that would be what is best for the team and us as fans right? But this is a business for both the team and the player. The player usually has an agent that is probably more in tune with his players market value than even the Packers themselves. If it was a few thousand dollars, sure I see a content player possibly not wanting to uproot or change teams, but when you are talking 6-7 digits, the player and his agent is most likely going to forgo the "team discount" and go where the deal is best for the player. I have no idea what Jordy would have resigned with the Packers for, but I have a feeling, he is about the closest thing you will find to a player willing to sign a "team friendly" deal. I'm sure his age as well as his desire to finish his career with AR and the Packers was a big part of that, but there probably are less "Jordy's" out there than we think.

Members online

No members online now.