Haha, Cobb, and Matthews extensions?

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t think Cobb or Clay are going to command quite as much on the open market as most people in this forum think. Clay is well over 30, injury prone, and declining production the last couple of years. Cobb has been ok the last couple of years but not great. A lot of people feel he is a product of playing with Arod and honestly I sometimes find it hard to argue. I personally hope we can get clay back on a 2-3 year around 5 million/year and something similar for Cobb. They’ve been overplayed the last few years and I think they probably realize that and if they really want to stay in Green Bay will help us out with a little more affordable contracts than they may get on the open market. As for Haha, I wouldn’t mind getting him locked up now but I feel his down year last year was due to Capers and all the confusion in the secondary he created. But I blame everything on Capers........good riddance!
I agree with the first half of what you are saying here about Cobb and Matthews market value being overvalued by some(probably most) on this forum. They both have been limited by numerous injuries and the production the team has received has been that of journeyman type nfl players but yet they are still here, and still being paid to be elite. Their combined contracts, and lack of production, have really been a detriment to this team over the last several years and frankly unless something miraculous happens this year it’s hard to expect any different.

H

HardRightEdge

Of the three names mentioned, it won't be all of them and could be none of them. Resurgent performance makes them unaffordable; lackluster performance makes them unwanted.

In the "who else ya got?" element of the equation, the performance of possible replacements under contract for next season factors in, as in the Sitton-out, Taylor-in example.

Current top 51 cap committments for 2019, without those players and others and without a Rodgers extension, are nearly on par with the current ones for 2018.

Whichever of these playerrs, if any, get re-upped, it won't be anytime soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree that Haha's better in the box. Jones probably is as well, though. Maybe they want to give reps to Rollins and the young safeties first before they bring in a vet, but that secondary could use an experienced FS. Wouldn't mind Tre Boston, who's somehow still available.

Yeah I liked Tre Boston since whatever year he was drafted he's a play maker. The problem is I don't think the Packers would start him over haha or Jones who as you said are both better the closer to the line they are. It's the same problem they had with Burnett and haha and it's the reason Hyde is the bills starting free safety instead of the Packers. Hyde is also a playmaker as is Hayward and in my opinion you keep those guys cuz those are the types of players that are the difference between wins and losses. I think gute got a few of those guys in the draft this year. I also think Rollins could be a play making free safety. He had 8 picks in his one season of college football and I read a quote from him before he was drafted saying that half the teams in the league saw him as a safety and half a CB. Mike mayock who has proven to be very good at evaluation of talent had him as his #2 safety behind guess who Randall. Who's another guy I think is gonna be really good when he's back at his natural position

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's time to move on from CM and Cobb. This new GM seems to be all about business. In other words, if you don't perform...your out the door.

I'd be willing to bet that both have very good seasons this year. Clay because pettine is gonna use him well i see double digit sacks. And Cobb because with nelson gone he's gonna be counted on more in the offense and he's in a contract year.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The time to move on from starters is when you have guys capable of starting in their place. Unfortunately, that is not the situation with Cobb, Matthews and Ha Ha. People can **** and moan all they want about how much Cobb and Matthews are under-performing their contracts, but I don't see one guy on the roster that could play at 75% of either of their levels.

Maybe Gilbert or Biegel will make Clay dispensable and/or one of the rookie WR's will do the same with Cobb, but until that happens or a FA is signed, I don't see either of them as not being a possibility of being a Packer in the future.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
extended/resigned...not much difference. i'd say at least two are back, maybe all. whoever isn't retained has to be replaced with someone at least as good or it's a step backward at that position...so someone cheap is a pipe dream.

OP
OP
SD Cheesehead

SD Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
extended/resigned...not much difference. i'd say at least two are back, maybe all. whoever isn't retained has to be replaced with someone at least as good or it's a step backward at that position...so someone cheap is a pipe dream.
One good thing is all of them have a lot to play for this year. Yes we would have to pay them more next year but they definitely don’t lack motivation this year which means we should get about as a good test of what they have left as we could ask for.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's time to move on from CM and Cobb. This new GM seems to be all about business. In other words, if you don't perform...your out the door.

Or in the case of CM and Cobb apparently even if you do perform you're out the door.

Conan Troutman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The time to move on from starters is when you have guys capable of starting in their place. Unfortunately, that is not the situation with Cobb, Matthews and Ha Ha. People can **** and moan all they want about how much Cobb and Matthews are under-performing their contracts, but I don't see one guy on the roster that could play at 75% of either of their levels.

Maybe Gilbert or Biegel will make Clay dispensable and/or one of the rookie WR's will do the same with Cobb, but until that happens or a FA is signed, I don't see either of them as not being a possibility of being a Packer in the future.

I wouldn't mind bringing back either of the two next year, but let them test the market first and if they happen to be too pricey, let them walk. You have two first round picks in draft supposedly stacked with pass rush talent and slot receiver is one of the easiest positions to replace. Of course there's no guarantee even a top 15 pick and/or a FA will pan out, but sometimes you just have to take the risk and this might be one those times.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm assuming that edge rusher will be a top priority in next year's offseason. Even if Clay has a good season this year, he's not getting any younger, but "good" might mean he's worth keeping. If he doesn't play up to snuff and the the Packers draft his replacement, let him walk. If he has a great season, then well, he'll probably be out of the Packers' price range.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NO on all 3. I believe that you can move Jackson or Brice to FS and let Jones play SS. A lot less money for probably the same type of production.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or in the case of CM and Cobb apparently even if you do perform you're out the door.

Yeah, I get that Cobb and Matthews haven't been Pro Bowl caliber guys recently but that doesn't mean they're not better than guys the Packers could replace them with. As for Matthews, I really feel like Thompson shortened his career. A few years ago I remember reading an article that looked at how much shorter most inside linebacking careers were compared to outside and thinking that Clay moving inside was gonna take a physical toll.

Tavoooo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know we are all waiting to get Arod locked up long term but I was also wondering if we may also try to get extensions done with Haha, Cobb, and Clay before next season starts. I really think we need to resign Haha but am interested what other people think about keeping Cobb and Clay for a couple more years? How many years and for how much money would you be comfortable with? I wouldn’t mind keeping all of them but definitely for much smaller deals than they are on right now for Cobb and Clay.
I really believe Matthews is starting to become a AJ Hawk . The reason being is because Matthews hasn’t been able to create any sorts of pressure unless we play a mediocre team. We should really consider parting ways and not prolong anymore.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I really believe Matthews is starting to become a AJ Hawk . The reason being is because Matthews hasn’t been able to create any sorts of pressure unless we play a mediocre team. We should really consider parting ways and not prolong anymore.
I'm not sure I would agree with an argument that the Packers should cut/not resign Matthews solely based on "he can only create pressures against mediocre teams". The following are the teams he recorded sacks against and how that team fared in 2017 for giving up sacks. Also, sacks are just one stat. There are other things a player like Matthews does on the field that may not appear on the stat sheet. I'm not saying that Matthews current contract isn't overpaying him, but he isn't the washed up "terrible player" that some might want you to believe that he is.

Atlanta: 1 1/2 sacks . Atlanta gave up the 3rd fewest sacks in the NFL.
Chicago: 1 sack, 18th
Baltimore: 1, 7th
Tampa Bay: 3, 19th
Cleveland: 1, 27th

Last edited:

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with pbrat. some people seem to think that matthew's only role is to sack a person. the guy is still quick and does put pressure on the backs. they guy that runs with the ball or the guy who passes it. now that we have some young guys who prevents the other guys from catching the ball, lets see how that plays out. matthews putting pressure on the guy throwing the ball and the other guys putting pressure on the guys that catch the ball. we will see!

OP
OP
SD Cheesehead

SD Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NO on all 3. I believe that you can move Jackson or Brice to FS and let Jones play SS. A lot less money for probably the same type of production.
And you is taking over for Cobb and Matthews in this scenario? Our depth behind those two are the concerning parts. I don’t think we need to give them big extensions but would love to keep them both for veteran depth and leadership. Draft an edge rusher or two to develop next year along with another receiver to develop with this years guys. Also, HAHA had a down year but is still a solid player and has way more experience and talent than an UDFA and moving a top draft pick from his natural position. Might be a little early to give up on Jackson at CB

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure I would agree with an argument that the Packers should cut/not resign Matthews solely based on "he can only create pressures against mediocre teams". The following are the teams he recorded sacks against and how that team fared in 2017 for giving up sacks. Also, sacks are just one stat. There are other things a player like Matthews does on the field that may not appear on the stat sheet. I'm not saying that Matthews current contract isn't overpaying him, but he isn't the washed up "terrible player" that some might want you to believe that he is.

Atlanta: 1 1/2 sacks . Atlanta gave up the 3rd fewest sacks in the NFL.
Chicago: 1 sack, 18th
Baltimore: 1, 7th
Tampa Bay: 3, 19th
Cleveland: 1, 27th
You say the thought matthews only creates pressure against mediocre teams is wrong, then list stats that show on average his sacks came against teams that gave up the 15th fewest sacks in the league, seems pretty much the middle of the pack there, so I’d say the mediocre statement was indeed spot on.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You say the thought matthews only creates pressure against mediocre teams is wrong, then list stats that show on average his sacks came against teams that gave up the 15th fewest sacks in the league, seems pretty much the middle of the pack there, so I’d say the mediocre statement was indeed spot on.

Maybe before you make that statement and try to put too much weight on it, you should look at who those top 15 teams were first? After you do that, look at who of those 15 teams did the Packers play against and after that, what games Clay played in and how many snaps. I will do the math for you. Clay did not get sacks in 4 games against the top 15 teams in fewest sacks allowed.

1 LA Chargers 18 Packers Did not play
2 New Orleans 20 Clay played....0 sacks
3 Atlanta 24 Clay had 1.5 sacks
Oakland 24 Packers Did not play
Pittsburgh 24 Clay Did not play
Jacksonville 24 Packers Did not play
7 Minnesota 27 Clay played 1 game....0 sacks
Baltimore 27 Clay had 1 sack on only 13 plays
9 LA Rams 28 Packers Did not play
10 Dallas 32 Clay played....0 sacks
11 Miami 33 Packers Did not play
12 NY Giants 34 Packers Did not play
13 Tennessee 35 Packers Did not play
New England 35 Packers Did not play
Carolina 35 Clay played....0 sacks

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe before you make that statement and try to put too much weight on it, you should look at who those top 15 teams were first? After you do that, look at who of those 15 teams did the Packers play against and after that, what games Clay played in and how many snaps. I will do the math for you. Clay did not get sacks in 4 games against the top 15 teams in fewest sacks allowed.

1 LA Chargers 18 Packers Did not play
2 New Orleans 20 Clay played....0 sacks
3 Atlanta 24 Clay had 1.5 sacks
Oakland 24 Packers Did not play
Pittsburgh 24 Clay Did not play
Jacksonville 24 Packers Did not play
7 Minnesota 27 Clay played 1 game....0 sacks
Baltimore 27 Clay had 1 sack on only 13 plays
9 LA Rams 28 Packers Did not play
10 Dallas 32 Clay played....0 sacks
11 Miami 33 Packers Did not play
12 NY Giants 34 Packers Did not play
13 Tennessee 35 Packers Did not play
New England 35 Packers Did not play
Carolina 35 Clay played....0 sacks
So your narrative here is that had the packers played stiffer competition than they did Matthews would of played better and put up better stats than he did against the mediocre competition?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So your narrative here is that had the packers played stiffer competition than they did Matthews would of played better and put up better stats than he did against the mediocre competition?

Not my narrative at all. Possibly your typical negative interpretation of how you read things?

I was simply pointing out to the poster, who made the statement below, that he was incorrect in his observations. Pretty simple, but you can feel free to continue to be that negative poster who wants to spin everything in a negative light, its who you are.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers should definitely not overpay to retain Matthews next offseason but as long as they don't adequately replace him there's no reason to move on from him.

Members online

Latest posts