Gute Softening Positions Of Need

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was struck by something I heard the other day about how Gute has been approaching FA and the draft. We all know that we have needs and that not all can be filled easily. However, they were talking about right tackle and wide receiver. Both were obvious needs, especially after Bulaga walked. Both positions are likely to be addressed in the draft. However, Gute has done a good job of putting a low-cost free agent in place to lessen the immediate need of the rookies. They likely won't have to play immediately because Funchess and Wagner will be there (most likely) to start the season. If a rookie seizes the opportunity, then great! If not, they have time to learn while the veterans do their thing.

We could have walked into the draft with glaring holes. Now we just have holes.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmm....thats not necessarily the message I am getting that Gute will soften on need, quite the contrary. Don't surprised when he moves up to get one of the WRs needed to replace Scantling. A Tackle to replace Bulaga is second. Blake? pff....just a guy, but a need nonetheless. I don't see Gute being laissez faire in addressing a need. He wants to win NOW - Rodgers has limited time left.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmm....thats not necessarily the message I am getting that Gute will soften on need, quite the contrary. Don't surprised when he moves up to get one of the WRs needed to replace Scantling. A Tackle to replace Bulaga is second. Blake? pff....just a guy, but a need nonetheless. I don't see Gute being laissez faire in addressing a need. He wants to win NOW - Rodgers has limited time left.

I don't take the discussion of Gute's offseason moves in that way. What Gute has done by the additions of Funchess, Wagner and Kirksey is ensure he is not PEGGED into a corner if you will at any one position. With the WR depth this class has, this could be HUGE if we don't trade and at #30 say an ILB or OT or even a CB that Gute has graded high and shouldn't be there he can pick it without feeling he did something wrong. This incredible depth I'm still a HUGE fan of trading back slighlty, getting still one of the SOLID WRs but probably walking away in day 2 with 3 awesome draft picks that project as worst case contributors at their positions - one of which I'll bet is an OL.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmm....thats not necessarily the message I am getting that Gute will soften on need
I think you missunderstood the original post. It's not the Gute himself is softening, he is softening the dire need. Teams that go into a season needing a draft pick to produce are usually in trouble. By picking up some low-end free agents in those positions, he has lessened the dire need to have a draft pick pan out in Year 1. The need is still there for sure.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Gute just adding a DL and OLB off waivers, that does give him some flexibility but with these guys not being household names I'm not sure how much effect this will have on the team long term. But the 90 will be coming together in a week so there ya go.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Gute just adding a DL and OLB off waivers, that does give him some flexibility but with these guys not being household names I'm not sure how much effect this will have on the team long term. But the 90 will be coming together in a week so there ya go.

Yup, I suspect their last year rookies we had and kept our eyes out for if they could have bang the tires they would. I actually had Gerald Willis on my late flyer UDFA list to grab as I liked him coming out of college. He is actually Landon Collins younger brother. Many had him pegged as a late Day 2 pick even, but late season injuries and missing the senior bowl or combine hurt him. Amazingly though, or sadly, he didn't make the Ravens roster after being signed by them as an UDFA and then Miami picked him up and was activated to active roster a bit.

D

Deleted member 6794

Davis and Willis both went undrafted last season and combined to play only 31 snaps for the Dolphins late in 2019. I highly doubt any of them will make the roster in September.

Members online

Latest posts