Greg Jennings Packers HOF: Yes or No

Greg Jennings, do you put him in the Green Bay Packers HALL OF FAME?

• Total voters
M

mayo44

He had some problems with Rodgers, and perhaps Ted Thompson, and he chose to leave! He left. His choice, unlike Desmond Bishop, Kampman, and Harris.

We weren't going to pay him anywhere near his market value because of our depth. Of course he left! So would the rest of the guys you mentioned if we were going to low-ball them. I'm sorry but to begrudge a player because he wasn't willing to take minimal pay to stay is just ludicrous.

M

mayo44

It is a business, but Jennings has some problems and I hope he never makes our HOF.
Like I said, you can leave classily, see Edgar Bennett, Reggie White, Robert Brooks, Aaron Kampman, Al Harris, Desmond Bishop, Antonio Freeman, etc.

He did not do that.

Sorry, but I saw no problems with how he left the team. Keep in mind the majority of the guys on your list there didn't have access to moronic things such as Twitter either.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry, but I saw no problems with how he left the team. Keep in mind the majority of the guys on your list there didn't have access to moronic things such as Twitter either.
Compare Desmond Bishop to Greg Jennings on Twitter.
And think about this: Bishop has a lot more reason to be pissed off and classy.
Not GreedyGreg.

I still love Bishop even though he's a Viking.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

So there's no possible way for me to know that Rodgers would leave for better pay, but it IS possible for you to know he wouldn't? How's that work, exactly?

And what about Reggie White? He played for Carolina when Green Bay wasn't willing to pay him. I guess he's a chump too?

Fact is that the Packers were NOT going to pay Jennings due to our depth. The idea of hating him for playing for someone willing to pay him is pretty low and petty.

Sorry but I have to butt in here. Mayo....You question how it`s not possible for YOU to know some information, and yet possible for Frank to know some other info ? and yet in a previous thread you kept doing Exactly the same thing despite at least FIVE people arguing with you, you kept pulling out fact after fact !! It`s the guys opinion. Sometimes you can come across as so patronising, sorry patronizing just incase I get another spelling lesson !. Just because somebodies opinion is different from yours man, it`s not wrong. It`s an OPINION !

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, the Vikings either overpaid or the Packers undervalued his talents. We shall see this in the years to come.
Oh man. My whole family has been in dry dock with the flu and fevers the past five days. I'm pretty sure that I'm desensitized to the warm feeling my daughters vomit running down my shoulder....

So Raptorman made an interesting statement. It could be possible for neither to be correct, meaning that with the Packers receiver corps he wasn't worth the price but with the Vikings lack of WR talent Jennings is well worth the price. We'll see over the next couple seasons

M

mayo44

Sorry but I have to butt in here.

Why am I not surprised?

Mayo....You question how it`s not possible for YOU to know some information, and yet possible for Frank to know some other info ? and yet in a previous thread you kept doing Exactly the same thing despite at least FIVE people arguing with you, you kept pulling out fact after fact !! It`s the guys opinion. Sometimes you can come across as so patronising, sorry patronizing just incase I get another spelling lesson !. Just because somebodies opinion is different from yours man, it`s not wrong. It`s an OPINION !

Yes, and OPINIONS are arguable. And his is no better than mine. And actually, no, it's quite different from that other thread. He claimed that I have no way of knowing whether Rodgers would take more money elsewhere and then he turned around and said he bet he wouldn't. I was attacking his opinion in the SAME WAY that he attacked mine. Simple, really.

I just have a quick question for you, if you don't mind. Why is it that you've taken it upon yourself to rush to defend everyone else when they're perfectly capable of doing it themselves? Seems to me you have this incessant need to play the hero around here for some reason. It's actually quite comical. I don't know how it is across the pond, but over here people generally fight their own battles. Maybe that's an American value.

M

mayo44

Compare Desmond Bishop to Greg Jennings on Twitter.
And think about this: Bishop has a lot more reason to be pissed off and classy.
Not GreedyGreg.

Okay, you keep expressing your hatred for Greg Jennings by calling him "greedy" (not a very Christian approach, BTW.) But explain to me how it is greedy to take a significantly higher pay day elsewhere when the Packers weren't going to come anywhere CLOSE to matching the offer. That's just good sense.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't give two ***** what anyone says on Twitter and, frankly, I'm perplexed as to why anyone else would or should.
Twitter beat Facebook and Google+ as the fastest-growing social network in 2012, suggests a new study from GlobalWebIndex.
Overall, Twitter is now ranked fourth amongst all social networking sites in total active users, with Google+ securing a surprising second place.
Twitter’s 40 percent jump in active users between Q2 and Q4 of last year placed the micro-blogging platform well ahead of Facebook (+33 percent) and Google+ (+27 percent).
Okay, you keep expressing your hatred for Greg Jennings by calling him "greedy" (not a very Christian approach, BTW.) But explain to me how it is greedy to take a significantly higher pay day elsewhere when the Packers weren't going to come anywhere CLOSE to matching the offer. That's just good sense.
A Christian can't have the opinion that someone is "greedy"?
That word is only for "who" to use?

And I don't hate him, and never said I did. Because I don't.

I'm just steadfast in the opinion that he chose to leave.
He could have gotten the same $ per year had he accepted an earlier offer from the Packers. But he didn't want to say in the first place, and he gambled he could get more money as well.

He would have lost that gamble, if not for the jealous (can a Christian use that term) neighbors, little brothers, to the west, MinnySota.

I just don't want guys like that into OUR Hall of Fame.
The Vikings can put him in theirs, that's great.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Why am I not surprised?

Yes, and OPINIONS are arguable. And his is no better than mine. And actually, no, it's quite different from that other thread. He claimed that I have no way of knowing whether Rodgers would take more money elsewhere and then he turned around and said he bet he wouldn't. I was attacking his opinion in the SAME WAY that he attacked mine. Simple, really.

I just have a quick question for you, if you don't mind. Why is it that you've taken it upon yourself to rush to defend everyone else when they're perfectly capable of doing it themselves? Seems to me you have this incessant need to play the hero around here for some reason. It's actually quite comical. I don't know how it is across the pond, but over here people generally fight their own battles. Maybe that's an American value.

I don`t feel the NEED to jump in and defend ANYBODY, I feel the need to point out to a gobshite like you that you are demanding validation of opinions, and yet are prepared to pull yours out of nowhere like Penn and Teller. Frank is big and ugly enough to fight his own battles I`m sure. MY problem is with a ***** like you !, and I`m quite happy to validate that one if you need it :tup:.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score

Could have sworn the difference in pay was only 1 million ?? Might not be that significant after all, huh?

and you are a massive hypocrite there pal. You want to spout off about doing things the "christian way" or accusing others of not being christian-like.....when you go on spitting insults at other members from behind a computer screen and keyboard. Wow......internet tough guy wins again right?

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Frank is big and ugly enough to fight his own battles I`m sure. :tup:.
Thank you Buggy :laugh:
LOL
Cheers mate

Yeah, Mayo, I totally disagree with you, you think I'm bad, I think you're wrong, in this issue. But I don't have any problem with your opinion of Jennings or thinking I am wrong. That's the same thing I get within my own huge family. It's all good.

Except that "UnChristian" comment. That's pretty atheist of you, and wrong.
That's below the belt.

Regular arguing with no cursing etc. is good here.

fanindaup

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let me clue you in on something. Most of the guys on our roster, or anyone else's roster for that matter, are not playing for "love of the team." They're playing because that's who is signing their paychecks. I would bet you anything that if the Packers had waited until Rodgers was a FA and some other team offered him more $$$ to play for them, he would most likely be wearing a different jersey the next season. The fact regarding Jennings is that the Packers decided it was not worth it to pay him market value because of our overall depth at WR. So he walked.

The whole notion that players should have the same "love for the team" that fans have is ludicrous. It's a business. Just because a player accepts more money to play for a different team doesn't mean they're "driven by money" either. Suppose you had been working for an employer at a given salary for seven years and suddenly you were offered a position doing the same job for another equally reputable company for a substantial pay raise. If your current employer refused to pay anywhere near that offer, would YOU stay at that company? Or should "love for the team" trump all financial considerations?

BTW, who was offering Driver more money than we were?
Interesting, since you brought up the same point I have made about understanding Greg's situation. I did the same thing personally almost exactly a year ago. I got an offer from another company which paid $2/hr. more to start than I was making after 7 years at my now former employer. Am I a traitor for taking the better pay? I think I'd have been an idiot not to take it.

fanindaup

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's more a product of the FA system than the players themselves. If the Bears had offered Nitschke double the money to play for them at the end of his initial contract would he have not taken it? I bet he would have.
Actually, after reading his book I doubt he would have ever left the Packers. Play for the Bears? Never!

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting, since you brought up the same point I have made about understanding Greg's situation. I did the same thing personally almost exactly a year ago. I got an offer from another company which paid $2/hr. more to start than I was making after 7 years at my now former employer. Am I a traitor for taking the better pay? I think I'd have been an idiot not to take it.
Comparing our jobs to the multi-millionaire pro football players is impossible.

We don't have millions of fans around our company, cheering us on, buying our jerseys, etc. The fans fuel the game, the $ in the game.

Those guys, Jennings in particular, make more money just for pitching products, endorsing whatever he can in commercials.

Look, I said Jennings had problems with the Packers, with Rodgers.......mayo44 didn't buy it because he hasn't gotten confirmation.

Jennings was offered more money last year by the Packers (per year) than what he ended up getting from the Vikings, although they added another year..... bottom line in this case is that it wasn't all about money, it was also about him wanting to leave our organization. Whether it was because he didn't get along with Rodgers or others, or because he didn't like being just one of a great core of receivers and he wanted to be the man.... regardless, he wanted out and many people saw this last year... his big mouthed sister was speaking for him. Just in her own stupid way.

Good results here by you smart fans.
72% said thanks but no thanks to Jennings.
Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as I know the packers hof is about what you did while you were a packer. With that criteria he's in. If we are to take into account other things I don't see how people that are adamant Jennings shouldn't be in, would feel favre should be in either.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...because ivo610, when fans get their feelings hurt by former players they argue for banning those players from the HOF. I don't understand it

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...because ivo610, when fans get their feelings hurt by former players they argue for banning those players from the HOF. I don't understand it

Yeah he's a *****. Self centered and vengeful. I am all for never retiring favres number bc of how he acted but I would never advocate keeping him out of the team hof for it. Jennings is the same way. Not as big of a ***** or as vengeful but not as big of a star either.

I remember forum members jocking Jennings and saying he was better than fitz. Even saying they wouldn't trade him for any WR in the league.

fanindaup

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Comparing our jobs to the multi-millionaire pro football players is impossible.

We don't have millions of fans around our company, cheering us on, buying our jerseys, etc. The fans fuel the game, the $ in the game.

Those guys, Jennings in particular, make more money just for pitching products, endorsing whatever he can in commercials.

Look, I said Jennings had problems with the Packers, with Rodgers.......mayo44 didn't buy it because he hasn't gotten confirmation.

Jennings was offered more money last year by the Packers (per year) than what he ended up getting from the Vikings, although they added another year..... bottom line in this case is that it wasn't all about money, it was also about him wanting to leave our organization. Whether it was because he didn't get along with Rodgers or others, or because he didn't like being just one of a great core of receivers and he wanted to be the man.... regardless, he wanted out and many people saw this last year... his big mouthed sister was speaking for him. Just in her own stupid way.

Good results here by you smart fans.
72% said thanks but no thanks to Jennings.
Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya.
Frank, please don't read more into my post than what I was directly commenting on, which was the economic aspect of the decision.

Yes, the Packers made him a more generous offer before the season than what he got from the Vikings. At that time, I assume Greg made the gamble he would get a better offer. He then spent most of the season on the sideline, so no such offer was forthcoming. Tough **** Greg. Them's the breaks. He played the market and lost. The Packers pulled that offer when he declined it and allowed him to play the market, then offered him a reasonable contract to attempt to keep him. Frankly (no pun intended) in my opinion more than he was worth. The Vikings offered him more. Personally, I would not play for the Vikings at any price, but I am a fan, not a professional football player.
The comparison I made is definitely relevant from a purely economic perspective. This country was made great by people leveraging their talents to the highest bidder. It's the primary motivator for people to excel. We shouldn't expect athletes to have the same feelings for their teams the way we do. For them it's primarily about the money. Those that do, such as DD, are the exception, not the rule.
My post was not meant to account for Greg's seemingly sour disposition, his sister's comments, etc. It was what it was, just admonishing people for being mad at Greg for his decision from an economic standpoint.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The fans have spoken, and they say about what Jennings himself said: Thanks, but that's the end of that.
The guy seemed relieved to leave for some reason.
Good for him.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
If Chewy made it in, Jennings will

Looking at how long it takes to be entered in, it might be 15-20 years since he joined the Packers... Took Levens 15 years William Henderson 16...Holmgren 20 years

2022 or later would be my guess when he gets in

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts