Greg Jennings Packers HOF: Yes or No

Greg Jennings, do you put him in the Green Bay Packers HALL OF FAME?

• Total voters

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Too hypothetical to even try to guess. He had a good game and two TDs (including a nice grab behind Troy P's swipe), but it wasn't like he was a dominant force that took over the game. I recall Nelson having a better overall game and presence.

So, this alone is not enough for me for to vote yes on HOF.

Two touchdowns and the second most important play of the game. Deep in our own territory, 7 min left 3rd and 10 leading by 3. Rodgers throws a rocket over the middle, Ike Taylor gets a fingertip on the ball and Jennings plucks the rocket out of the air for a 31 yard game. To me that sealed the deal. He doesn't make that catch we may not win that Superbowl.

Packer fan forever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's why we like having the Brits on the forum here. They keep us rag-tag colonists cordial :D

For those who may have forgotten about the biggest "traitor" of them all, Reggie White spurned the Eagles to come play for us. His fans and team wanted him to stay but he left for more money and a chance to build a championship team in Green Bay. You know what's also interesting. The Eagles inducted Reggie into their Honor Roll in 2006. Interesting to think that Philly fans might have more class than Packers fans.

Here is part of an article that I found about White and the landmark decision to open up free agency: http://www.nytimes.com/1993/03/04/s...ggie-white-s-tour-plans-stop-on-jets-pad.html

...and let me just add one more point about the GJ situation and his exit from Green Bay. While I love just about everything about the way TT runs the team, I fully recognize that he's got a terrible bedside manner - maybe equal to Doc Martin's (that's for you Buggy). We've seen quite a few players leave the Packers not feeling "loved" enough, starting with Favre and now Jennings being the latest. TT runs a cold, hard organization that keeps the team competitive and winning each season, but it also tends to generate some animosity.

I'll also lay down a cash bet with anyone that thinks there will be any less than 10 hugs and high-fives between Jennings and other Packer players when the Packers/Vikings play their first game. There is still lots of love and respect among the people that really matter.

When GJ referred to Aaron as "the current quarterback" or whatever he called him, I think it is safe to say there were some personal and/or locker room issues. Not sure about a lot of hugs when they play MN.

Packer fan forever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let me clue you in on something. Most of the guys on our roster, or anyone else's roster for that matter, are not playing for "love of the team." They're playing because that's who is signing their paychecks. I would bet you anything that if the Packers had waited until Rodgers was a FA and some other team offered him more $$$ to play for them, he would most likely be wearing a different jersey the next season. The fact regarding Jennings is that the Packers decided it was not worth it to pay him market value because of our overall depth at WR. So he walked.

The whole notion that players should have the same "love for the team" that fans have is ludicrous. It's a business. Just because a player accepts more money to play for a different team doesn't mean they're "driven by money" either. Suppose you had been working for an employer at a given salary for seven years and suddenly you were offered a position doing the same job for another equally reputable company for a substantial pay raise. If your current employer refused to pay anywhere near that offer, would YOU stay at that company? Or should "love for the team" trump all financial considerations?

BTW, who was offering Driver more money than we were?

Unfortunately, you are right. It's too bad, too. Lombardi's Packers still remain loyal to the team to this day. It wasn't about money then - they hardly made any - it was about pride in what the team accomplished. We have lost something wonderful about football.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

What does that even mean? I've seen the word thrown around in MMA circles as well. Makes zero sense to me.
We have an expression here "Monkey Spanker" or "chicken strangler", but I don`t think they mean the same thing !!.....:D
"Barclays banker" is another one.....lol

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When GJ referred to Aaron as "the current quarterback" or whatever he called him, I think it is safe to say there were some personal and/or locker room issues. Not sure about a lot of hugs when they play MN.

It doesn't sound like you read any of the reports after that, which all stated that the two were joking. Here is one article but feel free to search for all of the others:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...ennings-feud-with-packers-rodgers-just-a-joke
Aaron Rodgers and James Jones of the Green Bay Packers have taken a few good-natured jabs atGreg Jennings since the wide receiver defected to the division rival Minnesota Vikings. Jennings responded by telling the St. Paul Pioneer Press that he would take Brett Favre over "the guy they have now" at quarterback.
Jennings' reply raised speculation that a feud was brewing between one of the most successful quarterback-receiver combinations of the past half decade. The reality is just another incident in a long history of teammates and former teammates clowning each other.
"I have no ill feelings for anyone over there," Jennings wrote in Saturday's edition of the Pioneer Press. "We're just back and forth. (Rodgers) jokes. I joke."

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What does that even mean? I've seen the word thrown around in MMA circles as well. Makes zero sense to me.
GOAT = Greatest Of All Time.

Rodgers stats, passer rating, is the best the NFL has ever seen.
Jennings had the privilege of playing with that for 5 years (although he's missed a lot of games the past 1 1/2 years of that), and he had the benefit of playing with Favre for his first couple. Not bad.
No Brady Quinns, Kevin Kolbs, Colt McCoys, Jaguars, Dolphins, Jake Lockers, etc.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Jennings had the privilege of playing with that for 5 years (although he's missed a lot of games the past 1 1/2 years of that), and he had the benefit of playing with Favre for his first couple. Not bad.
No Brady Quinns, Kevin Kolbs, Colt McCoys, Jaguars, Dolphins, Jake Lockers, etc.
Nope, my examples definitely don`t mean that....lol

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Glad you illuminated that for me. I had a totally different idea of what it meant via the movie "Waiting" :eek:

M

mayo44

Unfortunately, you are right. It's too bad, too. Lombardi's Packers still remain loyal to the team to this day. It wasn't about money then - they hardly made any - it was about pride in what the team accomplished. We have lost something wonderful about football.

That's more a product of the FA system than the players themselves. If the Bears had offered Nitschke double the money to play for them at the end of his initial contract would he have not taken it? I bet he would have.

M

mayo44

Your argument MAY be sound enough, but your opening line was a bit patronising "Let me clue you in on something" ??? Osh might not share your opinion on this subject like you and I are on opposite sides of the fence about Favre. As this one stands I ACTUALLY agree with you, but that doesn`t mean an opposite opinion is 100% wrong. Just my two cents worth

Relax. It's just a rhetorical device. We Yanks do it all the time. Keep calm and carry on, brother.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I think that was his way of getting back at Rodgers for when Rodgers said "Who" when a reporter ask him about Jennings. I would bet that at he first game they shake hands and do the man hug thing football players do.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Let me clue you in on something. Most of the guys on our roster, or anyone else's roster for that matter, are not playing for "love of the team." They're playing because that's who is signing their paychecks. I would bet you anything that if the Packers had waited until Rodgers was a FA and some other team offered him more $$$ to play for them, he would most likely be wearing a different jersey the next season. The fact regarding Jennings is that the Packers decided it was not worth it to pay him market value because of our overall depth at WR. So he walked.

The whole notion that players should have the same "love for the team" that fans have is ludicrous. It's a business. Just because a player accepts more money to play for a different team doesn't mean they're "driven by money" either. Suppose you had been working for an employer at a given salary for seven years and suddenly you were offered a position doing the same job for another equally reputable company for a substantial pay raise. If your current employer refused to pay anywhere near that offer, would YOU stay at that company? Or should "love for the team" trump all financial considerations?

BTW, who was offering Driver more money than we were?

Let me clue YOU in to something. Guys who continue to play for the packers for extended periods of time are not just driven by money to play the game. GB is a tiny town in a basically otherwise boring state. They stay (not only for the money that they get paid on a comparison basis basically), they stay for many other reasons. They love the small town feel, they LOVE the fans, they love the idea of playing for a storied and historical team. Also, if some player was playing for, let's say, the NYG and was making 4 million per season and then had to turn around and spend 1/4 of his pay each year on a place to live and NY city expenses -vs- living in or near GB where your money goes 10 times farther ....hhhmmmmmmm.......no brainer for me. Cost of living goes a long way in my book as well, and we are only one of a few teams that can do that. Yes, nowadays money is a driving factor, and there is no possible way to know if Arod would have went to another team if offered a better chunk of change, but I am willing to bet that he would not have departed due to a minor change in pay, 10's of millions or more, anyone would, but not for a couple million. Plus our front office aint that damn stupid.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I talked to a guy last week who had a tryout for the Packers this spring.
A longshot, undrafted OC/OG from SMU.
From here in Texas.

He didn't make it, but he said he LOVED everything about the Packers up there, from the team to the structure, the environment, etc.
He is white, and it's true many inner-city African's don't like the quiet scene there (although it's getting noisier as more from Milwaukee, Chicago migrate up there).

But for the guys Ted drafts, and he does it great, he gets mostly guys who are about football, not the thug life and what not.
His only miss, I think, was Jolly right?

It is a business, but Jennings has some problems and I hope he never makes our HOF.
Like I said, you can leave classily, see Edgar Bennett, Reggie White, Robert Brooks, Aaron Kampman, Al Harris, Desmond Bishop, Antonio Freeman, etc.

He did not do that.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let me clue YOU in to something. Guys who continue to play for the packers for extended periods of time are not just driven by money to play the game. GB is a tiny town in a basically otherwise boring state. They stay (not only for the money that they get paid on a comparison basis basically), they stay for many other reasons. They love the small town feel, they LOVE the fans, they love the idea of playing for a storied and historical team. Also, if some player was playing for, let's say, the NYG and was making 4 million per season and then had to turn around and spend 1/4 of his pay each year on a place to live and NY city expenses -vs- living in or near GB where your money goes 10 times farther ....hhhmmmmmmm.......no brainer for me. Cost of living goes a long way in my book as well, and we are only one of a few teams that can do that. Yes, nowadays money is a driving factor, and there is no possible way to know if Arod would have went to another team if offered a better chunk of change, but I am willing to bet that he would not have departed due to a minor change in pay, 10's of millions or more, anyone would, but not for a couple million. Plus our front office aint that damn stupid.

I couldn't agree more. The absolute only reason I stay living in the Chicago area, is because of the job market. If people get laid off around here, there a lot more opportunities to get back to work, in a large metro area. That said, that's about the only good thing. Everything else SUCKS. Read the Chicago papers sometime. Every single day, another story about some idiot menace loser shooting people, everywhere - they don't care. These idiots breed more kids than they can afford to have, and then let them all run rampant, with zero morals or values, with regards to the rest of society. It sickens me.

So, if I were blessed to play in the NFL, I'd prefer Green Bay or a smaller market. If it weren't for the job thing, you could stick me in a tiny town of 50 people, on a 100-acre ranch, away from all this bullsh*t, and I'd be happy as a pig rolling in sh*t.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is a business, but Jennings has some problems and I hope he never makes our HOF.
Like I said, you can leave classily, see Edgar Bennett, Reggie White, Robert Brooks, Aaron Kampman, Al Harris, Desmond Bishop, Antonio Freeman, etc.

He did not do that.
So let me get this straight. Jennings got "uppity" and therefore discredited all of the great play and effort he put forth as a Packer? That's your argument?

So if any player even insinuates one bad thought about the team you love, then you believe that they should be blacklisted from the Packers HOF? Get REAL. That is the most ludicrous line of thinking I could ever imagine. Your entitled to it, but it seems completely devoid of rational thought.

We will really have to agree to disagree on this one

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So let me get this straight. Jennings got "uppity" and therefore discredited all of the great play and effort he put forth as a Packer? That's your argument?

So if any player even insinuates one bad thought about the team you love, then you believe that they should be blacklisted from the Packers HOF? Get REAL.

That is the most ludicrous line of thinking I could ever imagine.
Your entitled to it, but it seems completely devoid of rational thought.

We will really have to agree to disagree on this one
The HOF is a "subjective" thing.
It's not like the LPGA Tour where you win a certain # of tournaments in a career, you're in.

Like some think Pete Rose should never be in because he gambled, some thing that has nothing to do with his great play and effort on the field.

It wasn't only Jennings insinuating one bad thought.
He had some problems with Rodgers, and perhaps Ted Thompson, and he chose to leave! He left. His choice, unlike Desmond Bishop, Kampman, and Harris.

And not just leave and go anywhere, but he went to our bitter and jealous little sister rivals.

For all that, considering his numbers are borderline, not blown away greatness like Driver, Sterling, Lofton, I leave Jennings out of our Hall.

Let the Vikings add him to theirs.

Plenty of rational reasoning, you might disagree.
Look at the % on this poll and others on the webosphere. Plenty seem to agree, whatever their reasoning.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please enlighten me to his problem with Rodgers....and don't bring up the fun they've been having with the media and fans. Nobody knows if it's real or them playing with the fans/media. Knowing both of their personalities, it's the latter IMO.

So the Vikings are your bitter rival. You know that most of these guys are friends with each other. Rodgers and Cutler are friends. Many of these guys are friends with AP and others. They don't treat the rivalry the same as any of us. The coaches may juice them up on game day, but in the end it's just another team with brother football players. Bitter rival...pshaw. There is no nastiness or animosity between these teams, except for when Randy Moss mooned the stadium.

I also dispute your evidence. The majority of the people in your poll may not think that he'll make it into the HOF, but that's no guarantee that they believe it because of his "attitude issues" versus just stats.

I'm enjoying all of this!

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GJ was our best WR in one of our best eras.

Add that to his 421 catch, his SB performance, and him playing on the #2 offense of all time and you have enough to call him a Packers HOFer.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please enlighten me to his problem with Rodgers....and don't bring up the fun they've been having with the media and fans. Nobody knows if it's real or them playing with the fans/media. Knowing both of their personalities, it's the latter IMO.
Did you forget about the comments that came from his sister last season?

Members online

Latest posts