Grant could return to Packers, but RB will hit free agency

News Bot

News Bot
Reaction score
The Packers have told running back Ryan Grant that they are interested in bringing him back, but they aren't expected to make an offer before free agency starts and Grant will explore other options starting March 13.

Source: JSOnline.com

Rocky11

Superbowl bound Pack
Reaction score
I always liked Grant. According to the article he was looking healed up toward the end of the season. I agree with that. If he stays healthy I think he will do alright.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've never been a huge fan of his running style, too much get hit and fall down instead of pushing the pocket forward. He's had some fantastic runs and good seasons with the Pack, but not enough to keep him around, even at a reduced price. TT didn't bring Green back when he was declining, and most likely wont bring Grant back either.

Reaction score
I've never been a huge fan of his running style, too much get hit and fall down instead of pushing the pocket forward. He's had some fantastic runs and good seasons with the Pack, but not enough to keep him around, even at a reduced price. TT didn't bring Green back when he was declining, and most likely wont bring Grant back either.
He did technically bring Green back... remember back in 2009? After 2 pretty below average seasons with the Texans, we signed him to a 1 year deal.

Reaction score
yeah, forgot, but he didn't do much and was at the end of his NFL career
Exactly. It wasn't the TT way.. Why exactly did he put Green on the roster who only had 1 td (a 1 yard rushing touchdown) when he would usually go the way of putting some undrafted free agent runningback? (If he did it with Green, he will do it with Grant (if cheap) since Grant is now back to 100% after his season ending surgery.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO Thompson is playing this and the Wells situation exactly as he should. Let the market decide what each players' value is and then decide their value to the Packers. I don't think the Packers will offer more than $1M per year to Grant and I don't think they'll offer more than three years. I have no idea what other teams will offer him. I hope the Packers talking with the agents of other OCs wasn't just a signal to Wells that they have other options.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly. It wasn't the TT way.. Why exactly did he put Green on the roster who only had 1 td (a 1 yard rushing touchdown) when he would usually go the way of putting some undrafted free agent runningback? (If he did it with Green, he will do it with Grant (if cheap) since Grant is now back to 100% after his season ending surgery.

well Wynn was put on IR and that was the reason they brought him back.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4582246

Reaction score
well Wynn was put on IR and that was the reason they brought him back.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4582246
It really doesn't matter who was injured that brought back Green. Since Wynn was injured, Ted could have easily picked up another runningback in free agency that was young and unproven to try out. Went Grant was injured in 2010, we picked up Dimitri Nance (RB)(Rookie) and Jarius Wynn (DE)(2nd Year drafted by us in 6th round 2009). They could have resigned Wynn (the DE) back in 2009 but they decided to go RB/veteran instead. It just shows TT would be willing to sign veterans to short and cheap contracts which is what I think Thompson will do with Grant.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would tell him to go make his money and if no one wants to pay him much then he can come back after the draft at the league minimum and battle for a spot.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It really doesn't matter who was injured that brought back Green. Since Wynn was injured, Ted could have easily picked up another runningback in free agency that was young and unproven to try out. Went Grant was injured in 2010, we picked up Dimitri Nance (RB)(Rookie) and Jarius Wynn (DE)(2nd Year drafted by us in 6th round 2009). They could have resigned Wynn (the DE) back in 2009 but they decided to go RB/veteran instead. It just shows TT would be willing to sign veterans to short and cheap contracts which is what I think Thompson will do with Grant.

I'm not saying that he won't bring guys back if they can help the team, but Grant's going to be looking for money and wont get it in Green Bay, unless it's for league minimum, like others have said. It may largely depend on what TT does in the draft as well, if we get another RB then Grant wont be back at all.

Reaction score
I'm not saying that he won't bring guys back if they can help the team, but Grant's going to be looking for money and wont get it in Green Bay, unless it's for league minimum, like others have said. It may largely depend on what TT does in the draft as well, if we get another RB then Grant wont be back at all.
Being a Super Bowl contender for the next few years is a huge factor in Grant's decision. Unless some other team gives him a very generous contract, he will remain a Packer

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Being a Super Bowl contender for the next few years is a huge factor in Grant's decision. Unless some other team gives him a very generous contract, he will remain a Packer

like I said, it'll largely depend on what TT does in the draft. I don't expect him to get a contract till then unless it's from someone else.

Reaction score
like I said, it'll largely depend on what TT does in the draft. I don't expect him to get a contract till then unless it's from someone else.
True. With Alex Green coming back from injury he will most likely either get a running back really late in the draft or get one from free agency.

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Grant I would let go and see if can make a deal Brandon Jacobs, with Starks would be a good 1 2

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brandon Jacobs wouldn't be a bad pick up if he didn't have such an attitude problem. At least he doesn't go down on the first hit.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It depends on how much Jacobs wants. At age 29 he might be good for a 2-year contract. He didn't have a great season last year, not like he did in 2010.

Acquiring Jacobs would certainly mean letting go of Grant, and Clifton, and Walden, but we sort of expect that anyways. The question is still Wells. If we let him go we need a center. Can't rely on Dietrich-Smith. Zeitler as a draft pick is being thrown around. We'd have to get him in the 2nd round and might have to trade up, because by the end of the 2nd round he will probably be gone.

The question I have is whether Jacobs is the punishing power runner that could really help us. Some say he plays soft for his size.

If he can be that, then signing him for a reasonable contract, getting a top pass rusher like Perry or Branch in round 1 plus a trade up for Zeitler in round 2 could have the makings of a good off-season.

Sirscorps

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Ahman Green had a TON more miles on him & suffered an ACL injury among some other not so severe injuries throughout the years, so the comparison is apples to oranges. On the other side, Grant will never be mistaken for Ahman, lol. He was an elite rb for @ least a few seasons. Anyway, even though Grant is 29, he didn't actually play in the pros until he was 25 (has 924 attempts & 92 catches.) Also, he's been much more durable that Starks, Green & Saine, doesn't fumble & can basically do it all. He's a 3 down rb, but I do agree that he's not the same guy that he was in '07 & '08 but he has tread left for @ least 2 more seasons. Alexander Green is coming off of a major knee injury so who knows how he'll respond. It takes 2 years to come back from that injury, physically & mentally. Grant reminds me of Dorsey Levens except not as powerful in the legs, not as good as a pass-catcher, but is a bit faster & can break the long run. If GB doesn't sign Grant, they better draft another rb between the 2nd & 4th rounds.

Sirscorps

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Probably cause Green knew the offense. He played pretty well in the limited playing time that he had in his last season.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
It's time for him to go.

Starks is the future, and you all know that is true. He is our primary back, as he should be.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Off hand does anyone know how much Grant counts against the cap if the Packers keep him. Right now they have about 7 million in cap space (which really isn't a lot). Would freeing up Grant's cap figures be significant?

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts