good season

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only on the Internet could people find a reason not to kick the extra point and go for two.
Why is it ridiculous to not go for 2 and the win? Why shouldn't MM trust that his offense to get 2 yards on 1 play to win the game? Does it make more sense to trust that his ST won't allow a run back TD, if that doesn't happen that his defense will not allow the other team to score a TD but kick a FG? Then if that happens that his offense can march 80+ yards down field and score a TD for the win?

2004 playoffs against the Eagles Mike Sherman's offensive line was destroying the Eagles run D, Ahman Green ran for 156 yards, and on 4th & 1 Sherman chose to play it safe and punt, giving up control of the ball, and eventually losing after the dreaded 4th & 26 Eagles conversion.

Why give up control of the game and trust that 4 other things go right when you could keep control in your own hands? MM should've gone for 2 and the win. If you can't trust your team to rise up and get 2 yards why would you trust them to keep AZ out of the end zone, or your offense to move the ball without significant penalty or error to win 5, 10 or 15 minutes later?

“I play to win,” Arians said. For the second straight season GB is out of the playoffs because MM plays not to lose.

Last edited:

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why is it ridiculous to not go for 2 and the win? Why shouldn't MM trust that his offense to get 2 yards on 1 play to win the game? Does it make more sense to trust that his ST won't allow a run back TD, if that doesn't happen that his defense will not allow the other team to score a TD but kick a FG? Then if that happens that his offense can march 80+ yards down field and score a TD for the win?

2004 playoffs against the Eagles Mike Sherman's offensive line was destroying the Eagles run D, Ahman Green ran for 156 yards, and on 4th & 1 Sherman chose to play it safe and punt, giving up control of the ball, and eventually losing after the dreaded 4th & 26 Eagles conversion.

Why give up control of the game and trust that 4 other things go right when you could keep control in your own hands? MM should've gone for 2 and the win. If you can't trust your team to rise up and get 2 yards why would you trust them to keep AZ out of the end zone, or your offense to move the ball without significant penalty or error to win 5, 10 or 15 minutes later?

“I play to win,” Arians said. For the second straight season GB is out of the playoffs because MM plays not to lose.

While watching the game, I had a strong consideration for going for 2. At that point in the game, the Packers are riding high and the Cardinals are shell-shocked (even though I believe "momentum is mostly BS). In factual analysis, the offense was struggling. The offense was down to three receives, two of which entered the game with 11 combined receptions. Larry Fitzgerald was running wild and catching everything. Going for 2 was NOT out of the question based on what has happening in game.

MadCat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could live with a blowout easier than I can live with this loss. To have Rodgers take the offense 90+ yards for the game tying TD with just 23 seconds on the clock, and to have the defense play lights out the entire game, and then the D gives up that huge 1st play in OT that basically cost GB the game was like someone pulling down the pants of all Packers fans in front of a crowd, and then kicking us in the nuts. The only explanation I can come up with for the Packers and their fans having to suffer through our season ending in this fashion 2 years in a row is the football Gods must hate us...
Me before the game: "I just hope we play a good competitive game and don't get blown out and embarrassed again."
Me after the game: "I would rather have lost by 50."

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jeff Janis literally had 101 yards receiving on a single drive. I'd like some historian to confirm if that is in fact an NFL record.

Last edited:

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Its the exact same people that would be livid if they went for two and missed. MM would get crucified if that happened. You take the point and take your chances in OT. It's hindsight at its finest.

And yes I would've trusted our D and STs. They played great untill that final drive and the offense had shown it can move the ball. It's not like we got outclassed. They simply made one more play than us.

As for Arians and his "playing to win" he made a completely stupid decision doing what so many have campaigned for by throwing it and not running an extra 40 seconds off. His decision put his team in that position. It was stupid. Just cause he got away with it doesn't excuse it. Same thing with BB having Brady throw in simple fashion and having a pick 6 dropped but hey they were "playing to win" as if MM was just saying to himself I want to go on vacation early

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its the exact same people that would be livid if they went for two and missed. MM would get crucified if that happened. You take the point and take your chances in OT. It's hindsight at its finest.

And yes I would've trusted our D and STs. They played great untill that final drive and the offense had shown it can move the ball. It's not like we got outclassed. They simply made one more play than us.

As for Arians and his "playing to win" he made a completely stupid decision doing what so many have campaigned for by throwing it and not running an extra 40 seconds off. His decision put his team in that position. It was stupid. Just cause he got away with it doesn't excuse it. Same thing with BB having Brady throw in simple fashion and having a pick 6 dropped but hey they were "playing to win" as if MM was just saying to himself I want to go on vacation early

It's not hindsight if I was saying it at the time, which I was, and I've already layed out the percentages of why the 2 was very arguably the better choice.

It's fine if you disagree but just because yes, MM would have been crucified if it failed (he also would have been glorified if it worked) doesn't make it the wrong call.

In fact it's kind of silly to call something ridiculous when basic math and statistics actually confirms that it was slightly the better choice.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jeff Janis literally had 101 yards receiving on a single drive. I'd like some historian to confirm if that is in fact an NFL record.

Heh, Chris Berman mentioned that earlier. Said if you saw a line of 2 catches for 101 yards on the same drive you'd think it was a CFL game with their longer field.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought our conversion rate on critical short yardage situations (i.e. 3rd and short) was really bad this year, so that's why you don't go for 2.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was an interesting season for sure. I like how this team battled back through injuries and inefficiencies. To make it into the playoffs was impressive. To be one coin toss/2pt conversion/play away from the NFC title game was incredible for this team.

Some people look at the dysfunction in the offense, get angry, and look for people to blame and fire. I look at a team that had problems and continually found ways to improve when most counted them down and out. The team and coaching can improve, and there will be changes, but we still have a solid core and heart.

I still love the Green Bay Packers.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
It's not hindsight if I was saying it at the time, which I was, and I've already layed out the percentages of why the 2 was very arguably the better choice.

It's fine if you disagree but just because yes, MM would have been crucified if it failed (he also would have been glorified if it worked) doesn't make it the wrong call.

In fact it's kind of silly to call something ridiculous when basic math and statistics actually confirms that it was slightly the better choice.

what is the stat of visiting team % for 2 pt?

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate phyric victiries... however momentum into next season by way of young players is important. Especially "big game" experience.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what is the stat of visiting team % for 2 pt?

Can't find it, don't know if there's a home/road disparity or not. The overall rate is 48.2%. It's worth noting that it's 61.7% on running plays.

I would have gone shotgun and tried to shock them with a QB draw with Rodgers. Fully admitting it might not have worked. But that would have been my call.

Was there ever a situation where a fake XP would have been more gutsy and shocking? Obviously you'd only do it if you saw a weakness on ST film like the Seahawks burned us with last year.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
actually it's going to be interesting because you have to wonder given adam's lackluster performance this year, mont's injury, and abby performing well this season who will be the starters. will it be nelson, cobb, abby, mont or nelson, cobb, adams, mont? or will they keep jones and have him start instead of adams. it's going to be very interesting and thrilling knowing we got so much talent for wide receivers. if they stay healthy!

also hope they put lacy on a diet. his fall/slip during that one run was very "lacy" to say the least.

Depth chart wise, there could be some big movers so yeah, that's interesting. I don't think we will be wondering who will make the cut though and that's what I meant.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes. Victory is quite literally part of the definition of the phrase.

I was thinking more so the display of all time great throws in spite of the Packers actually losing. The general concensus seems to point to Rodger's clutch play with the loss to the Cardinals an afterthought. Rodgers play last night is considered a victory. Packers were "supposed" to lose.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts