Go For 2 ... No More Playing For OT

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm tired of this team putting their fate in the hands of a stupid coin toss. Why do we gotta do that? Also, with that little time left, there'll be more pressure on the opposing team's kicker to either make a 60-yard FG, or go for a hail mary.

I say no more playing for OT, we get jinxed. Go For 2.

Packers lost the coin toss, won the game in OT.

Next.

D

Deleted member 6794

I just think it's funny people around here don't even know that going for 2 is actually starting to become a mainstream trend in the league.

There have only been a total of four two point attempts with teams being down by one point in the last minute of a game since the start of last season.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I just think it's funny people around here don't even know that going for 2 is actually starting to become a mainstream trend in the league.
Well, yeah, but not with 17 seconds remaining in the 4th quarter when a successful extra point guarantees the game be extended.

If you can provide statistics that show most teams are opting to go for 2 and the win in that situation, versus taking the extra point and playing for overtime then you would have a point. But I don't have to see those numbers because I already know what it will show.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just because a few teams have tried it does not make it a mainstream trend. The league actually reduced the OT period from 15 minutes to 10 this year in response specifically to last years unusually high number of OTs that went the distance.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, yeah, but not with 17 seconds remaining in the 4th quarter when a successful extra point guarantees the game be extended.

If you can provide statistics that show most teams are opting to go for 2 and the win in that situation, versus taking the extra point and playing for overtime then you would have a point. But I don't have to see those numbers because I already know what it will show.

Fortunately this last Sunday we were playing against the Bungles who've had issues with their offensive line all season and in this one time, our D gave Rodgers the ball and for the first time ever ... we won in OT in the Rodgers era.

But trust me, if this was Atlanta or somebody with a quick-strike offense they were running against us, I'd never take a chance that they win an OT coin toss. Never ever. If I'm MM and we score a TD with 17 seconds left to trail 1 point against them, I go for 2 every time.

D

Deleted member 6794

Fortunately this last Sunday we were playing against the Bungles who've had issues with their offensive line all season and in this one time, our D gave Rodgers the ball and for the first time ever ... we won in OT in the Rodgers era.

But trust me, if this was Atlanta or somebody with a quick-strike offense they were running against us, I'd never take a chance that they win an OT coin toss. Never ever. If I'm MM and we score a TD with 17 seconds left to trail 1 point against them, I go for 2 every time.

I guess you would be one of McCarthy's harshest critics if the Packers end up losing by not converting the two point attempt though.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just because a few teams have tried it does not make it a mainstream trend. The league actually reduced the OT period from 15 minutes to 10 this year in response specifically to last years unusually high number of OTs that went the distance.

It's a start, but that coin toss has absolutely got to go.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What do you suggest? Alphabetical by starting QB first name?

Have the refs kick a 50/50 onside kick and make the teams have to fight for the ball. At least then they're earning it and not relying on a silly guessing game with a coin being flipped.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have the refs kick a 50/50 onside kick and make the teams have to fight for the ball. At least then they're earning it and not relying on a silly guessing game with a coin being flipped.
Okay, you must have been an XFL fan.

I can see this now, complaints that the refs kicked it to the opposing team's best hands guy and we get 3 guys injured on the play. No thanks.