Geronimo Allison Hype.

D

Deleted member 6794

If I've said it once I've said it 100 times, he has 4 career regular season catches... FOUR. I never have and never will understand the hype around him. You're telling me they can't find a fast guy to run down the field and is willing to tackle a punt returner? Come on. I don't care if he's good on special teams, we found out the hard way last year how the WR's look when we have guys who can't play the position and he was exhibit A.

It seems you have already forgotten about the dreadful performance of the special teams in 2014. Players excelling in that phase of the game aren't that easy to find and the reason why Janis will most likely make the final roster.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems you have already forgotten about the dreadful performance of the special teams in 2014. Players excelling in that phase of the game aren't that easy to find and the reason why Janis will most likely make the final roster.

It seems you have forgotten how bad the WR's were last year.

So you're telling me that Jeff Janis is the reason for the turnaround from 2014 to 2015? Come on Captain, you're smarter than that. Look, I will not argue that he is a good gunner but is that really worth the roster spot? IMO no it's not and I think you can find someone to make special teams tackles. Maybe I'm devaluing that aspect of the game but I just can't get past his proven lack of ability to play WR.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still haven't seen any glowing reports about Adams. I know that a lot of folks here think that TT will never, ever cut a player that he drafted until long after the case has been made against him. However, there are spots to be had at the WR position.

Convincing a WR to play ******* special teams isn't tough. However, getting one to tackle a punt returner is a much taller order. If Janis is doing that, you'd better beat him at that game as well.

D

Deleted member 6794

It seems you have forgotten how bad the WR's were last year.

So you're telling me that Jeff Janis is the reason for the turnaround from 2014 to 2015? Come on Captain, you're smarter than that. Look, I will not argue that he is a good gunner but is that really worth the roster spot? IMO no it's not and I think you can find someone to make special teams tackles. Maybe I'm devaluing that aspect of the game but I just can't get past his proven lack of ability to play WR.

With Nelson hopefully returning to full strength and the receivers having a designated position coach once again I expect the unit's performance to significantly improve this season. In addition I don't want Janis to make the roster as a WR but a special teams player.

While he for sure isn't the only reason the performance on special teams improved in 2015 he was a major part of it.

There are seven guys being inactive every single game and I don't mind having Janis make the 53 instead of any of them.

I still haven't seen any glowing reports about Adams. I know that a lot of folks here think that TT will never, ever cut a player that he drafted until long after the case has been made against him. However, there are spots to be had at the WR position.

There haven't been any glowing reports about Adams during training camp so far but he has performed on a higher level than Janis and Davis and for sure make the team. It seems he has had troubles separating from defensive backs, something he has to improve on to get significant playing time during the season.

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IANADr but IIRC last season's "injury" was a concussion from slamming his head in the first week of practice. Body size or mass or ligaments and bones had no bearing on that.

Right, but adding body mass is not going to help prevent concussions either which he's prone to. I was just saying that adding more weight might stress ligaments if he's not used to playing that heavy. He's had foot and hamstring injuries as well.

Really though the concussions scare the F out of me.

Packers907

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Allison's size does add appeal. 6'3 200 lbs with good hands, hard to turn down but I agree that Abby is a more polished receiver with more experience with the Pack. Will be interesting to see if Allison makes a splash in preseason. Been hearing a lot of good things.

D

Deleted member 6794

Will be interesting to see if Allison makes a splash in preseason. Been hearing a lot of good things.

Allison had one catch for 10 yards yesterday. He was targeted twice more with one of the passes by Marquise Williams being intercepted on an underthrown ball and on the other one Allison not being able to hold on to a slightly underthrown ball in tight coverage.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How is it almost every WR thread turns into a Jeff Janis rehash.

It may be just me but it seems like every WR the Packers have is a better WR than Janis so when a WR thread is about any other WR except him its hard not to wonder why he is making the team instead of them. I think it is pretty clear however that Janis is making the team (if he in fact does) based on his ST ability and not his prowess at WR.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How does everyone still hate on Janis when he made one of the most impressive catches ever last season vs a very good Arizona defense. Both Janjs and Abby did things no other WRs on the roster could do most the season let alone in the playoffs vs Arizona. They got open and caught the ball.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How does everyone still hate on Janis when he made one of the most impressive catches ever last season vs a very good Arizona defense. Both Janjs and Abby did things no other WRs on the roster could do most the season let alone in the playoffs vs Arizona. They got open and caught the ball.

It's not hate to wonder if STs play alone will allow the 8th best WR on the roster, who is now also hurt, to make the team

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not hate to wonder if STs play alone will allow the 8th best WR on the roster, who is now also hurt, to make the team

I don't think he's the '8th best' WR on the team, but when you're the best ST player on the team, yeah, ST play alone can allow you to make the team. If the Packers keep 6 WRs, which I think they will, chances are they will have 5 active on gameday with the 5th being pretty much exclusively a ST role.

I agree that the injury may be a game changer depending on how much time will be missed. Not sure if he is an IR candidate or not.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Its also not hate to question whether, despite that one catch, he has the smarts to be able to develop into a solid NFL WR when past performance, sans one game, seem to indicate not.

For the last time (maybe,) no one hates Jeff Janis. Some of us just prefer to take a more reasonable and cautious approach to his abilities based on his entire career and not one game. I'm sure every single person who has taken the cautious route regarding Janis would love to be proven wrong. We are just not very optimistic about his chances.

I just wonder if the Geronimo Allison hype train will ever reach they level of Jeff Janis. It's off to a pretty good start and the guy has 1 catch in a preseason game so there are some similarities already.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its also not hate to question whether, despite that one catch, he has the smarts to be able to develop into a solid NFL WR when past performance, sans one game, seem to indicate not.

For the last time (maybe,) no one hates Jeff Janis. Some of us just prefer to take a more reasonable and cautious approach to his abilities based on his entire career and not one game. I'm sure every single person who has taken the cautious route regarding Janis would love to be proven wrong. We are just not very optimistic about his chances.
Since he probably doesn't play the rest of the preseason Janis definitely is in danger of not making the 53. The fracture in his hand gives Geronimo Allison a shot to show what he is capable of. Last night wasn't much of a sample.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't think he's the '8th best' WR on the team, but when you're the best ST player on the team, yeah, ST play alone can allow you to make the team. If the Packers keep 6 WRs, which I think they will, chances are they will have 5 active on gameday with the 5th being pretty much exclusively a ST role.

I agree that the injury may be a game changer depending on how much time will be missed. Not sure if he is an IR candidate or not.

Janis is currently the sixth best wide receiver on the roster at best. In my opinion he will still make the final roster because of his performsnce on special teams if he's healthy by the start of the season.

Otherwise he might end up on injured reserve.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bush made a career out of being the 8th best DB on the team, but the best special teams player so, there is no indication that Janis can't stick on the team due to that. If his progress as a useful WR is stunted though, then they should move on.

Wish we could have seen more out of the WRs, but given the QB play, they only provided coaches with game tape to review rather than stats for us.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wish we could have seen more out of the WRs, but given the QB play, they only provided coaches with game tape to review rather than stats for us.

That's a good point and that's why preseason games may not be the best indication of how a player is doing. If a WR is getting reps with Rodgers, or even Hundley, in practice he may be able to show much more of his abilities than in a preseason game with a lesser QB. We see the preseason games and a player looks like he may not be doing well but how much of it is because he is playing with other bottom of the roster, soon to be cut, players? In the case of the WRs maybe the most you can look at is the route running and being where he is supposed to be rather than did he make the catch. Its also something we don't always see from the broadcast.

I've always maintained that very few players play themselves onto a roster based solely on preseason game performance. If a player doesn't have it in practice several good snaps in a preseason game are probably not going to make much of a difference in the coaches and GMs opinions. This holds especially true when its late in the game and he is going up against a bunch of future unemployed players. Maybe they should play their bottom of the roster guys against the first team to get a better sense of how they will do against NFL talent.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts