Geronimo Allison Hype.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been hearing a lot of hype around Allison in training camp and I'm really excited to see what he can do during preseason. Has anyone actually seen him play in person? I'm curious to what other Packer fans think of his situation.

I have to admit I was very excited to see us get him as a UDFA and really hope he makes the team by replacing Janis. He adds to the height element and seems to be a very good athlete with a nice pair of mitts.

D

Deleted member 6794

According to several reports Allison has been the best rookie receiver during training camp so far. I'm not convinced he has a chance to make the final roster though as he doesn't seem to offer a lot playing special teams.

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to several reports Allison has been the best rookie receiver during training camp so far. I'm not convinced he has a chance to make the final roster though as he doesn't seem to offer a lot playing special teams.

Ya that's the problem. Although Janis hasn't done anything on offense to guarantee a spot, he excels on special teams. I think Allison is going to have to explode in preseason in order to make the team.

D

Deleted member 6794

Ya that's the problem. Although Janis hasn't done anything on offense to guarantee a spot, he excels on special teams. I think Allison is going to have to explode in preseason in order to make the team.

In my opinion Allison is a candidate for the practice squad. He will get a chance to make the team if there are injuries at the position during preseason though.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watched a few Illinois games last season and he has a long frame and glides across the field to find holes in the defense. He has talent to warrant a future in the NFL. But, and maybe this is just my hope talking. I dont see Allison making the roster over Janis. Like previously mentioned, Janis is a value on ST. Its unfortunately looking like Abby doesnt make the 53 man roster. And ive read countless reports praising Abby this offseason. He probably gets picked up by another team if he doesnt make our team. That leaves a PS spot for Allison, assuming he doesnt also get picked up.

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watched a few Illinois games last season and he has a long frame and glides across the field to find holes in the defense. He has talent to warrant a future in the NFL. But, and maybe this is just my hope talking. I dont see Allison making the roster over Janis. Like previously mentioned, Janis is a value on ST. Its unfortunately looking like Abby doesnt make the 53 man roster. And ive read countless reports praising Abby this offseason. He probably gets picked up by another team if he doesnt make our team. That leaves a PS spot for Allison, assuming he doesnt also get picked up.

I'm worried with all of the hype surrounding Allison, he'll get snatched up off our PS just like Johnson did and Johnson had less hype.

D

Deleted member 6794

Its unfortunately looking like Abby doesnt make the 53 man roster. And ive read countless reports praising Abby this offseason. He probably gets picked up by another team if he doesnt make our team. That leaves a PS spot for Allison, assuming he doesnt also get picked up.

During the first few weeks of training camp I've gotten the impression that Abbrederis is a lock to make the roster. I agree that it's possible a team in need of a wide receiver could pick up Allison if the Packers try to stash him on the practice squad, especially if he shines during preseason games. The Packers most likely have to take that risk though as there is only a limited amount of spots for WRs on the 53.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Abby is said to have been outstanding throughout camp. I think Allison is gone if put on PS.

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Abby is said to have been outstanding throughout camp. I think Allison is gone if put on PS.

I understand that if Abby is playing really well he makes the team, but damn his injuries scare me. I almost want to say that if Allison and him are neck and neck, I'd rather have the unknown as far as injuries are concerned. I do realize they are different types of receivers though.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand that if Abby is playing really well he makes the team, but damn his injuries scare me. I almost want to say that if Allison and him are neck and neck, I'd rather have the unknown as far as injuries are concerned. I do realize they are different types of receivers though.

Read that Abby put on 10-15 lbs of muscle in the off season. That could help with his durability.

D

Deleted member 6794

Abbrederis is a far more polished receiver than Allison though. Hopefully him adding some weight this offseason helps prevent some of the injuries he has suffered in the past.

Last edited by a moderator:

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion Allison is a candidate for the practice squad. He will get a chance to make the team if there are injuries at the position during preseason though.

Yes. Obviously, unless there are a lot of injuries at WR, there is no room for him on final 53. GB has been known to stash two or three WR projects on the PS, so if Allison continues to perform well, that's where he'll end up.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WR is the one position we need to get right. So if Allison is doing really well and shining, then he needs to be on our final roster. Especially if hes showing signs of beating press. We need someone like that, clearly.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand the hard-on that some folks clearly have for Janis. Why is his roster spot a foregone conclusion?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
It's also possible that it puts more pressure on his ligaments and bones though right?

Source: Not even close to being a doctor.
IANADr but IIRC last season's "injury" was a concussion from slamming his head in the first week of practice. Body size or mass or ligaments and bones had no bearing on that.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand the hard-on that some folks clearly have for Janis. Why is his roster spot a foregone conclusion?
He was an amazingly effective gunner and that role kept Jarret Bush on the roster for years. Also, Janis played better against Arizona last year then Bush ever did as a DB.

I'm really curious to see what they do at WR this year. It's hard to see them keeping all the guys getting hyped right now.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was an amazingly effective gunner and that role kept Jarret Bush on the roster for years. Also, Janis played better against Arizona last year then Bush ever did as a DB.

I'm really curious to see what they do at WR this year. It's hard to see them keeping all the guys getting hyped right now.

A: Janis is facing much better competition then Bush ever did.

B: No that Aizona game was not better then anything Bush ever did. SB anyone?

Really this belongs in the Janis thread in anycase cause its allready been addressed

D

Deleted member 6794

Yes. Obviously, unless there are a lot of injuries at WR, there is no room for him on final 53. GB has been known to stash two or three WR projects on the PS, so if Allison continues to perform well, that's where he'll end up.

Unfortunately other teams are allowed to pick Allison up without any compensation if the Packers try to stash him on the practice squad.

WR is the one position we need to get right. So if Allison is doing really well and shining, then he needs to be on our final roster. Especially if hes showing signs of beating press. We need someone like that, clearly.

Even if the Packers decide to keep seven wide receivers on their final roster I don't expect Allison to grab one of the spots as long as all of the guys ahead of him on the depth chart stay healthy.

Janis will most likely make the team because of his performance on special teams.

A: Janis is facing much better competition then Bush ever did.

B: No that Aizona game was not better then anything Bush ever did. SB anyone?

Bush had an up-and-down game during Super Bowl XLV with an interception that set up a Packers touchdown but he gave up one as well.

Janis performance at Arizona should be rated higher.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every year there is a player or two who make a splash in camp and then dissappear. I would love for Geronimo to succeed, if nothing else but for his cool name. I can here the PA guy now on every TD catch "Geronimo!!!!!!!!"

There is a shift in the NFL. For the last 20 years, WRs have fotten bigger and bigger. Every team was looking for big strong DBs. It takes a while, but eventually the demand for big strong dbs to counter these WRs is met. Now with all these big DBs how do you counter that? Quick little guys who are more maneuverable. So the short term future of the NFL WR looks more like Antonio Brown and Odell Beckham.

Geronimo is going into the strength of DBs and has his work cut out for him. Good luck to him, I will be rooting for him!

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If I've said it once I've said it 100 times, he has 4 career regular season catches... FOUR. I never have and never will understand the hype around him. You're telling me they can't find a fast guy to run down the field and is willing to tackle a punt returner? Come on. I don't care if he's good on special teams, we found out the hard way last year how the WR's look when we have guys who can't play the position and he was exhibit A.

He doesn't have QB1's trust, he runs terrible routes and seemingly isn't very smart. I heard a story from one of the beat reporters the other day that Davante and Cobb were doing some drill off to the side. Janis walks over to participate, and he had to be told multiple times what they were doing so he could partake. He just doesn't seem like he gets it.

Staff online

Members online