Game 1 - What Are You Looking For?

Reaction score
(aside from a title that doesn't end its sentences with prepositions, that is)

Aside from the obvious, ie no injures etc, what are you guys hoping from the game tonight?

I want to see great field vision from Hundley, I want to see good pass blocking from the RBs, I want to see coverage from the DBs that shows some instinct as well as fundamentals, I hope somebody - anybody - gets some pressure on their QB, and I would love to see the safeties lining up at ILB (though I'm not sure how much Nitro we can really expect to see before real game 1)

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
-Hundley to show out.

-One or two of the rookie backs to set themselves apart.

-The competition among the 4th-8th receiver spots.

-The quality of the edge rushing depth.

-The play of Randall and Rollins.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All eyes on Hundley....
On def, I want to see the dline depth. Alot has been said about lowry and price. I assume guions release has some to do with their successes. I am not convinced, and I'm unhappy about the move.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm watching how hundley looks, how King looks, the rb competition and if Monty can pass block, the wr competition with special attention on Clark and mccaffrey, how aggressive josh jones actually is.

Wildcatk23

Repeat?
Reaction score
Clay Mathews missing wide open sacks . Defense giving up long 3rd downs . God it's to early to ***** but we can't tackle .

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
;)I'm looking for sure tackling and stubborn defense. Looking for Randall to not get hurt...whoops first defensive series...oh well... Fire Capers.

Packer4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just can't wait for a new season to start. And then, all I see is the same old crap. Injuries,penalties, giving up big plays and no run game. Preseason or not, this system is so stale it stinks. It seems management is perfectly content to just make the playoffs. It's disgusting.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
^^^^This guy gets it LOL

Throwing in the towel already. Clearly the man understands what's going on

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
I just can't wait for a new season to start. And then, all I see is the same old crap. Injuries,penalties, giving up big plays and no run game. Preseason or not, this system is so stale it stinks. It seems management is perfectly content to just make the playoffs. It's disgusting.
Come on man. The D rebounded from the slow start.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
preseason is just praying no one gets hurt. that's all~!

Prayer not answered :eek:

My take aways:
  1. No running game, is Monty legit?
  2. Love Michael Clark, I hope he is a quick learner of playbook and running routes
  3. Missed tackles
  4. We are loaded at WR
  5. We are loaded at TE
  6. D Line looks good
  7. Kevin King can hit, but can he cover?
  8. Vogel can punt inside the 20, but can he kick for distance?
  9. Davis is our punt returner
  10. Packers offense is a mess without Rodgers
  11. Taysom Hill will have that TD ball in his trophy case
  12. We need better helmets and stretching excercises
  13. I know better to enter the shoutbox this time of year, where I am certain there were ledge jumpers.

Last edited:
Reaction score
So far we're ready to fire a coach, demote our #2 QB and write the Defense off for the year.. and the first preseason game isn't even over yet! Thank you Trevor for saving the day! The suicide hotline was just heating up :whistling:
How about that MCaffrey kid, seemed like the only one not going backwards!

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone else notice Kenny Clark? He was nearly unblockable in run defense.

Also, is it really that hard to grasp that preseason team results mean absolutely nothing? I mean the Jaguars just beat the Patriots today. I don't get why year after year people freak out about anything in the preseason (other than injuries to key guys).

Last edited:

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I took away two positives from that game:

1. Kenny Clark
2. Trevor Davis in punt return

One negative (aside from injuries):

1. Kevin King looked so confused and just awkward out there. Not going to put to much into this because is Game 1 of preseason and he is a rookie. But he really was cringe-worthy. Reminded me of a pre-teen at his first dance standing 3 feet away from the girl. No swag whatsoever.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I liked what I saw of the DL, Clark and Lowery in particular. I don't really know who the back ups were going against, didn't pay attention, but they were getting decent push and saw lots of effort as well.
I think Gannon hexed the safeties. He no sooner got done talking about how great of a tackling group they are and Burnett, Brice and everyone else seemed to miss a tackle right on cue and "shoulda" been tackles for loss turned into 10 yard gains. ( I may be exaggerating so don't quote me)

Overall, there was so good play out of the defense. Those misses wouldn't even concern me in the least had we not just seen a season of it last year. But I am maintaining they have a lot of time to clean things up, so we'll see. I wasn't expecting it all to be solved in preseason game 1.

Did not like 1st team run game success. Fumble, blocking didn't seem to be there. After that though, I did like WIlliams. He looks like a RB. Didn't see much from whoever came next, Jones? By the end it was such a cluster i take nothing from it unless I can watch it again and focus in. Was Rip being held out? I could of swore Kerridge got most of the work early, or all of it even. I wasn't paying that close of attention at FB. I heard he's fumbled a few times in camp. If we have a guy that can do what Rip does and hang on to the ball too, i have no doubt we only keep one and it's not Rip if that's the case.

I liked all the WR's. Hope Dupre is ok. he took a good shot. All they guys were battling out there. Hundley has to step up. Underthrowing a lot, but looked to be in control most of the time. his INT I think was because he expected McCaffery to clear out that defender and he was actually throwing to the deeper receiver, but he rant right into him, holding them both up. By the time he started into his route again, Hundley was throwing it and the defender was right there.

He has to see that, hopefully he learns from it. At least that was my interpretation. The 2 yahoos announcing the game said he was looking for Max, but I don't think so, and they hardly showed any replays last night at all. and you couldn't rely on them to accurately tell you what was happening on the field. I get that your job is being paid to talk, but I'd prefer they actually talk about things really happening on the field rather than a bunch of lines they may have memorized or are currently reading off of a script.
M. Clark looks like he could catch that TD pass all day long. I just get the feeling he could make the team and get 14 passes to him all year and all 14 would be a high back shoulder in the endzone for TD's.

Callahan sure is fun to watch. He just goes with whatever he feels like. can move and throw. Has to learn when to protect the ball some.

Didn't like all the injuries. Seems we're off to a great start. Randall doesn't need a concussion, he needs to practice and get better. Other than that TD play there was nothing too terrible out there. King's coverage needs a lot of work along with some others, but I think everyone's expectations should come back down to earth after seeing it first hand last night. Kid can come up and tackle well, and that's important too, but there's more to being a CB. As for Jones, I didn't see anything from him that stood out at all, other than a whiff where he was mostly left standing and didn't even grab air. Certainly not what I was expecting after reading about all this praise. Other than his arm sleeve out there, I wouldn't have even known he was on the field. Dix, Burnett and Brice are clearly our best safeties.

Brice was just an injured finger. Maybe he's held out of contact, but i'm not worried about him. Barclay was competing for a back up spot. His injury looked to be longest lasting. Might make some happy, but at this point i'm fine with competition. I'd rather guys earn it, than win it because their competition was injured. I'm sure there's more but that's all I have off the top of my head.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Noticed on the Eagles' first drive, that the Packers blitzed and played tight man to man nearly every play. They even played tight on a 2nd and long play.

They might have been trying to test to all their corners and give them situations to evaluate them rather than worry about stopping the Eagles.

King did get beat twice, but overall when the defense only gives up 9 points, the CB play was mostly solid.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Noticed on the Eagles' first drive, that the Packers blitzed and played tight man to man nearly every play. They even played tight on a 2nd and long play.

They might have been trying to test to all their corners and give them situations to evaluate them rather than worry about stopping the Eagles.

King did get beat twice, but overall when the defense only gives up 9 points, the CB play was mostly solid.

This is why i am so back and forth on this defense. Before I get too much into it, I agree with your initial statement that they were putting guys in positions to evaluate rather than "win" any particular down. Sure beating your guy is always the goal, and they didn't on some, but it shows where they need work and good at this point int he season.

But back to the defense. is it coaching? is it players? on that one drive, almost every positive play by the Eagles, was because a Packer player "missed" on a pretty perfect defensive call. Saw more than a few guys whiff in the backfield on what shouldhave been a TFL. Nobody is going to convince me that Brice can't tackle or hit, yet he missed 1 or 2. Burnett may not be Nick Collins, but he's not junk either and he was missing on a play or 2 that would have shut them down, instead an ill timed miss and instead of getting off the field, it's a 1st down or something. Clay Matthews may be overpaid right now, but he's not garbage out there either and he missed as easy of a sack as you'll get. I'm hoping his intensity and focus is more in the regular season than in a 1st quarter preseason game, but practice like you play, especially against another team. Perfect play call, mostly executed well, until it wasn't. and then it goes for TD.

King needs work and that's understandable. Rollins has to know you can't go high on a guy that's 6 inches taller than you with much longer arms and has a couple LB's on you. Get lower to go thru the stiff arm and just wrap up. Don't get de-cleated on a freaking stiff arm.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is why i am so back and forth on this defense. Before I get too much into it, I agree with your initial statement that they were putting guys in positions to evaluate rather than "win" any particular down. Sure beating your guy is always the goal, and they didn't on some, but it shows where they need work and good at this point int he season.

But back to the defense. is it coaching? is it players? on that one drive, almost every positive play by the Eagles, was because a Packer player "missed" on a pretty perfect defensive call. Saw more than a few guys whiff in the backfield on what shouldhave been a TFL. Nobody is going to convince me that Brice can't tackle or hit, yet he missed 1 or 2. Burnett may not be Nick Collins, but he's not junk either and he was missing on a play or 2 that would have shut them down, instead an ill timed miss and instead of getting off the field, it's a 1st down or something. Clay Matthews may be overpaid right now, but he's not garbage out there either and he missed as easy of a sack as you'll get. I'm hoping his intensity and focus is more in the regular season than in a 1st quarter preseason game, but practice like you play, especially against another team. Perfect play call, mostly executed well, until it wasn't. and then it goes for TD.

King needs work and that's understandable. Rollins has to know you can't go high on a guy that's 6 inches taller than you with much longer arms and has a couple LB's on you. Get lower to go thru the stiff arm and just wrap up. Don't get de-cleated on a freaking stiff arm.

The Eagles also missed many tackles. The missed tackles could be from hardly practicing tackling in months due to the practice rules prohibiting a lot of contact.

Mistakes are going to happen in the first in the first significant live contact.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The 2 yahoos announcing the game said he was looking for Max, but I don't think so
Kevin Harlan and Rich Gannon. They were definitely rusty and not in regular season form, but let's face it, they aren't starting material when they are on. I heard them misidentify a few players over the course of the night. In their defense, those are 2 big rosters to try to memorize or refer to quickly. That Hundley interception appeared to be a pass intended for Allison and if it was, it was probably a bit underthrown and poorly timed with McCaffrey crossing underneath.

But back to the defense. is it coaching? is it players? on that one drive, almost every positive play by the Eagles, was because a Packer player "missed" on a pretty perfect defensive call.

Way too many missed tackles from the starters on defense last night. Like you said in an earlier post, if we hadn't seen that theme over and over last season, I would write it off to the veterans playing a little tentative in a meaningless preseason game, not wanting to sustain a major injury. But if they don't clean that up by the regular season, this defense is going to allow opponents way to many opportunities to keep drives going while frustrating and wearing down our defense in the process. Our defense at times seems to be playing well, then you see them make a mistake or two and the ball starts rolling.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Anyone else notice Kenny Clark? He was nearly unblockable in run defense.

Also, is it really that hard to grasp that preseason team results mean absolutely nothing? I mean the Jaguars just lost to the Patriots today. I don't get why year after year people freak out about anything in the preseason (other than injuries to key guys).

Agreed, I think you meant that the Jags beat the Patriots (31-24)? But yes, the score of preseason games mean nothing, these are glorified scrimmages with other teams to evaluate players. Packer coaches will have a lot of film to study today and see some positives and negatives while doing so.

Staff online

Latest posts