Game 1 - What Are You Looking For?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Noticed on the Eagles' first drive, that the Packers blitzed and played tight man to man nearly every play. They even played tight on a 2nd and long play.

They might have been trying to test to all their corners and give them situations to evaluate them rather than worry about stopping the Eagles.

King did get beat twice, but overall when the defense only gives up 9 points, the CB play was mostly solid.
The one thing that impressed me about King is that he is not afraid to hit someone. I did not expect such an aggressive tackler. Now if he can work on his coverage skills . . . Oh, and one other thing, when he got beat deep, his play looked like he was playing up and expecting safety help on top.

Brightest spot for me? WRs. I think the WR race is going to be exciting with at least 2 of our cuts not clearing wavers. In order: Dupree, Mcaffrey, Yancey, Clark, and Davis. Maybe Allison is not a lock as I thought.

The worst performance on the day was done by the refs. Thought they missed some obvious calls.

Huntley was the biggest disappointment for me, with all those WR weapons, he should have lit it up.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed, I think you meant that the Jags beat the Patriots (31-24)? But yes, the score of preseason games mean nothing, these are glorified scrimmages with other teams to evaluate players. Packer coaches will have a lot of film to study today and see some positives and negatives while doing so.

Fixed it now. Thanks for the correction

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Fixed it now. Thanks for the correction

Anytime. ;) Sounds like some Patriot fans are taking that loss hard too. LOL I only read one board and lots of negatives about their defense getting pushed around, dumpster fire in the secondary, etc. Somehow, I wouldn't be too worried about the Patriots and the product they put on the field come September.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The one thing that impressed me about King is that he is not afraid to hit someone. I did not expect such an aggressive tackler. Now if he can work on his coverage skills . . . Oh, and one other thing, when he got beat deep, his play looked like he was playing up and expecting safety help on top.

Brightest spot for me? WRs. I think the WR race is going to be exciting with at least 2 of our cuts not clearing wavers. In order: Dupree, Mcaffrey, Yancey, Clark, and Davis. Maybe Allison is not a lock as I thought.

The worst performance on the day was done by the refs. Thought they missed some obvious calls.

Huntley was the biggest disappointment for me, with all those WR weapons, he should have lit it up.

All those wide receiver weapons, did you see all of those drops? It's tough to keep momentum when your guys are bungling first down throws on 3rd down.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anytime. ;) Sounds like some Patriot fans are taking that loss hard too. LOL I only read one board and lots of negatives about their defense getting pushed around, dumpster fire in the secondary, etc. Somehow, I wouldn't be too worried about the Patriots and the product they put on the field come September.
There are posters here who if they were pats fans would be calling for Bellichecks head.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
There are posters here who if they were pats fans would be calling for Bellichecks head.

tis the season to wildly over react to things which most of us do not understand!

Just imagine had the Packers not have had a penalty on what appeared to be them lining up and going for it on 4th and 2 from inside their own 30 on that first series! Had they failed to pick up the first down, Fire MM!!

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't recall many drops. Saw some great grabs though.

I saw some dropsies and the JS review of Hundley's performance pointed this out as well.

"It was an imperfect debut, but Hundley overcame a barrage of sloppy play from the Packers offense to post a solid start. He completed only 8-of-15 passes for 90 yards, but those numbers were deceiving. Four of Hundley’s incompletions were dropped.

Twice in the second quarter, Hundley threw strikes to complete third-down slants: one to tight end Martellus Bennett for 13 yards, and another to Geronimo Allison for 10."

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sport...dley-shows-command-imperfect-debut/556071001/

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember the drop Janis had, but I also remember him really underthrowing Adams who had beaten his man. He made a tough adjustment look easier than it was and made the catch.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I remember the drop Janis had, but I also remember him really underthrowing Adams who had beaten his man. He made a tough adjustment look easier than it was and made the catch.
Adams dropped one early as well. While I can't remember all the drops, there were a few more than you like to see, but IMO nothing to worry about, especially when AR is delivering a better ball. My biggest negative from the game, besides the injuries was the continuance of missed tackles by some of our starters. Maybe they were playing it a bit safe for fear of getting injured in a meaningless game, but we saw too many missed tackles by our defense during the 2016 regular season, not to be concerned it hasn't been corrected.

If I am MM and Dom Capers, the next practice I am working double time on tackling drills and CMIII is getting triple time.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Think some of our beat writers made a little too big a deal of our DB's taking down Pumphrey. That kid is tiny.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adams dropped one early as well. While I can't remember all the drops, there were a few more than you like to see, but IMO nothing to worry about, especially when AR is delivering a better ball. My biggest negative from the game, besides the injuries was the continuance of missed tackles by some of our starters. Maybe they were playing it a bit safe for fear of getting injured in a meaningless game, but we saw too many missed tackles by our defense during the 2016 regular season, not to be concerned it hasn't been corrected.

If I am MM and Dom Capers, the next practice I am working double time on tackling drills and CMIII is getting triple time.

Eh first in game action of the season, our guys will be better in future games. As for CMIII bear in mind that Carson Wentz gets paid to play the game too, he's only a 6'5 240 pound beast of a man. With 90% of the QBs in this league thats a sack, I also wager that Clay would have come with more violence in the regular season.

Agreed overall on the tackling though.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Think some of our beat writers made a little too big a deal of our DB's taking down Pumphrey. That kid is tiny.

He had a really nice punt return, fortunately for us, the Eagles got called for a hold on it. I read his comments after the game and he said:

"These guys, they fly to the ball," Pumphrey said. "That's why they're paid to play."

"That's one of those things where the game speed is completely different," Pumphrey said. "In college, stuff like that, you can break those. In the NFL, you see guys, they stay square and they didn't fall for certain moves."

Good to know he thinks our defense is full of great tacklers :D

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Eh first in game action of the season, our guys will be better in future games. As for CMIII bear in mind that Carson Wentz gets paid to play the game too, he's only a 6'5 240 pound beast of a man. With 90% of the QBs in this league thats a sack, I also wager that Clay would have come with more violence in the regular season.

Agreed overall on the tackling though.

I wouldn't have cared much about the Clay whiff last night, if it hadn't been an issue in previous years with him. Sometimes I think Clay has the mentality of "it has to be a bone crushing highlight reel sack" and he overlooks just making the sure tackle.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't have cared much about the Clay whiff last night, if it hadn't been an issue in previous years with him. Sometimes I think Clay has the mentality of "it has to be a bone crushing highlight reel sack" and he overlooks just making the sure tackle.

It didn't look like he threw himself at Wentz, it looked he tried to wrap up and just kind of fell off his man. Look up Carson Wentz avoids sack and you'll see a few plays where he either jukes ducks or just slips would be tacklers, he's a big strong guy with a remarkable amount of balance and body control.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It didn't look like he threw himself at Wentz, it looked he tried to wrap up and just kind of fell off his man. Look up Carson Wentz avoids sack and you'll see a few plays where he either jukes ducks or just slips would be tacklers, he's a big strong guy with a remarkable amount of balance and body control.

So was CMIII at one time, which was the reason he was paid so much. I get it, there are some slippery QB's out there, but the hope for most fans is that CMIII returns to his old form and that miss reminded me a lot of his new form. I haven't give up on Clay yet, but he is one player the Packers are going to need to rely on to play at a high level.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought the first team looked really rusty and out of sync initially but as the game wore on the got more in rhythm. Not good to see that fumble by Montgomery. He's got to clean that up.

Good to see the defense hitting hard and taking the ball away. So that's what they're supposed to do.

I know a lot of people have been down on Barclay but I was really sorry to see him go down like that. Guy cannot catch a break.

I thought Vogel's punting was ok. Didn't see the whole game so I don't know if Crosby kicked any FGs.

All in all it was a good place to start.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Packers run blocking and running itself was horrid last night. I will stick to my thoughts from last year about Monty. He can be a very good back, when he has a an initial hole to run through or he his coming out of the formation to catch a pass. But he doesn't seem instinctual at finding/making a hole and so far in his short stint at RB, doesn't seem to be able to make any yards when there is no hole. As much as some complained about Lacy, Lacy usually could make something out of nothing and get a little extra at the end in doing so. The 3 rookie RB's have to be licking their chops seeing a lot of carries if they prove themselves worthy. As much as we love our OL to protect AR, run blocking doesn't seem to be one of their strengths either.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Wentz is a big and athletic. There are a lot of big, athletic guys in the NFL. Matthews' job is to sack big, athletic people. There's no excuse for missing that tackle.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
CMIII seems to play at one speed.....all or nothing. Too often he ends up with nothing at the end of the play. As the roster stands now, the Packers are clearly better with CMIII on it, just frustrating to know what he is getting paid AND the Packers seem content, by the moves they made or didn't make in the offseason, to keep paying him.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think circumstances need to be considered. It's been gone thru a lot this offseason, but our roster, available moves to even be considered, and our own cap came into play. If it was as easy as ditching underperforming expensive guys for younger performers they would have.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think circumstances need to be considered. It's been gone thru a lot this offseason, but our roster, available moves to even be considered, and our own cap came into play. If it was as easy as ditching underperforming expensive guys for younger performers they would have.

With the Cap space we currently have and almost a near $11M savings had Clay been cut, I don't know how you can say our cap came into play? I think just like TT does with his own guys, he expecting great things from Clay and releasing him or finding a FA OLB wasn't even on his radar.

Again, I haven't give up on Clay, but the least the Packers should have done in the offseason, was spend some cap on a legit backup to him and Perry. Let's hope that guy is already on the team.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
again, circumstances beyond just today would give a better picture of cap implications. I will say this, everything I have to say about Clay Matthews, I've said 10 times on other threads over the summer. It is not a surprise to me at all that he is on this roster and he has a chance to earn his money. It will also not be a surprise to me at all that if he has another year like last, there will be a re-structuring or just an outright cut of him next year. Until next year gets here, i'm done talking about why he's here. Nothing against you, i've just done it already, and he's here. I'm going to live with it until it makes sense to do something about it.

as for backups, Barwin was about the only guy I saw as a legitimate addition and that was mostly on what I knew of him from before. I really have no idea what I would expect from him this year.

Members online

Latest posts