Future Salary Cap

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone else a little worried about the team salary cap wise in a few years? With how much Rodgers and Matthews are making, we still have to resign Cobb and Nelson. Lacy is going to need a new contract after the 2016 season and if he progressively improves from his rookie season, he's going to be worth a good amount of money. I'm not sure how much the cap increases in the NFL, but I feel like we're going to have a lot of money tied up in just 5 guys. I'm worried that it's going to make it hard to get quality players at other positions. What do you guys think?

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gotta win when your core players are young and cheap or old and cheap, with enough money left over to afford solid role players. that's just the way it works these days.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They have a plan in place I wouldn't be too worried about it. They do it the right way instead of teams like Dallas and Pitt who are constantly having to restructure in order to create cap room but really only create future problems.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to Tom Pelissaro (sp?), Packers have 5th or 6th most in adjusted cap space this offseason apparently. TT has been planning for this and will make sure they are in a good position to afford the key players. And, thanks to TT's approach, we'll continue to draft and develop the next set of core players in case we need to let one or two go.

D

Deleted member 6794

According to Tom Pelissaro (sp?), Packers have 5th or 6th most in adjusted cap space this offseason apparently. TT has been planning for this and will make sure they are in a good position to afford the key players. And, thanks to TT's approach, we'll continue to draft and develop the next set of core players in case we need to let one or two go.

It's great to have a lot of cap space right now, but we'll need a lot of that before the season starts to fill major holes on defense.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're assuming they re-sign both Nelson and Cobb. I wouldn't be shocked if they let one of the two walk when their contracts are up. Team has a very good running game now and you're paying Rodgers as the best QB in the NFL, he doesn't need two great WRs, Rodgers should be able to make good WRs (like Boykin) look great in this offense.

Let's remember, Tom Brady won Super Bowls where his best two WRs were Troy Brown and David Patten in 2001, Deion Branch and Troy Brown in 2003 and David Givens and David Patten in 2004. If you're going to pay your QB to be the best in the league then you don't need to have the best WR group.

Also, Lacy is a ways away, let's see how he looks after McCarthy runs him into the dirt for the next couple seasons.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
What’s going to happen this off season and next season? How will that affect next off season and the season after that, and the one after that, etc. Since we don’t know the answers to any of that, I suggest we worry about one season at a time.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What’s going to happen this off season and next season? How will that affect next off season and the season after that, and the one after that, etc. Since we don’t know the answers to any of that, I suggest we worry about one season at a time.

exactly... I tend to think all of the facts show we're more likely to be in great shape than the opposite, but that could change quickly.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're assuming they re-sign both Nelson and Cobb. I wouldn't be shocked if they let one of the two walk when their contracts are up. Team has a very good running game now and you're paying Rodgers as the best QB in the NFL, he doesn't need two great WRs, Rodgers should be able to make good WRs (like Boykin) look great in this offense.

Let's remember, Tom Brady won Super Bowls where his best two WRs were Troy Brown and David Patten in 2001, Deion Branch and Troy Brown in 2003 and David Givens and David Patten in 2004. If you're going to pay your QB to be the best in the league then you don't need to have the best WR group.

Also, Lacy is a ways away, let's see how he looks after McCarthy runs him into the dirt for the next couple seasons.
If would be a change in direction from how they have built the offense. Talented WRs giving us an advantage in the mismatch. Very few teams have the personel to match up. Seahawks do obviously but that's about it.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Numerous posters want us to make a pricey splash in FA with little regard to the future.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Give me Rodgers and Lacy. We just need to work on dline, oline and lbs. Those three can make everyone else look good or bad. I love Nelson, Cobb and Jones but really Rodgers can do fine with just decent wrs plus TT seems to be really good at finding wrs.

D

Deleted member 6794

Numerous posters want us to make a pricey splash in FA with little regard to the future.

You just don't get it that it's possible to sign some free agents to reasonable deals (safety and DL or ILB) without mortgaing the future.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You just don't get it that it's possible to sign some free agents to reasonable deals (safety and DL or ILB) without mortgaing the future.
No it's not possible to sign Byrd to a "reasonably priced deal". When will you get that going after big names isn't feasible long term unless you want to sacrifice?

D

Deleted member 6794

No it's not possible to sign Byrd to a "reasonably priced deal". When will you get that going after big names isn't feasible long term unless you want to sacrifice?

I've never suggested to sign Byrd, nor can't I remember anyone else here doing that.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It should however be possible to sign Chris Clemons, Rafael Bush or Michael Mitchell to reasonable deals. Free agency doesn't just include the best players at a position. "Free agency" encompasses mid- and low-tier free agents as well.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It should however be possible to sign Chris Clemons, Rafael Bush or Michael Mitchell to reasonable deals. Free agency doesn't just include the best players at a position. "Free agency" encompasses mid- and low-tier free agents as well.

I expect that TT will sign some lower tier FAs and yet the critics will complain he doesn't dabble in FA

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expect that TT will sign some lower tier FAs and yet the critics will complain he doesn't dabble in FA

I agree and I personally think there is something to be read into Rodgers comments about his excitement and the "new window" comment.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts