Fußball-Bundesliga

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Bundesbiers, have you every gone to Lutherstadt Wittenberg? There is a little cafe on the square by the town building that serves the nicest butteriest beer I've ever had. You'll have to give it a try some time, and their asparagus dish was to die for. I'd love to have some of that again.

Also, we all watched the end of the Packers season this weekend, so now we can spend some time watching REAL football. Training started back up. It won't be long!

I have not been to Wittenberg. I do have plans to See Berlin this time around, so that would seem a likely stop on the way up to Berlin.

Unfortunate for the Pack for sure. I knew it would be a tough game against the 9ers. My team is still in it and travelling to Denver next week to try and continue the magic.

But as always, I'm looking forward to the return of Bundesliga.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I have not been to Wittenberg. I do have plans to See Berlin this time around, so that would seem a likely stop on the way up to Berlin.

Unfortunate for the Pack for sure. I knew it would be a tough game against the 9ers. My team is still in it and travelling to Denver next week to try and continue the magic.

But as always, I'm looking forward to the return of Bundesliga.

In Berlin, I liked Potsdamer Rex Pils. It's pretty common there, but I thought it was a good beer. I tried to get our local distributor to stock it, but he checked into and said it's not available in the U.S.

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
In Berlin, I liked Potsdamer Rex Pils. It's pretty common there, but I thought it was a good beer. I tried to get our local distributor to stock it, but he checked into and said it's not available in the U.S.

I'll definitely check out the Rex Pils. I like Pils a lot. Herron Pils and Jever are some of my favorite pils in Germany.

I'm lucky that I can get 3 Bamberg braurei's biers in bottles in Las Vegas. Schlenkerla Rauchbier, Spezial Rauchbier, and Mahr's biers.

1. FC Koeln doesn't play again until 9 February against SC Paderborn in their quest for promotion. Game will start at 04:30 my time so I'm looking forward to it.

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Question für die Deutschen.

1. How do you guys like how Jogi Loew is running the national squad? Happy? Someone else would be better?

2. Is Schürrle good enough to start in the midfield for the national squad?

3. Is Miroslav Klose going to be on the 2014 Brazilian squad? If so, is Mario Gomez favored playing over Klose?

4. Any idea if Jogi prefers a certain formation? 4-4-2? 4-2-3-1?

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Question für die Deutschen.

1. How do you guys like how Jogi Loew is running the national squad? Happy? Someone else would be better?

2. Is Schürrle good enough to start in the midfield for the national squad?

3. Is Miroslav Klose going to be on the 2014 Brazilian squad? If so, is Mario Gomez favored playing over Klose?

4. Any idea if Jogi prefers a certain formation? 4-4-2? 4-2-3-1?

Dann will ich mal, oder gibt es hier noch andere Deutsche ? :D
As it seems that Im the only German here I'll try to answer your questions as good as possible.

1. I like Jogi but he had to face some criticism, to me for good reason.
He has the most gifted team since 1990 and hasnt won a title yet.
At the 2012 Euro he made some adjustments before the match against Italy that were obviously wrong and we lost.
He has to do it better now, it has to be the title this time, expectations are rocket high.
But dont get me wrong - I think overall most of the German football fans think he is doing a good job.

2. I like Schürrle and his style of playing football and to me he is good enough to start, but it depends on who we are playing.
As he is playing for Chelsea I assume PackerFan71 can give us more details how he is doing at the moment and if he has improved at Stamford Bridge. ? I rarely see him playing at the moment.

3. As long he isnt injured Klose will find a place in the Brazil squad. Jogi still prefers him over Kiessling, despite of his age. I'm not sure if Gomez or Klose will start, I see Klose slightly favoured.

4. Usually Jogi seems to prefer a 4-2-3-1 formation with Klose or Gomez up front. Müller can play this position too as he is one of the most versatile players in the squad.

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
As it seems that Im the only German here I'll try to answer your questions as good as possible.

At the 2012 Euro he made some adjustments before the match against Italy that were obviously wrong and we lost.
He has to do it better now, it has to be the title this time, expectations are rocket high.
But dont get me wrong - I think overall most of the German football fans think he is doing a good job.

2. I like Schürrle and his style of playing football and to me he is good enough to start, but it depends on who we are playing.
As he is playing for Chelsea I assume PackerFan71 can give us more details how he is doing at the moment and if he has improved at Stamford Bridge. ? I rarely see him playing at the moment.

3. As long he isnt injured Klose will find a place in the Brazil squad. Jogi still prefers him over Kiessling, despite of his age. I'm not sure if Gomez or Klose will start, I see Klose slightly favoured.

4. Usually Jogi seems to prefer a 4-2-3-1 formation with Klose or Gomez up front. Müller can play this position too as he is one of the most versatile players in the squad.

Schürrle is doing very well at Chelsea he's an excellent prospect, and most importantly getting regular first team apperances. He's very enthusiastic and a good worker with an eye for goal. Hopefully he does well for the national side aswell in the summer. :tup:

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score

I thought Croak was German too. :confused:

I agree with you as far as the most talented team since 1990. I don't know why Italy seems to be the bogeyman for Germany. I, as an American was also surprised at the lineup against Italy. Ugh. I had them going all the way.

Klose will be 35 by the time world cup starts? I think Gomez is the better start, but I haven't seen him play since he left to play in Serie A. If they played a 4-4-2, could you see Klose and Gomez up front?

Since Jogi prefers the 4-2-3-1, if Podolski is healthy, will he automatically be the attacking winger on the left side or does he need to prove himself in the upcoming months leading up to the World Cup?

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score

I agree with you as far as the most talented team since 1990. I don't know why Italy seems to be the bogeyman for Germany. I, as an American was also surprised at the lineup against Italy. Ugh. I had them going all the way.

Klose will be 35 by the time world cup starts? I think Gomez is the better start, but I haven't seen him play since he left to play in Serie A. If they played a 4-4-2, could you see Klose and Gomez up front?

Since Jogi prefers the 4-2-3-1, if Podolski is healthy, will he automatically be the attacking winger on the left side or does he need to prove himself in the upcoming months leading up to the World Cup?

Actually I'm a bred and born U.S. citizen. My roots are German with extended family in Germany. Dad was in the U.S. Navy in WWII, while his cousin was a Luftwaffe Pilot. I used to travel to Germany because I was on a committee to organize partnerships and theological colloquies between churches in Germany and Central Pennsylvania. I love the Bundesliga and have been an avid soccer fan since I coached Jr. High School teams in N.Y. back in the early 90's.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score

I dont see Jogi playing with Klose and Gomez as they are too similar. Schürrle or even Kruse and Sam would be a better fit.
A healthy Podolski will surely find his place in the squad but I doubt that he will be automatically in the starting lineup. Schürrle, Reus and Götze can play this position as well.

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Actually I'm a bred and born U.S. citizen. My roots are German with extended family in Germany. Dad was in the U.S. Navy in WWII, while his cousin was a Luftwaffe Pilot. I used to travel to Germany because I was on a committee to organize partnerships and theological colloquies between churches in Germany and Central Pennsylvania. I love the Bundesliga and have been an avid soccer fan since I coached Jr. High School teams in N.Y. back in the early 90's.

Ok, now I got it. That's really cool stuff. I've loved the Bundesliga for a long time as well.

But still...
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
I dont see Jogi playing with Klose and Gomez as they are too similar. Schürrle or even Kruse and Sam would be a better fit.
A healthy Podolski will surely find his place in the squad but I doubt that he will be automatically in the starting lineup. Schürrle, Reus and Götze can play this position as well.

It's nice to have amazing depth. :tup:

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Indeed, but I hope it will be enough depth to win the World Cup ;)
I hope Khedira will be back soon but I expect him to miss Brazil 2014.

I imagine it's safe to assume he is out for the World Cup. Quite unfortunate of his injury.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I`ve just been watching a thing about Oliver Kahn. What became of him Mhnessie ?

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I`ve just been watching a thing about Oliver Kahn. What became of him Mhnessie ?
He hosts football shows on German TV and doing some commercials, Bill. ;)
Man, I grew up with him and we all hated him. When he stood in his goal in front of our home standing area bananas where thrown at him. :rolleyes::D
But he gained a lot of respect during the World Cup in Korea and no doubt he is one of the best goalies ever. :tup:

I

Man, I grew up with him and we all hated him. When he stood in his goal in front of our home standing area bananas where thrown at him. :rolleyes::D
But he gained a lot of respect during the World Cup in Korea and no doubt he is one of the best goalies ever. :tup:

I was really impressed that he showed compassion to the Valencia goalkeeper when Bayern won the European cup. He refused to celebrate with his team, and consoled the other goalkeeper who was in tears at the time.

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score

I didn't like him when he played for Bayern just too aggressive and full of himself, but it has to be said he was for me second only to Schmeichel as the best keeper of his era.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't like him when he played for Bayern just too aggressive and full of himself, but it has to be said he was for me second only to Schmeichel as the best keeper of his era.
Oh yeah, Schmeichel is legend. Didnt he have a son playing somewhere in the EPL too?

I

You guys aren`t old enough to remember Lev Yashin, who was the USSR goalie in 1966. Awesome goalkeeper

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Oh yeah, Schmeichel is legend. Didnt he has a son playing somewhere in the EPL too?

Yepp your right Nessie, Casper Peter Schmeichel has played for a few teams (a bit of a journeyman) and a decent player. :)

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
You guys aren`t old enough to remember Lev Yashin, who was the USSR goalie in 1966. Awesome goalkeeper

He's before our time but i know the name, as a very good keeper in our local league had the nickname ''Yashin'' i dont think he played in all black though. :)

I

He's before our time but i know the name, as a very good keeper in our local league had the nickname ''Yashin'' i dont think he played in all black though. :)

One you may know too Gordon Banks. Even if you hate us English, there was a great Goalie, although I know you`ll disagree with me...lol ;)

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
One you may know too Gordon Banks. Even if you hate us English, there was a great Goalie, although I know you`ll disagree with me...lol ;)

No you would be surprized, i think Banks was a very good player, and Bobby Moore was a legend and a gent. (Just him though...............)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts