Free throws!!! My gawd!!!

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Bucks and Philly. My gawd, they makes millions and can't hit an uncontested shot. Good gig if you can get it.

OP
OP
weeds

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
That is putting it lightly. I'm going to do my Bucks bandwagon on-boarding early this year. For what the NBA is, that was an entertaining game. I like Lillard ... because HE hit free throws. 17 for 17. A man amongst boys. 39 points in his first game as a Buck. Let's not even talk about the 8 3's he missed - let's talk about the 4 he hit...those fall-back, launch off one leg with one hand, my god...the guy was amazing. Still miss #21, but Lillard's performance last night eased the pain.

I'm always amazed at how an NBA team (I'm looking at you Milwaukee) can have a 19 point lead, lose it all...be down by 8 with 7 minutes left and come back and win. Pace of the game and all that but man, when these guys start draining 3's no lead is safe.

Excellent product. Last night anyway - it is still going to be interesting to see how the Bucks match up with the Celtics and All-Star band they've put together.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dame looked better than advertised. He has never played with anyone close to Giannis, so there may be some synergies there and they both become more effective. Giannis didn't have his best night, when they are both hot, it could be something very special.

But, I won't be watching many games this year. NBA is foolish to do primarily PPV to watch games. I will not be buying any packages to watch the Bucks. This greed will kill the NBA and deprive them of most of the next generation of fans. Make it free and get 4x the audience and 4x the ad revenue. Grow the fan base and in a few years have 15x the audience. It will make the revenue from the package seem miniscule.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dame looked better than advertised. He has never played with anyone close to Giannis, so there may be some synergies there and they both become more effective. Giannis didn't have his best night, when they are both hot, it could be something very special.

But, I won't be watching many games this year. NBA is foolish to do primarily PPV to watch games. I will not be buying any packages to watch the Bucks. This greed will kill the NBA and deprive them of most of the next generation of fans. Make it free and get 4x the audience and 4x the ad revenue. Grow the fan base and in a few years have 15x the audience. It will make the revenue from the package seem miniscule.
Dame looked great. Giannis tried to extend himself too much. He didn't play his game, he tried to be an outside shooter. That is definitely not his game. His 4th quarter shot selection was terrible. Add to that, he couldn't hit a free throw if the bucket was the size of Lake Michigan. Fortunately, They had a team effort. Dame, in my opinion, may well be the best player on the Bucks roster, even better than Giannis in his own right.

In the last minute and a half, when Giannis would get the ball, and hold it, my heart jumped into my throat. Even on their last trip down the court, when he was holding the ball near mid court. I breathed a sigh of relief, and told my wife I was glad they got him to pass the ball to Dame, who's a 91% lifetime free throw shooter. When he was fouled, and made both, there was no way for Philly to get back in it. It was a 4 point lead, and they needed it to win. If Giannis had been the one fouled, we would have either ended up in OT, or lost by one. There's no way a person 2-10 is gonna step up and make 2.

OP
OP
weeds

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Have to ask ... and yeah, it's early in the season, I understand.

Has Lillard's offensive generation been worth the complete and utter trade-off of defense-for-offense? Even before the CBS Sports blistering of Lillard's effort defensively, I had noted it also and have to ask if there's enough balls on the court for both he and "G"?

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have to ask ... and yeah, it's early in the season, I understand.

Has Lillard's offensive generation been worth the complete and utter trade-off of defense-for-offense? Even before the CBS Sports blistering of Lillard's effort defensively, I had noted it also and have to ask if there's enough balls on the court for both he and "G"?

In my opinion, no. But in all honesty, I think the biggest part of the lousy defense has to do with coaching. Everything being done on the court by the Bucks is free lance, and defense is the forgotten element.

I'll bet Bud is just smiling and laughing at the clown show we're seeing. No discipline, no teamwork, and the communications is horrible. They gotta step up the defense, and coordinate their offensive efforts. And, if Giannis doesn't understand it's not his job to draw fouls with under 2 minutes on the clock, when we need the free throws, he has to be pulled. He should be guy they go to deep, along with Lopez, but never the guy out front with the ball, where they can foul him and we watch two misses to cost us games.

OP
OP
weeds

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Bucks get Indiana tonight! Oshkosh North grad.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
weeds

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Oh yeah, Giannis giveth and Giannis taketh away - AND - there is still little evidence of a defense even with Lillard sitting out with "calf soreness". Like the NFL ... the game has become a video game. *sigh*

I have to say that Haliburton did a pretty nice job. The little boy I knew plays like a full grown man -- and, by paying tribute to Leon's in Oshburg, has not forgotten his roots. This Leon's isn't related in any way to Milwaukee's Leon's, but I've been hitting that place since 1980 - used to love their foot-long chili dogs back when I had a young man's digestive system. ;)

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh yeah, Giannis giveth and Giannis taketh away - AND - there is still little evidence of a defense even with Lillard sitting out with "calf soreness". Like the NFL ... the game has become a video game. *sigh*

I have to say that Haliburton did a pretty nice job. The little boy I knew plays like a full grown man -- and, by paying tribute to Leon's in Oshburg, has not forgotten his roots. This Leon's isn't related in any way to Milwaukee's Leon's, but I've been hitting that place since 1980 - used to love their foot-long chili dogs back when I had a young man's digestive system. ;)
I'm still in for a chili dog! I'm 83, and have enjoyed them since I was a kid. I keep asking myself if it would be worth it to gain 3 to 6 months of life, by not enjoying things? Nope!

It reminds me of a story I heard.

Guy goes to the doctor. He's 62 years old. He gets a physical. Doc tells him he's in pretty good shape.

"Tell me Doc? Can I make it to 85?"

The Doctor looks at him, and asks; "Do you drink?" "No!"

"Do you enjoy a good steak, or huge slice of ham now and then?" "No!," He responds, adding; "I only eat specific foods to insure I have balanced meals. I avoid carbs, and fatty foods. I constantly diet."

"Do you smoke?" "No. Never!"

"Do you run around with a lot of women having a good time?" "Absolutely not!"

"Then," the Doctor asks, "why would you even want to live that long."

OP
OP
weeds

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I'm still in for a chili dog! I'm 83, and have enjoyed them since I was a kid. I keep asking myself if it would be worth it to gain 3 to 6 months of life, by not enjoying things? Nope!

It reminds me of a story I heard.

Guy goes to the doctor. He's 62 years old. He gets a physical. Doc tells him he's in pretty good shape.

"Tell me Doc? Can I make it to 85?"

The Doctor looks at him, and asks; "Do you drink?" "No!"

"Do you enjoy a good steak, or huge slice of ham now and then?" "No!," He responds, adding; "I only eat specific foods to insure I have balanced meals. I avoid carbs, and fatty foods. I constantly diet."

"Do you smoke?" "No. Never!"

"Do you run around with a lot of women having a good time?" "Absolutely not!"

"Then," the Doctor asks, "why would you even want to live that long."
That is absolutely correct! No brats, Doc? No way, just take me now.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is absolutely correct! No brats, Doc? No way, just take me now.
I actually make my own Sheboygan brats. There are none better. Some we do in casings, some we just use like burgers, where we do them on the grill, then put them in a beer bath that's heated for a few minutes, to get that added flavor. Our favorite beer for that bath is Leinie's. I used to use Red, but it's hard to come by, so when I get that, I drink it. Just Leine's for the baths now.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I actually make my own Sheboygan brats. There are none better. Some we do in casings, some we just use like burgers, where we do them on the grill, then put them in a beer bath that's heated for a few minutes, to get that added flavor. Our favorite beer for that bath is Leinie's. I used to use Red, but it's hard to come by, so when I get that, I drink it. Just Leine's for the baths now.
What about summer shanty?

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What about summer shanty?
I like Summer Shanty, but not nearly as much as Red Lager. Maybe it's the color? I do know that if the name on it is Leinie's, Im gonna be there tipping them with everyone. :)

Down here in South Texas, it's a rare find. I buy it when I can, but most of what I buy is Miller Genuine Draft, in bottles. I find that more often. It's what I offer visitors. If I have Leinie's, it's tucked away for my "private moments." I'm not always a sharing person. ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
weeds

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I actually make my own Sheboygan brats. There are none better. Some we do in casings, some we just use like burgers, where we do them on the grill, then put them in a beer bath that's heated for a few minutes, to get that added flavor. Our favorite beer for that bath is Leinie's. I used to use Red, but it's hard to come by, so when I get that, I drink it. Just Leine's for the baths
Speaking of brats ... I haven't been to Lambeau on game day since the 2011 opener against the Saints - by choice. That is until last Sunday versus the Rams. My son sold his tickets to get me a 4th row, section 125 birthday gift.

$11.50 for a freepin' brat. Last Saturday, I bought a 3 lb. box of Johnsonville's for $12...they were sitting in my fridge, all cooked up, as I was relegated to eating a $7.50 pretzel instead. No way I was paying $11.50 for a par boiled brat.

However, $58 for 4 tap beers at the Johnsonville tailgate facility. *sigh* ... I miss the ol' days where you could take a pillowcase full of beers in and share with your section.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speaking of brats ... I haven't been to Lambeau on game day since the 2011 opener against the Saints - by choice. That is until last Sunday versus the Rams. My son sold his tickets to get me a 4th row, section 125 birthday gift.

$11.50 for a freepin' brat. Last Saturday, I bought a 3 lb. box of Johnsonville's for $12...they were sitting in my fridge, all cooked up, as I was relegated to eating a $7.50 pretzel instead. No way I was paying $11.50 for a par boiled brat.

However, $58 for 4 tap beers at the Johnsonville tailgate facility. *sigh* ... I miss the ol' days where you could take a pillowcase full of beers in and share with your section.

It's gotten out of hand. The prices are beyond outrageous.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nobody's making anyone buy anything. Just like tickets to a ballgame, if people stopped buying, the prices have to come down.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nobody's making anyone buy anything. Just like tickets to a ballgame, if people stopped buying, the prices have to come down.
It's all that will work, from what I see. Not in my lifetime, but beyond, people will end up having to do PPV for games I think.

OP
OP
weeds

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
It's all that will work, from what I see. Not in my lifetime, but beyond, people will end up having to do PPV for games I think.
Oh, absolutely.... at some point, I see that too. For the time being though, the NFL lives and dies with the TV contracts from over-the-air networks. I'm believing that Spectrum for instance is pushing the envelope a little bit since my over-the-air channels seem to miraculously start pixelating during prime time - but - their cable offerings do not. I believe the cable companies still pull the hi-def, over-the-air channels down from the air, condense the broadcast to fit their system and just rebroadcast the free airway transmission.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, absolutely.... at some point, I see that too. For the time being though, the NFL lives and dies with the TV contracts from over-the-air networks. I'm believing that Spectrum for instance is pushing the envelope a little bit since my over-the-air channels seem to miraculously start pixelating during prime time - but - their cable offerings do not. I believe the cable companies still pull the hi-def, over-the-air channels down from the air, condense the broadcast to fit their system and just rebroadcast the free airway transmission.
I get reboots at times. Sometimes often enough that it's irritating, but never enough for me to buy Sunday Ticket. ;) I think you know what I mean.

I do get some pixelation with my both services. IPTV, and my regular cable service. Sometimes it takes a minute or two to clear up, but it's not too often.

I don't exactly know what you mean about the last part. I do know, that where I live, when I watched games on Fox, it was 720, and the other networks it was 1080. At least that's what my TV told me, when I checked. But, I do notice that some games are crystal clear, and it almost gives you a 3-D effect, while others are kind of grainy, and it's difficult to ascertain depths as well. I thought it might be weather, or some other factor like that, and discovered it wasn't the case. I was getting the same thing in all types of weather at the stadium.

With streaming, it's kind of a mixed bag. But, what I do like is that I can get the Packers games on local stations in Wisconsin, no matter where I'm at.

Something I found to be kind of neat too is that for some reason, on my Spectrum cable, which is supplied for us where we live, I can get Spectrum 1 out of Milwaukee, Green Bay, and Madison just by adding their numbers to my favorite stations. Now I can keep track of all the weather in the entire state. It kind of keeps me in touch with my homeland, as it were. I do miss Wisconsin, except when it gets cold. As an example, where I'm at the low last night was 64°, and the high today is 84°. It's pool time nearly every day. I just can't handle the cold any longer.

Members online

Latest posts