Free shots on QBs must end

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It has gotten to where defenses know if there was a holding flag on the offense, then they might as well take a free shot at the QB since they know the penalties will simply offset. You KNOW there has to be some DCs out there coaching their guys to do just that. I think that's what happened with Rodgers today. The rule needs to be changed so that if you commit a personal foul against the QB, then it overrides a holding penalty on the OL, rather than simply offsetting it.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
I think the refs need to pay more attention to cheap shots when a team is clearly defeated, the offense must also be a mindful of this when A-rod drops back for a pass.....

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It has gotten to where defenses know if there was a holding flag on the offense, then they might as well take a free shot at the QB since they know the penalties will simply offset. You KNOW there has to be some DCs out there coaching their guys to do just that. I think that's what happened with Rodgers today. The rule needs to be changed so that if you commit a personal foul against the QB, then it overrides a holding penalty on the OL, rather than simply offsetting it.
Good point chief.....
Notify Goodell about that idea.

I also want fewer hits on Rodgers period.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Getting fiesty Raptor? ;)
Nope. You have to remember that they offset for a reason. You want something to be done because something happened to your QB. Remember, it would be called that way on the Packers in the future as well. So lets make all of the "more bad" penalties more important than than the lesser ones. Holding is more important than offsides. Personal foul is more important than holding. You get the picture. Can't do it for one and not the others.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
I think they should just put skirts on the QB's and flags in the receivers and the lineman can play patticake. That way football would be a nice safe sport. Wouldn't want the game to revert back to the kind of play that made legends.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
This is how I say penalties should offset

Fighting.
Unnecessary Roughness, Roughing the Passer, Illegal Block, Illegal Hit on a Defenseless Receiver
Offsides, Holding, Illegal use of Hands, Pass Interference

Just my opinion on severity. Illegal use of Hands is one I'm struggling to categorize because, while perhaps not as much as the higher tiers, the increased potential for injury is there.

OP
OP
GreenBlood

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Nope. You have to remember that they offset for a reason. You want something to be done because something happened to your QB. Remember, it would be called that way on the Packers in the future as well. So lets make all of the "more bad" penalties more important than than the lesser ones. Holding is more important than offsides. Personal foul is more important than holding. You get the picture. Can't do it for one and not the others.

Yes you can because personal fouls are in a class of their own. Other penalties don't have anything to do with player safety. A helmet to the head does.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Yes you can because personal fouls are in a class of their own. Other penalties don't have anything to do with player safety. A helmet to the head does.
Fine, then make all personal fouls reviewable. Because I have seen many PF calls on defensive players hitting QB's that should have never been called. Matter of fact I do believe some Packer fans were complaining about such a call on one of their defensive guys earlier this year.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Fine, then make all personal fouls reviewable. Because I have seen many PF calls on defensive players hitting QB's that should have never been called. Matter of fact I do believe some Packer fans were complaining about such a call on one of their defensive guys earlier this year.
The refs haven't adjusted to making this call yet, and are erring on the side of caution, which I can respect. They will get better with time so long as they are held accountable.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts