Free Agent Targets

Status
Not open for further replies.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I figured as much but one can only hope. So I'm going to assume there's an open competition in camp between Patrick Taylor, Mike Weber, and Dexter Williams for the #3 back spot. I'd rather they not "waste" a pick on a RB late in the Draft.

What the Packers have going for them though in the case of Bernard is that the Bengals screwed him over and the market for him is thin to say the least. Vet minimum might work in this particular scenario, and we know he wants to play for a contender.
Lol, how did he get screwed over?

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm just wondering what his number would be.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

The Packers signing Bernard would only make sense if he agrees to the veteran minimum. I don't see that happening.

Lol, how did he get screwed over?

The Bengals waiting two weeks after the start of free agency to approach him about taking a pay cut made it more difficult for him to catch on with another team.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vet minimum on a guy like Gio would be freaking awesome, but I don't see it happening honestly. Be great to see if it did but doubt it.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The Packers signing Bernard would only make sense if he agrees to the veteran minimum. I don't see that happening.

The Bengals waiting two weeks after the start of free agency to approach him about taking a pay cut made it more difficult for him to catch on with another team.
He, like James White is very old in RB terms. In fact they played together in the same backfield in high school. Any word on why the Bengals did what they did?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He, like James White is very old in RB terms. In fact they played together in the same backfield in high school. Any word on why the Bengals did what they did?

The dead cap hit was next to nothing, but he would have been nearly a $5M hit had he played. Cutting saved them roughly 4.1M in cap hit for 2021 if Spotrac is right.

Makes a ton of sense from their perspective.

Gio however shocking is still south of age 30 - I was honestly shocked by that. He's been more a RB committee member over the years lately and is the perfect vet addition to a backfield if cheap.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Few Gio numbers while I still had his career page up:

29 years old and 137 days

Has played 10 or more games each of his 8 seasons, 5 seasons seeing all 16.

Averages 115 rush attempts a season - his last three however were (124(20) 53 (19) & 56 (18))
Averages 4.0 yards per
Over last three seasons average per is sub 4 though.
He has seen 30 receptions or more every single year (even his 10 and 12 game years).
He's only had two seasons with under 300 yards receiving (2019,2018)
Started 10 games last season

In many respects Gio would be the older - poor man's version of Jamaal. Skilled receiving option with plenty of pass blocking skills capable of if asked to carry the ball (inferior to Jamaal albeit though).

Vet minimum well worth it, especially if the draft doesn't provide someone for that #3 battle - or UDFA like a CJ Marable or another undrafted isn't nabbed.

Personally I still think Patrick Taylor is going to have a lot to say about that #3 spot.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lane Taylor to the Texans for one year. I had seen him if coming back healthy as a key to the offensive line having more options until Bak gets back.

D

Deleted member 6794

Lane Taylor to the Texans for one year. I had seen him if coming back healthy as a key to the offensive line having more options until Bak gets back.

Unfortunately it's a huge question mark if Taylor will be capable of performing up to his potential after suffering two consecutive season ending injuries.

GO GET HIM NOW

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I guess Richardson will ask for too much money for the Packers to have a chance to fit him under the cap.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In a little over a half an hour teams can sign free agents that will no longer count against them in the compensatory pick calculations. Who do you think gets signed? Any of the vets, Sherman etc etc. Do the Packers sign anybody?

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's a handful of veteran DTs out there I'd be interested in snagging for a year, but I'm pretty happy with the roster otherwise.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
They may just wait for roster cut downs, but it would seem like iDL, LB, and maybe OT are places they could look to add.

K.J. Wright, B.J. Goodson, and Avery Williamson catch my eye at LB.

Jurrell Casey and Sheldon Richardson are the interesting names at iDL.

If they feel like they're in a bind because of Bakh's injury, Russell Okung, Charles Leno, Alejandro Villanueva, Dennis Kelly, and Ricky Wagner are out there at tackle.

D

Deleted member 6794

In a little over a half an hour teams can sign free agents that will no longer count against them in the compensatory pick calculations. Who do you think gets signed? Any of the vets, Sherman etc etc. Do the Packers sign anybody?

The Packers don't have enough cap space to sign a free agent making more than the veteran minimum at this point.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers don't have enough cap space to sign a free agent making more than the veteran minimum at this point.
Are they allowed to sign someone and then find the cap space by a certain date? I wouldn't think so but don't know.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They may just wait for roster cut downs, but it would seem like iDL, LB, and maybe OT are places they could look to add.

K.J. Wright, B.J. Goodson, and Avery Williamson catch my eye at LB.

Jurrell Casey and Sheldon Richardson are the interesting names at iDL.

If they feel like they're in a bind because of Bakh's injury, Russell Okung, Charles Leno, Alejandro Villanueva, Dennis Kelly, and Ricky Wagner are out there at tackle.
How old is Sheldon Richardson now? Your lists are good, thanks for the research.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's a handful of veteran DTs out there I'd be interested in snagging for a year, but I'm pretty happy with the roster otherwise.
Agreed. At this point it's more a matter of luck as opposed to preparation (as far as who they might sign). Gluten addressed as many areas through the draft and FA as he could. Biggest hole seems to be iDL, someone to play next to Clark.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. At this point it's more a matter of luck as opposed to preparation (as far as who they might sign). Gluten addressed as many areas through the draft and FA as he could. Biggest hole seems to be iDL, someone to play next to Clark.
If he shows anything in camp Slaton on early downs, Keke on 3rd down? I think we're in better shape than last year unless ( knock wood) injuries deplete the DL roster.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he shows anything in camp Slaton on early downs, Keke on 3rd down? I think we're in better shape than last year unless ( knock wood) injuries deplete the DL roster.
I hope you're right. I don't know Slaton, but am hoping for a big third year from Keke. That would help the D a lot, and if Stokes can match his press. I did like the Stokes pick. Now he has tp prove it on the field.

So this year, and looking down the road a few years, the Packers should have one of their best defensive units in years. Depending on how the next QB performs, I'm not opposed to winning through D. It's worked for the Ravens, the Seahags, and Denver.

Reaction score
I hope you're right. I don't know Slaton, but am hoping for a big third year from Keke. That would help the D a lot, and if Stokes can match his press. I did like the Stokes pick. Now he has tp prove it on the field.

So this year, and looking down the road a few years, the Packers should have one of their best defensive units in years. Depending on how the next QB performs, I'm not opposed to winning through D. It's worked for the Ravens, the Seahags, and Denver.
Unless we are just stalling a few more weeks (to see what pans out with Rodgers contract situation) and we suddenly work a deal on a D-lineman. I doubt it though after signing Slayton also.
They might plan increasing Lancasters’ snaps. He’s been used sparingly there bouncing between ST and Defense. They obviously like him or he wouldn’t be here 4 seasons later.
Yeah Keke is prime to shine. This is around the time (experience wise) that you expect to see that hard work paying off. We’ve seen glimpses from him, he just needs to put it all together.

Agreed on there’s more ways to skin a cat as far as winning. Not taking away from Rodgers, but he’s been very effective and here we are a decade later with 1 SB win and not even so much as a SB appearance since. How much better does he have to play?

Im very comfortable with Gutes drafting and FA signings thus far. Let’s continue on

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless we are just stalling a few more weeks (to see what pans out with Rodgers contract situation) and we suddenly work a deal on a D-lineman. I doubt it though after signing Slayton also.
They might plan increasing Lancasters’ snaps. He’s been used sparingly there bouncing between ST and Defense. They obviously like him or he wouldn’t be here 4 seasons later.
Yeah Keke is prime to shine. This is around the time (experience wise) that you expect to see that hard work paying off. We’ve seen glimpses from him, he just needs to put it all together.

Agreed on there’s more ways to skin a cat as far as winning. Not taking away from Rodgers, but he’s been very effective and here we are a decade later with 1 SB win and not even so much as a SB appearance since. How much better does he have to play?

Im very comfortable with Gutes drafting and FA signings thus far. Let’s continue on
You make a good point. Rodgers (and Favre before him) did all they could, and they're both the type of QBs teams dream about. For whatever reason, the supporting cast has been lacking. As for the current situation, I don't like Gluten's or Murphy's communication/management style. That doesn't excuse Rodgers acting like a vengeful little child. It would be better for all, I think, to reach a resolution. And that could happen tomorrow, or never. As much as I'd like to see Rodgers pay a price, career-wise, for his actions, that's not productive. It seems like maybe he will play, or I'm sure they would have had a trade ready to go June 1.

And even if he does play, we don't really know how football-ready he is. He had a lot of nice photo ops in Florida and Hawaii with his latest girlfriend. Playing football seemed to be the last thing on his mind.

Reaction score
It seems like maybe he will play, or I'm sure they would have had a trade ready to go June 1.
Or maybe they’d already offered what our FO thinks is middle ground or the best of both worlds. A contract that amounts to a 1-2 year addition.. and then going with Love.
We know they’ve made him an offer to be one of the highest paid QB’s. I’m pretty sure it was at least 2 years plus an extra fluff year to recoup some trade value.
No Bueno

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts