Free Agent Signings for Packers or Elsewhere...

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he could have added 8-10 sacks I'd take him, I don't think his 3 sacks a year would do much for our defense

D

Deleted member 6794

If he could have added 8-10 sacks I'd take him, I don't think his 3 sacks a year would do much for our defense

There aren't any inside linebackers consistently getting 8-10 sacks a season. Hightower is for sure one of the best pass rushers at the position.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Vikings have signed RB Latavius Murray.

Well I have been clear on my feeling about Murray. The Vikings just got an extremely pedestrian running back. Behind that oline I would be shocked to see Murray put up even 4 ypc since he barely got that behind a far superior Oakland oline. They did struggle at 3rd and 4th and short so he should help them there. Sounds like the contract was very team friendly as they can opt out after year one.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There aren't any inside linebackers consistently getting 8-10 sacks a season. Hightower is for sure one of the best pass rushers at the position.
I know there aren't, so being one of the absolute best and getting 2.5 when we're lacking serious consistent pass rush makes me want to spend money elsewhere.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know there aren't, so being one of the absolute best and getting 2.5 when we're lacking serious consistent pass rush makes me want to spend money elsewhere.

It would be nice if we would have spent that money elsewhere though.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be nice if we would have spent that money elsewhere though.
sure it would be, but Perry was the best pass rusher in FA and he's here. small contracts to a guy like Barwin would be great. Hightower just made a boat load of money. Outside of 2 DB's that everyone is talking about and I admittedly know little about because they were on teams I don't regularly watch, there wasn't anybody I would have given that money too either.

we still have draft and cuts coming. Outside of a ravaging injury plagued season, and despite how it all looked last year, I'm not worried about the defense being the same or worse than last year. Fairly confident they'll be better, but I reserve the right to change my mind by the time the final rosters are shaping up 5 months from now.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sure it would be, but Perry was the best pass rusher in FA and he's here. small contracts to a guy like Barwin would be great. Hightower just made a boat load of money. Outside of 2 DB's that everyone is talking about and I admittedly know little about because they were on teams I don't regularly watch, there wasn't anybody I would have given that money too either.

we still have draft and cuts coming. Outside of a ravaging injury plagued season, and despite how it all looked last year, I'm not worried about the defense being the same or worse than last year. Fairly confident they'll be better, but I reserve the right to change my mind by the time the final rosters are shaping up 5 months from now.

I am more thinking about cb. There is a need there and they had the money to make a play. I do t disagree with your overall sentiment but if house and a draft pick are our only adds at cb I will be disappointed

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Get pressure up front and I don't think we need anyone else besides health with who we have and House + whatever comes in draft or cuts. I'd like them, but the difference in how the guys looked physically from year 1 to year 2 gives me reason for optimism they aren't actually that bad.

Schmidi23

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What do you guys think Connor Barwin would cost? His last contract with the Eagles was for 7.8 Mil/year.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am more thinking about cb. There is a need there and they had the money to make a play. I do t disagree with your overall sentiment but if house and a draft pick are our only adds at cb I will be disappointed
I'm still hoping for a big old veteran name. Either AP, Revis, or Poe... if we could maneuver two of those, I would be stoked... every day the price drops a little imo.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What do you guys think Connor Barwin would cost? His last contract with the Eagles was for 7.8 Mil/year.

Don't know much about other team's players, but have seen him all over the forum. Just for grins, http://overthecap.com/player/connor-barwin/875 has his last contract as somewhat less than you mention (although not enough to quibble about) but also shows almost ever stat has decreased steadily for the last three years. Plus, as noted below the quoted post, the longer these guys sit, the lower the projected contract.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barwin is a REALLY good guy in the community so am guessing he'd be a great vet presence in the locker room as well. I may be a bit high (not in the weed, 420 way), but I would think his next contract would be 3yr/$18Mil, maybe $4Mil signing bonus, $3Mil salaries in '17 & '18 and $8Mil in '19. Can cut that last year if production isn't there.

** Reply to comment below ~ early offseason I was suggesting cutting CM3 and freeing-up $11Mil on the cap... but doesn't appear that TT needs that cap space for a vet CB, so Barwin would be rotational/injury depth.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't know much about other team's players, but have seen him all over the forum. Just for grins, http://overthecap.com/player/connor-barwin/875 has his last contract as somewhat less than you mention (although not enough to quibble about) but also shows almost ever stat has decreased steadily for the last three years. Plus, as noted below the quoted post, the longer these guys sit, the lower the projected contract.
What position will he play? Olb?!?! We already have 27mil a year on average, committed to Mathew's and perry, over the next two years... we should spend that money on a cb or dlineman... or nothing is going to change...

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree there was no reason for the Packers to spend that much money on an inside linebacker.

I really have no idea why any Packers fan would feel comfortable about the current state of the defense. The unit struggled mightily last season and has lost more players than they have added with the only newcomer being another mediocre cornerback.

fistfullofbeer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree there was no reason for the Packers to spend that much money on an inside linebacker.

I really have no idea why any Packers fan would feel comfortable about the current state of the defense. The unit struggled mightily last season and has lost more players than they have added with the only newcomer being another mediocre cornerback.

Honest question. Does anyone really feel comfortable about this though? I mentioned this in a different post but going into 2017-18 with the current roster DB's and rookie DB's makes me cringe. If TT is willing to take a risk that big having managed one of the worst (if not worst) pass defenses in the league the season before, then I really have to question him.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Honest question. Does anyone really feel comfortable about this though? I mentioned this in a different post but going into 2017-18 with the current roster DB's and rookie DB's makes me cringe. If TT is willing to take a risk that big having managed one of the worst (if not worst) pass defenses in the league the season before, then I really have to question him.

It appears that TT has been drinking from the fountain of "good health and development will fix all". That is the only conclusion I can come up with if TT does nothing more to improve the defense besides the draft. There is still a lot of time, but the talent pool is getting shallow.

As many of us have been pointing out, the defense is the weak link with this Packers team and so far, it has gotten weaker in the off season.

Would love to know what Dom Capers is thinking. "Nap or sandwich?"

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

What about waiting 5 months till the rosters are set don't you understand? Should I keep freaking out because there are no games being played about our depleted and injured secondary?

They looked the same physically from year 1 and year 2? Yes or no?