Free Agency... Thinking Outside the Box

The_Virus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok, so lets take a break from some of the big names out there (ie Steven jackson. What about someone like Dan Conner as a depth signing? Cliff Avril perhaps?

H

HardRightEdge

Ok, so lets take a break from some of the big names out there (ie Steven jackson. What about someone like Dan Conner as a depth signing? Cliff Avril perhaps?

Cliff Avril is a pretty big name. Not sure what we'd do with a 4-3 DE, though, and a pretty expensive one at that. He did play LB in his first year in college, and he had 4.5 speed coming out, but I don't think you try to convert a proven 4-3 end in the prime of his career to an OLB. And if we did, what the heck are we supposed to do with Perry?

I must confess, I have no knowledge of Dan Connor.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Wouldn't mind a small deal with Shaun Phillips as a depth/rotational player. Still would like Alan Branch. Shonn Greene could be a nice complement to Harris. Brandon Myers might come cheap. Not sure if Kelvin Hayden could FS...

burt packerack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wouldn't mind a small deal with Shaun Phillips as a depth/rotational player. Still would like Alan Branch. Shonn Greene could be a nice complement to Harris. Brandon Myers might come cheap. Not sure if Kelvin Hayden could FS...

I was going to say the same thing about Shonn Greene. He has shown some effectiveness in the past and I believe he'll play harder if he's in an organization that isn't a complete joke. We would be able to get him a lot cheaper than Steven Jackson. Plus he's pretty young. I'm ALL for this pick up, if it ever happened. If we were to make ANY moves this free agency I would be the most excited about this.

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think I'm more comfortable in the box. I particularly don't like Shonn Greene, and I doubt he'd be much cheaper than Jackson.

burt packerack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greene had a 4 year contract for $2.65 mill and S. Jax had a 6 year contract for $44.8 mill.

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"had" is the key word. I'm not saying I like Jackson all that much, especially if he is expensive - which he won't be - not near as much as his old contract. Wasn't that the rookie contract for Greene? If so, it would probably take more to sign him even though he hasn't been all that great.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
S. Jax is likely to take a pay cut to play for a contending team because we all know the Rams aint done jack **** and frankly I don't blame him for wanting to leave and contend, he deserves it with his rushing accomplishments.

burt packerack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"had" is the key word. I'm not saying I like Jackson all that much, especially if he is expensive - which he won't be - not near as much as his old contract. Wasn't that the rookie contract for Greene? If so, it would probably take more to sign him even though he hasn't been all that great.
True that was his rookie year contract but i still think Jackson might be a bit more expensive. I just think Greeene could be a little more long term than Jax because he is a couple years younger and his best is yet to come.

burt packerack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
S. Jax is likely to take a pay cut to play for a contending team because we all know the Rams aint done jack **** and frankly I don't blame him for wanting to leave and contend, he deserves it with his rushing accomplishments.
I would like to see hm go to a contending team because he is a good player. IMO i think we have seen his best years already happen.
I think the Rams are making a little turnaround, even though they are still kinda weak.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Rams wont content in their division for a while. Their QB bradford stinks it up, they have their best WR on the FA market, their biggest weapon S. Jax is leaving......They do have a moderately good defense, but you can't win in this NFL without some heavy weapons on the offensive side.

burt packerack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't understand why they're letting everybody walk when they're starting to head in the right direction. Of course i don't know of their financial situation. They did sign Jared Cook, he's decent, but with Amendola and Jax leaving their offense still will get worse.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Rams did something we couldn't do...beat the Niners. In fact they tied them once and beat them once, us on the other hand ??? :eek: 0-2. obvioulsy they're not as bad as we think.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Caserly on NFL Network this morning said Jackson will likely get about a 3 year/$12 million deal.
That's the same money per year as the Colts just gave WALDEN!
Jackson is well worth that...... the thing is, his agent is also Jennings agent, and Jennings is trying to SQUEEZE every fricking dollar from our payroll he can.
I guess his sister needs to eat.

I say tell Jennings to hit the road, go catch passes from Weeden in Cleveland or Ponder in Minny.

We can use that same amount of money to add Jackson and Laron Landry or James Harrison or Dashon Goldson.
I'm not in love with Jennings anymore.
Driver never tried to **** the Packers. Neither has Matthews who continues to be underpaid big time.
Javon Walker & Jennings tried to **** us. I'm not okay with that.

burt packerack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Caserly on NFL Network this morning said Jackson will likely get about a 3 year/$12 million deal.
Jackson is well worth that...... the thing is, his agent is also Jennings agent, and Jennings is trying to SQUEEZE every fricking dollar from our payroll he can.
I say tell Jennings to hit the road, go catch passes from Weeden in Cleveland or Ponder in Minny.
Damn, well if Jax is going for that cheap then i will say welcome aboard. And yes Jennings is asking for way too much, i wouldn't be sad if he leaves. We got a few other players better than him (in my opinion) that deserve more than him.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Rams did something we couldn't do...beat the Niners. In fact they tied them once and beat them once, us on the other hand ??? :eek: 0-2. obvioulsy they're not as bad as we think.

They are also in the same division as the 9ers and play them year in and year out. Not to mention this is an "any given sunday" league. We beat the vikes and have been doing so fairly well now for some time, yet the vikes beat the 49ers......

Scotland Yard

What the hell is going on around here!
Reaction score
After the $ dries up in about a week, the Packers will pick up 2-to-3 players of Dan Connor's ilk for about 1.5mil/season.

So, I'm fully expecting the Packer's to pick up guys that will look like this:

FB P. Hillis 3-yr. $4mil
SS Bernard Pollard 3-yr. $6mil

I'd be happy with that because the safety problem has been glaring since Collins' injury and Morgan Burnett is a FS. Also, Pollard brings some size and toughness that is lacking in the secondary. Hillis goes to FB at 250 lbs. where he belongs and they save $ by cutting Kuhn...and Hillis is a better backup RB in a pinch than Kuhn IMO.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
After the $ dries up in about a week, the Packers will pick up 2-to-3 players of Dan Connor's ilk for about 1.5mil/season.

FB P. Hillis 3-yr. $4mil

I'd be happy with that because the safety problem has been glaring since Collins' injury and Morgan Burnett is a FS. Also, Pollard brings some size and toughness that is lacking in the secondary. Hillis goes to FB at 250 lbs. where he belongs and they save $ by cutting Kuhn...and Hillis is a better backup RB in a pinch than Kuhn IMO.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HillPe00.htm

One good season as the shinning turd on the cleveland browns and now gunna be going to his 4th team in 6 years???? He aint that damn good. Just because you get voted on to the cover of a madden video game don't mean your worth a crap. lol

burt packerack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will only be happy to have Hillis for a price cut and a position change to FB/short yardage back.

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We can use that same amount of money to add Jackson and Laron Landry or James Harrison or Dashon Goldson.
I'm not in love with Jennings anymore.
Driver never tried to **** the Packers. Neither has Matthews who continues to be underpaid big time.
Javon Walker & Jennings tried to **** us. I'm not okay with that.

I like some of those ideas for D!

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They are also in the same division as the 9ers and play them year in and year out. Not to mention this is an "any given sunday" league. We beat the vikes and have been doing so fairly well now for some time, yet the vikes beat the 49ers......

That's my point....Vikes and Rams play defense.

H

HardRightEdge

FB P. Hillis 3-yr. $4mil

I'm no fan of Hillis, but Pollard should be considered for the reasons you stated.

Members online

Latest posts