For non WI resident Packers fans...dont you hate THIS question?

H

HardRightEdge

I bore them with a story. ;)

At the age of 4 my family moved to Milwaukee the year Lombardi was hired, then moved to Pittsburgh the year he went to Washington. I've always been a Braves fan as well.

The key thing is to have a story in your pocket. Frequently the purpose of the the question is to determine if you're a bandwagon jumper.

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hear it all the time. My dad was a Landry fan( I wasn't a big Cowboys fan) Jones fired Landry when he took over and my dad quit watching football all together, until 1997 when I was watching the Packers play the 49ers in the divisional game game as he laid up with cancer . He asked" you like that qb and that team a lot don't you son?" He said I do too. Long story short made me that much more of a Packers fan and he died the Wednesday before super bowl XXXI and was buried that Friday.That is why I love and am a fan of this team. Sorry for the story. I did cry and get goose bumps when I see that highlight of Favre taking off his helmet after that first TD pass in the Super Bowl. I still have my SI VHS of that season. Go Pack Go

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am just the opposite. Growing up 30 miles from Green Bay no one can understand how it is possible that I became a Vikings fan. They think there must be something wrong with me. I should have been Packer fan because I grew up so close to Green Bay.
There is something wron
I am just the opposite. Growing up 30 miles from Green Bay no one can understand how it is possible that I became a Vikings fan. They think there must be something wrong with me. I should have been Packer fan because I grew up so close to Green Bay.
There is something wrong with you. ;)

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
Comes from a combination of being teased by Packer fans because I stuttered, a new color TV and watching a game between the Viking and the Packers, my love of the color purple at the time, and how much the Vikings winning annoyed the Packer fans at school. Mostly I don't blame those Packer fans that teased me, being a Viking fan in Packer country made me stand out. Which being a runt at the time, I never did. It would have been a lot harder had the Packers been consistent winners after Lombardi left, but they did me a favor by sucking for 20 years.

I think its amazing how many people choose their favorite team (usually at a younger age) based on the colors of the team. I know for me personally it was one of the reasons I became a packer fan..my favorite color was always green as a kid. It also helped that my parents are both from Wisconsin and I live in the Chicago area so i've always hated the bears.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I m from northern Wisconsin but have lived in So Cal for the last 30 plus years. I wear packer gear all season and I get that question all the time. However, I find it is an ice breaker, since most people that ask me know someone that is a Packer fan so it opens up some discussion. I have even had Bears fans ask me and then we reminisce about our hometowns and sometimes even places we both have been to back there.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well there is something wrong with you!:)

PackCrazed4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chicago Native on loan to Tallahassee, FL
I'm a born and raised Chicago Packer fan living in northern Florida, so I always get confounded reactions. The Super Bowl season was my freshmen year of college and I had all these looks of "Ok, bandwagoner" judgements all over campus. Thankfully facebook has made it pretty easy to prove my devotion (pictures from Favre era, etc). I do feel like I have to defend myself a lot, but it's ok, part of the fun of living away from the home state is getting the opportunity to be more vocal and proud of your team. I'm definitely defined a lot by my allegiance, almost everyone knows to get me Packer paraphernalia for the holidays and my birthday, so it's not all bad :D

She's_a_shareholder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Happens all the time....I grew up in VT and now live in CT. Apparently I'm supposed to be in love with Brady...no thanks. I'm a shareholder dammit! I BLEED green & gold!!! :p

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's what it boils down to. The Packers aren't "Wisconsin's Team." They are far more than that. Because they hail from a small town, they represent small towns everywhere. Small town America looks at Green Bay as being like them and every small town has a strong contingent of Packer fans. I lived in Green Bay for 10 years (and wish I had never moved away). Prior to that and after that, I live in a town of 4000 in east central IL. I personally know at least 30 Packer fans just off the top of my head and I'm sure among the other roughly 3000 people living here who I don't know, there is surely another hundred or so. (To compare, I only know 6 Cowboy fans that I can think of.) I think it's a pretty safe bet that most Packer fans actually don't live in Wisconsin.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was born in NY, NY. I live in NJ most of my life. I got into FOOTBALL at around 19 years old, no one in my family was hardcore in any sports...My mother married a packers fan and I started paying attention to them, (even though I would never see them that often live on TV) I loved the history, I loved the small blue collar like town they play in. I just kept up w/ them ever since and I've driven 19 hours to see them play in Lambeau. Seen them wearing the colors in the Linc, FEDEX field, & Metlife. I got asked the ? all the time...i'm tired of really answering it, so now I say, " I just really love cheese."

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of people pronounce it with a "sun" sound. "wis con sun" So many think the spelling is son, not sin. Idiots I tell you.

I can understand that. When you are talking quickly sometimes the IN doesn't come out clearly. I don't think its really intentional or even realized. Now the idiots I want to bash with a shovel are the ones who say "Whisky" or "Sconnie" and only somewhat less annoying "Sconsin"

People find out where I am from and say "Oh, so you're a Whisky fan?" I just look at them and say "I don't drink"

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I m from northern Wisconsin but have lived in So Cal for the last 30 plus years. I wear packer gear all season and I get that question all the time. However, I find it is an ice breaker, since most people that ask me know someone that is a Packer fan so it opens up some discussion. I have even had Bears fans ask me and then we reminisce about our hometowns and sometimes even places we both have been to back there.

I used to own a pet store and I would go to fish swaps and reptile swaps in IL all the time. I always wore a Packers shirt. At one show a guy walks by my table with his head down looking at the items I had laid out. Without looking up he picks up a couple of bags of fish off the table and says "I'll take these" He reaches into his pocket to get his money and only looks up when he starts to hand it over. He see's my Packers shirt puts the fish down and mutters something like "effin Packer fan" I just looked at the vendor to my left, who was wearing a Bears shirt, and we laughed our ***** off.

I wear Packers shirts most of the time. I dressed up (tan jeans not blue jeans and a button down shirt which for me is dressed up) for Christmas and a friend says "oh, you do own other clothes besides Packers.

I need a really good payday though because most of my Packers shirts are older and getting kind of ratty. They win 2 more games and I might have to spring for a whole new wardrobe.

bradwillrockyou

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love reading these responses. I can completely relate. I became a Packers fan when I was a little kid in the early 70's because my Dad was a Packers fan (from Iowa). It always seems like too much work explaining this to people (what NFL team are you supposed to like if your family is from Iowa?). It didn't help that my Dad was in the Army and we moved about every two years when I was growing up. And, of course, the Packers were awful for pretty much all of my childhood, Didn't matter. Packer Backer! Now I live in Seattle. Help Me! I can't stand the Seahawks or their obnoxious fans! Anyway, Green and Gold 'til I'm Dead and Cold :D

Alyssa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of my friends lives literally across the street from Lambeau and cannot stand the Packers. She's a huge Bears fan. I don't get it.

Cwoodson21

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am a longtime born and raised Pennsylvanian...my dad grew up in the Lombardi era, so naturally became a Packers fan and that was passed down to me (as it will be with our children). But I really really don't understand when I mention to someone that Im a Packers fan I always get "Oh, are you from there?".
Do you REALLY have to be a resident of Wisconsin to be a Packers fan? You NEVER ask a Cowboys fan if they are from Texas, or a 9ers fan if they are from California etc. With such a rich history why do people assume Packers fans are only from WI? Whaddup with that?
You shouldn't have to be answering that question. There are Packer fans all over the country that have never been to WI.

rickS724

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am a longtime born and raised Pennsylvanian...my dad grew up in the Lombardi era, so naturally became a Packers fan and that was passed down to me (as it will be with our children). But I really really don't understand when I mention to someone that Im a Packers fan I always get "Oh, are you from there?".
Do you REALLY have to be a resident of Wisconsin to be a Packers fan? You NEVER ask a Cowboys fan if they are from Texas, or a 9ers fan if they are from California etc. With such a rich history why do people assume Packers fans are only from WI? Whaddup with that?

Lived in Texas all my life, been a Packer fan for 21 years (my wife over 35 years) no one has ever asked us if we are from WI or GB. Maybe because we don't talk like we are from there. I lived in Houston for several years and there are many people from somewhere else so it isn't unusual to find fans of just about any team in the league.

CosmicRocker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I live in Easley, a small town in northwest SC. Born & raised in SC. I go over to Greenville, SC to Chiefs to watch the game with the Greenville PackerBackers. We have over 425 members. Several weeks ago, I was at a game. A couple came in and were looking around for a table. I invited them to sit at the table where I was. They sat down, and the first words out of the fellas' mouth was, "So, what part of Wisconsin are you from?" I said "I'm not. I'm from here." He didn't know what to say. Took him a while, but he was finally able to converse.

It was hilarious ! !

Members online