1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

For non WI resident Packers fans...dont you hate THIS question?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by VolvoD, Jan 10, 2015.

1. VolvoD

VolvoD Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +653
    I am a longtime born and raised Pennsylvanian...my dad grew up in the Lombardi era, so naturally became a Packers fan and that was passed down to me (as it will be with our children). But I really really don't understand when I mention to someone that Im a Packers fan I always get "Oh, are you from there?".
    Do you REALLY have to be a resident of Wisconsin to be a Packers fan? You NEVER ask a Cowboys fan if they are from Texas, or a 9ers fan if they are from California etc. With such a rich history why do people assume Packers fans are only from WI? Whaddup with that?

2. PackerDNA

PackerDNA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +937
    Heh, I get it all the time. "You're from New Jersey and you're a Packer fan???" Like I could only be a Giants or Jets fan.

3. Twiddlemylobes

Twiddlemylobes Fat Tuesday Orleans

Ratings:
    +513
    Your right.. I've been asked that many times.. I'm native to WI so I say.. "ever since that Brett Favre guy texted.. I've been a fan" They generally shake their heads and leave me alone after that..

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Raptorman

Raptorman Vikings fan since 1966.

Ratings:
    +1,005
    I am just the opposite. Growing up 30 miles from Green Bay no one can understand how it is possible that I became a Vikings fan. They think there must be something wrong with me. I should have been Packer fan because I grew up so close to Green Bay.

5. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +4,176
    But you gotta admit they have a point! :D

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,917
    How did you end up a Vikings fan?

7. red4tribe

red4tribe Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +436
    I've lived most of my life in New York(Although I'm currently in Vermont) and I always get asked that. I don't see why it's so weird to be a Packers fan, anyway. It's not like I'm a Jaguars fan. The Packers are a nationally popular team, with a long run of success. They are all over the country, yet people act surprised.

8. TJV

Ratings:
    +4,176
    He's related the story several times here. He was tragically dropped on his head as a child on a purple rug and he just hasn’t been … quite right … since. :D However, the location of his birth has made one of the more reasonable Vikings fans (a very small group).

• Funny Funny x 5
  9. Raptorman

Ratings:
    +1,005
    Actually I was thrown against a purple wall! :)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Raptorman

Ratings:
    +1,005
    Comes from a combination of being teased by Packer fans because I stuttered, a new color TV and watching a game between the Viking and the Packers, my love of the color purple at the time, and how much the Vikings winning annoyed the Packer fans at school. Mostly I don't blame those Packer fans that teased me, being a Viking fan in Packer country made me stand out. Which being a runt at the time, I never did. It would have been a lot harder had the Packers been consistent winners after Lombardi left, but they did me a favor by sucking for 20 years.

11. Packerlifer

Packerlifer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +514
    You oughtta try being a Packers fan in Wisconsin in the border area next to Minnesota.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Packerlover

Packerlover Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +362
    So this happens to other Pack fans? I get asked that ALL the time! I've never even been to Wisconsin!!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Zeck180

Zeck180 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +173
    I don't really have that problem in Northern, North East Iowa you're either a Packers fan or Vikings fan. Though I do have the problem when ever i'm in Wisconsin and everyone assumes i'm a Iowa Hawkeyes fan.

14. Raptorman

Ratings:
    +1,005
    Well, I have to say, anyone who has never been to Wisconsin, it's your loss. I would move back in a heartbeat if my wife could take the cold winter weather. I do go back on a regular basis to visit family, who are still trying to convert me to being a Packer fan.

And remember, the last word in Wisconsin, is sin. :devilish::D

15. Packerlover

Packerlover Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +362
    I was born in Mankato Minnesota!! I remember the freezing winters! Wisconsin winters are just as cold.. I hope to go to a game at Lambeau some day. As of now I am stationed in San Diego but make trips to Hawaii. I am used to the warm weather now.

16. TJV

Ratings:
    +4,176
    That's a good thing, isn't it?

17. Hincha

Hincha Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +29
    I now live in Argentina... most never watch football here and most never heard of the Packers. But most men are interested in learning a bit about the rules of "American Football" as they call it.

Raptorman... I have run into 1 Vikings fan here, young guy from Argentina that loves American Football. I will see an occasional jersey or tee shirt (maybe 1 time a month) for a team. NBA is much more popular here... they like/understand baseball even less than American Football.

Obviously my family here is now Packers fans... but only my father in law watches a game now and then.

But I did grow up close to Green Bay... so obvious how I became a fan.

18. Raptorman

Ratings:
    +1,005
    A lot of people pronounce it with a "sun" sound. "wis con sun" So many think the spelling is son, not sin. Idiots I tell you.

19. Dagger85

Dagger85 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +207
    Before I even clicked on the thread, I knew what the question was going to be. Living in the south, I've been asked that, especially since the majority of people are Cowboys fans in my area.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,917
    Thanks for the explanation Raptor.

21. TJV

Ratings:
    +4,176
    Absolutely.

And then there's the unfortunately popular wes-con-sun (as opposed to east-con-sun I guess).

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. PikeBadger

PikeBadger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +453
    I agree. That's sick. I'm convinced there IS something seriously wrong with you.

23. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    I'm a Cubs fan in Wisconsin which baffles people even though the explanation is simple. If I wanted to watch a baseball team growing up it was either the Braves or the Cubs on tv. Brewers? Never saw them on tv on a regular basis.

24. Sky King

Sky King Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +957
    Got questioned about it just today, although I can honestly claim that being a Packer fan is my birthright.

25. yooperpackfan

yooperpackfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +567
    Fortunately most of us "Yoopers" in Michigans Upper Peninsula Are Packers fans so it's usually only the odd Lions fan that will ask such a ridiculous question in an attempt to put us in our place.