Food for thought

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, I know many (myself included) have clamored for Mike McCarthy to be let go, and he may after this season, should it turn sideways again.

Now that we have hired 2 former head coaches in the OC and DC spots, and our penchant for familiarity... How would you feel about MM being fired, knowing that it would be highly likely with any modicum of success from either that his replacement would likely be named Pettine or Philbin? Neither was particularly successful as HC.

I like both hires, but I would be remiss if I didn't say that either of these guys getting the nod at replacing (should it happen) terrifies me.

Thoughts?

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My thought is that if McCarthy gets fired, they're not going to hire one of the coaches that assisted McCarthy in our team playing bad enough that he got fired. Just doesn't make sense.

And it's not likely that they hire an unsuccessful retreat as HC. Just don't see that as likely at all.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure firing McCarthy isn't even a discussion at 1265. When you consider the situations he has had to deal with, it adds up to him being a pretty damn good coach. For the last 7 years, TT has given him nothing but rookies and second year players to plug into the lineup when starters get hurt, and some of those seasons had a LOT of injuries. The fact that he has been able to get into the playoffs each of those years with multiple trips to the NFCC speaks volumes of him as a coach.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Gutekunst promotion (and structure of power) tells me that McCarthy's job is forever safe. Had Ball been promoted and provided full control, McCarthy likely would have already been terminated.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Gutekunst promotion (and structure of power) tells me that McCarthy's job is forever safe. Had Ball been promoted and provided full control, McCarthy likely would have already been terminated.

That McCarthy/Ball relationship seemed more awkward than a fart in an elevator.

As far as Philbin being the HC just go back and watch the 2012 HBO Dolphins Hard Knocks. His players hated him and he was nowhere near as smart as he thought he was. That would be the second coming of the Titanic.

Pettine- he was put in a crap situation from the start in Cleveland. I've heard different stories but honestly would have no idea what he can do with a team with a once in a generation qb. I'd prefer him as the DC so he can just focus on only the defense.

Last edited:

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy needs to win next year, and he knows it. If for some reason we struggle again, we could easily move on from him especially since he'd only have one year left on his contract.

VegasPacker

Cheeseman of the Board
Reaction score
There’s no way either of those guys are going to get that job.

This^

Some guys are HC quality...

Philbin and Pettine are the complete opposite. Philbin is best suited in his OC role in GB and Pettine should just consider himself lucky to have a job as a coordinator again.

McCarthy isn't going anywhere anytime soon. But he better hope his pick of Pettine pans out or all 3 will end up jobless.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah. A guy who has coordinated multiple top 10 defenses is just lucky to have a job. C'mon now.

VegasPacker

Cheeseman of the Board
Reaction score
Yeah. A guy who has coordinated multiple top 10 defenses is just lucky to have a job. C'mon now.

Is that why he went two years with ZERO teams offering him a DC role?...

Look I'm glad you guys have already creamed your pants over this hire....but I'll reserve my judgement. Can't shake the inside knowledge I have of this guy from his days in Cleveland. I still have a couple acquaintances that work directly for the Browns organization. I didn't want him from day 1.....but I'm crossing my fingers he learned something from his time and his mistakes in Cleveland.

Jed12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’ve never wanted MM fired and I don’t see it coming unless we have another repeat of this season with Rodgers back but I mean.... come on. New GM brings new opportunities and who knows maybe we can snap the trend and bring in some “win now” veterans with a good balance of plug in and play rookies to make use of Aaron’s time left with us.

I’m actually pretty optimistic about this team going forward

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is that why he went two years with ZERO teams offering him a DC role?...

Look I'm glad you guys have already creamed your pants over this hire....but I'll reserve my judgement. Can't shake the inside knowledge I have of this guy from his days in Cleveland. I still have a couple acquaintances that work directly for the Browns organization. I didn't want him from day 1.....but I'm crossing my fingers he learned something from his time and his mistakes in Cleveland.

I get that, but realize there's a difference between being a HC and being a DC. Pettine probably wasn't a very good HC, but he does have a good track record as a DC. We can't overlook that either.

Maybe he's a *****. He wouldn't be the first coach that is. I just want results, and his schemes have gotten results.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy needs to win next year, and he knows it. If for some reason we struggle again, we could easily move on from him especially since he'd only have one year left on his contract.
Just because they could doesn't mean they should.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It strikes me as odd to assume that Gutekunst, who we have no track record for, would fire McCarthy and then promote a guy that McCarthy just hired.

McCarthy himself was an outside hire. He had spent all of one season in Green Bay, out of the 20 he had already spent in coaching by the time he got hired in 2006, and that one season was 7 years before he actually got the head coach gig.

So why are we presuming that a coordinator gets promoted?