FO Needs to Stay Out of LaFluer's Way

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I absolutely hate the decision to retain Pettine. Here are his latest scoring defenses:

2011 (Jets) - 20th
2012 (Jets) - 20th
2013 (Bills) - 20th
2018 (Packers) -22nd

Could someone please tell me what they see in this guy? Where is this amazing track record? We just committed ourselves to another Don Capers. Mike Murphy needs to take remove himself from the decision making. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the defense kills us, YET AGAIN. Disgusted.
I think its been answered numerous times

OP
OP
P

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think its been answered numerous times

I've heard references to an excellent track record, which as I just pointed out, doesn't exist. He's been consistently below average. People were just so happy to move on from Dom that they were happy to only focus on the 1 or 2 good seasons he had almost a decade ago, and ignore that he hasn't coached a scoring defense ranked higher than 20 since then, and that he may have been out of the league for 3 years for a reason.

Everyone thought that Capers was so awful that anyone would be an upgrade, so they are basically convincing themselves of progress which just wasn't made last year.

The worst part is that during those 3 of those years, they were top 10 in yards allowed. They had talent, but as I keep saying, he couldn't stop anyone from scoring. A mark of a good defensive coach is his ability not to break. It has given NE top 10 scoring defenses every year. Pettine breaks. A lot.

I hope that he proves me wrong, but I am extremely disappointed and think this hire is nothing more than Murphy wanting to mettle .

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you not realize the defense was the reason we were in games we lost? The defense was actually a better unit than the offense this year. The points given up stat is misleading. Look at games like against the Rams and Patriots where we gave up 29 and 31 respectively and tell me the defense didn't do their job. Many of those points were given up late in games because the offense couldn't move the ball and the defense was gassed.

OP
OP
P

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you not realize the defense was the reason we were in games we lost? The defense was actually a better unit than the offense this year. The points given up stat is misleading. Look at games like against the Rams and Patriots where we gave up 29 and 31 respectively and tell me the defense didn't do their job. Many of those points were given up late in games because the offense couldn't move the ball and the defense was gassed.
Yes, the offense needs to do a better job of keeping the defense off of the field. But it's still an excuse. Several units were on the field longer and allowed fewer points. Tennessee, in particular, managed to be the #3 scoring defense despite the same predicament .

The defense was just poor in the red zone. He's been in the bottom half of the league in red zone defense 3 out of his past 4 years. That's extremely concerning.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
You can repeat the same hatred for him, but I think at least 75 percent see that injuries can affect a team..

We had a street free agent signed and start in a week.. To expect a coach to have positive plays in those situations is truly ignorant

All your *****ing won't change the fact he is THE DC

Example.. NE game... lost 3 starters in 3rd q and they held NE to 17 points going into 4th..

I belive these were the starters on opening day..

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

That line was no longer intact at the end

I think I speak for a lot here... Let it go already..

focus on free agents and the draft.. Let's see how this Def does this year.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just read this WHOLE thread... Time I will never get back.

Did Mike Pettine kick this guy's dog or call his wife ugly? Visceral over here...